Parallels build 3214 and Leopard?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robsoft, Oct 26, 2007.

1. tji

tji Bit poster

Official Response

Is there some place we can at least get an official response as to whether swsoft is still supporting this release? I don't really have a need to upgrade to the newer version. So, I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

But, the level of functionality we're getting now is not sufficient. A fix or upgrade is needed.

Also - it's not too impressive that we are waiting for a response AFTER the OS release came out. It has been available for testing for months now. The least they could have done was provide a clear support/update policy.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Wrong. Developers did not have access to the GM release ahead of time.

3. tji

tji Bit poster

Yes, of course they didn't have the final version months ago.. it is constantly changing and didn't exist in this form back then. But, interrim versions have been available, for exactly this sort of testing, for months.

Also, there was nothing stopping them from providing a stated support policy on whether they will be providing updates for 3214.

4. JasonN

JasonN Bit poster

Same Here

Howdy,

I'm having exactly the same problems. I'm running Leopard with the 3214 build and windows XP.

The issue is around resumption of a suspended VM. CPU goes spinning off into la la land and never ever returns. If you force stop the VM and start it again, XP enters into disk check land trying to recover lost files (bad bad...)

I think I've just lost some work now...

I think the work around is to shut down the VM properly from within windows...

Does 3.0 suffer the same problems?

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

Have you excluded your VM from Time Machine?

David

6. kap

kap Bit poster

This problem has nothing to do with Time Machine; simplified, all TM does is copy files to a backup drive. There's no conceivable way for that to be the problem unless we're all playing around and restoring files willy nilly and messing with the .hdd and other files, and I'm sure we aren't. I know I'm not.

Even if the unsuspend problem feasibly could have anything to do with TM, I'm having the problem on two different machines, one which hasn't seen any TM action, and the other long before TM was first used.

As far as I can tell, everyone reporting the problem in this thread is using XP as their guest OS; it would be helpful if someone not using XP could report if they're having the same unsuspend problem with Leopard and 3214.

This problem IS real; the issue now is whether the Parallels folks have the resources (or really, if it's worth it to them) to fix it and not force us all to pay to upgrade to v3. I purposely haven't upgraded because I only use Parallels to use VPN and office productivity apps, and it would be a waste of money for me to upgrade. Hopefully I'm not let down, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. ggbrown

ggbrown Bit poster

I can confirm that I experience the same unresponsive vm when trying to resume from a suspended state also.

15" MBP - 2GB RAM
    Parallels Build 3214
    VM = Windows XP Pro SP2

Can Parallels make available the original installer so we can see if a reinstall fixes this?

Grant

8. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

From the Parallels blog:

9. awong

awong Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm running Leopard with the 3214 build with XP sp2 and Linux debian 4.0

After the Guest os Suspended.
    Both System fail to resume and the process keep running (CPU upto 81C)

I just bought my MACBOOK with Parallels software license 6 months ago, i don't money to upgrade. Please help !!

10. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

This is helpful (I think!) - thanks.

At least we now have some confirmation that it's not an XP/3214 issue per se; it affects resuming under 3214 in general.

I noticed that today there's a new beta out for Leopard, Parallels version 3 now. Hopefully, if that beta doesn't suffer from the resume hang we're all experiencing, SWSoft will be able to go back to build 3214 now and create us some kind of patch/update for v2.5. :)

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Please sorry for not paying attention to the thread for such a long time.

Parallels Team assure you that both 2.5 and 3.0 PD versions support Leopard, however there is a number of issues to be fixed. They could not be prevented in advance as there were some last-minute changes in Leopard's official release.

The 3.0 Beta with issues fixed is coming soon. There will be an update for 2.5 with issues fixed in 1 month or sooner.

Thank you very much for your reports. All the information you give is important and it's being investigated by our QA team and developers.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Thanks for the news. :)

13. mgkg3

mgkg3 Bit poster

Now that 3.0 update has been released, will the 2.5 (3214) still take a month? Boot Camp works just fine so I am willing to wait til your update but sooner would be nice :)

14. zcasper

zcasper Bit poster

Same issues with Windows Vista.

15. tji

tji Bit poster

One Month?!? Sure, I'l just stop working for the next month.. no problem.

Or, I could solve the problem in 15 minutes, by installing VMware Fusion. VMware has provided a much more professional process to manage the Leopard upgrade- with good communication and frequent updates. I guess I'll cut my losses now and make the switch.

16. dbinseattle

dbinseattle Bit poster

Same problem with 3.0 build 5160

I'm experiencing the same problem everybody else in this thread has been reporting, but in my case it's with build 5160. After quitting Parallels and relaunching it, my Windows XP never resumes. Activity Monitor reports 100+% CPU usage. I have to force quit Parallels, relaunch it, and then get an error message about needing to restart Windows.

I presume that the official announcement in this thread about a new beta that addresses this problem will also address the issue for this build. But how do I find out about the update (the beta release) when it's available?

17. sebfrey

sebfrey Bit poster

I have that problem, and I have one more: Parallels tends to unexpectedly quit fairly often. I just came into my office here and found that Parallels had quit, while idling in the background. Once before, it quit when I hit a "submit" button in Internet Explorer. It quit a couple of times before that, too.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

19. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Hi folks - just wondered if there was any update/news on the progress with the 2.5 patch? It's driving me absolutely nuts now, it's adds a real 'faff' factor to my use of virtual machines (I use a handful of them throughout the day for testing software). That'll teach me to upgrade the operating system without thoroughly checking it over myself - NEVER AGAIN!!!

The frustrating thing is that Fusions doesn't have the resume problem. It's just slower than Parallels on my Mac!

If the v2.5 solution is definitely still 3-4 weeks away, I'll probably try to convert the VMs I need over to Fusion for the time being, because having to start-up and shut-down the machines every time I want to switch is annoying (and as the performance when >1 is running is diabolical, leaving machines running in the background isn't an option). I will switch back to Parallels as soon as v2.5 patch is available though, as I want to support them and the product has been a dream up 'til now.

And it does seem to be faster than Fusion on the same hardware, running the same kind of VM!

By the way - I would seriously consider upgrading to the current version to be rid of this problem actually, but after looking at the forum, there are still issues with Leopard under the current v3 so I'm not sure I'd be any better off.

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

robsoft, despite possible issues, upgrading to PD 3.0 is advisable. Free update for 3.0 with better Leopard compatibility is coming soon.

Best regards,
    Xenos