macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

I installed Catalina into Parallels 15.1.4, joined the public beta and upgraded to Big Sur with no errors or problems at all.
    [​IMG]

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  2. AlexandreA3

AlexandreA3 Bit poster

@Nentecular, we're talking about Big Sur as Host OS (on the mac) not as guest OS (As VM in Parallels Desktop) ;)

3. Marc Hoffman

Marc Hoffman Member

I have been able to upgrade a macOS Mojave guest VM to Big Sur PB1, but after the install appears to complete, all I see is a blank, black screen.

The host machine is running:
    macOS 10.15.6
    Parallels Desktop 15.1.4

Attached Files:

4. JulsS

JulsS Member

This thread is for both host and guest issues.
    I can't get the Big Sur public beta to install as guest using desktop 15.1.4. I run into the disk space issue even though I've given the VM more than enough disk. I've tried upgrading from both Catalina and Mojave, with and without Parallels Tools installed.

juls

5. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

Actually I did have that, despite saying earlier that I had no problems. The Public beta upgrade told me I didn't have enough space when I really dud.

In the end, I created a new VM and customised the configuration to give it 128Gb space rather than the default 64Gb. When I did the Catalina install, before I actually installed the OS, I ran disk utility from the install menu, erased the 64Gb partition, created a 128Gb one and installed Catalina to that. Then the Big Sur upgrade worked successfully.

6. JulsS

JulsS Member

Thank you @Nentecular! That solved my problem. I created a new APFS volume that was 80GB and I had the BigSur Installer on a USB thumb drive.

7. JulsS

JulsS Member

@Nentecular were you able to get Parallels Tools installed? I crash during startup if I install Tools.

8. Blackforge

Blackforge Bit poster

You can install the Parallels Tools partially. Just don't allow the System Extension in "Security & Privacy" and it won't hang on the reboot. Networking works and a few other things.

9. RadoslawS

RadoslawS Bit poster

After updating to macOS Big Sur version 11.0 Beta (20A5343j), Parallels Desktop cannot be launched or installed. No previous methods work. Every time I get this message as in the picture: "the program cannot be run because some required components are missing from the system" :-(

Can You help me in this case?

Attached Files:

10. JulsS

JulsS Member

11. vbr1

vbr1 Bit poster

Parallels won't work after upgrade to macOS Big Sur v11.0 Beta (20A5343j). I was able to initially logon; most of the apps worked. But rebooting the VM crashed Parallels. I went ahead and uninstalled and installed new copy of Parallels v15.1.4 and was able to get the OS working. Again after reboot, Parallels is crashing while OS (Win 10 Ultimate) is booting up. Now I cannot get Parallels to work at ALL. No matter what. Any ideaS?

12. vbr1

vbr1 Bit poster

macOS is the Host and Win is the Guest is the step. I was able to get into Windows to work, including apps in Windows environment after upgrading to macOS Big Sur. However, re-installation of Parallel Tools screwed up the entire VM and it crashes the moment Win OS is up. I believe tinkering the drivers should help speed up the resolution.

13. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

Big Sur Beta as Host and Win as a guest (same as above). I am unable to install latest PD 15.1.4, there is a loop asking you again and again to reboot your Mac to complete the installation.

How to get rid of the loop ?

14. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

Is there a workaround for this yet??? Parallels is completely broken on macOS Big Sur Public Beta 1 Build 20A5343j. The application will not even start.
    I have tried the workaround on the support page but as above, it just keeps asking me to reboot. We need a hotfix ASAP!!!
    I have asked to get onto the technical preview for v16. Does anyone know if this has the same problem?

15. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

unfortunately the workarround on page 1 doesn't help here.
    If you reboot the Mac, then you see some windows opening on the restarted desktop with errors pointing to the same issue (mac os 11 instead of 10.6 IMHO)
    Cause this step is unsecuccesfull completing, the installation process is looping.
    The simple fix might be to modify the version check. Wondering why Parallels is ignoring us. :-(

16. vbr1

vbr1 Bit poster

Setup:
    <Host> macOS Big Sur Public Beta 1 Build 20A5343j
    <Guest> Win 10 Ult
    <Scenario-1> After macOS Big Sur upgrade, VM won't start. Used commands: export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1; open -a 'Parallels Desktop'. VM was up and Win OS started working. Shutdown.
    Restarted VM with the same procedure. VM was up and Win OS started working. Re-installed Parallel Tools. System Crashed and could not make it work.
    <Scenario-2> Installed Parallels v15.1.4. Tried all the prescribed workaround steps. But none of them worked.
    <Workaround - Success> Went into Time Machine and replaced the Parallels v15.1.4 with the last working copy before upgrading to Big Sur. Used commands: export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1; open -a 'Parallels Desktop'. SUCCESS. VM is up and OS working and peaceful shutdown. Restarted the VM and OS. SUCCESS. Was able to work.
    *Note* Do NOT try to change the Config setting of Parallels, which will crash the VM and OS becomes unresponsive.
    Wish you all the best.

17. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

VMware Fusion Tech Preview runs on macOS Big Sur and also supports Windows Insider Build 20185. I have it up and running now.

18. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

Although to be fair, after using it for a bit, it's running like dog poo. Not sure if that's a VMware or macOS Big Sur thing though.
    Back to Bootcamp it is then. Thank god for Bootcamp.

19. Hi, this issue is under investigation. Once we get any updates from the Parallels Engineering Team we will let you know.

20. Hello guys,
    We're happy to inform you that Parallels Desktop 16 is finally here.
    Please install, test and check.

Share with us your results please and check this thread for more information.