Parallels in Catalina: I can't write to a Mac folder.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by 한근영, Jan 20, 2020.

1. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

I don't write desktop, download, documents, picture
    popup display "You need permission to modify this action."

but i can write music folder, movies folder
    Does anybody have the same problem? Does anybody know how to solve it?

Attached Files:

2. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

i installed parallels desktop v.15 in mac catalina
    i completed shared setting in parallels

3. Hi. On Mac menu bar click on Apple logo > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > unlock settings > on the left side scroll down and select Full Disk Access menu > on the right side put checkmark for Parallels Desktop. Then restart the virtual machine and check if it works as expected.

4. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

I set it as you said, but still can't.

5. Hi, please right click on this folder, choose "properties" and make a screenshot of this window and share it with us please.
    Thanks in advance.

6. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

this is a downloads folder's screenshot

7. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

this is a movie folder's screenshot. This folder is writable.

Attached Files:

8. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

i can't write desktop, downloads, documents, pictures folder. only read
    but i can read and write movies, music folder.

9. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

This is the shared settings I checked in the terminal.

Attached Files:

10. violar1

violar1 Bit poster

Everything works great!

11. 한근영

한근영 Bit poster

Yes, I did that. But still no.
    New OS and parallels 15 works fine at first.
    At some point during use, the desktop, downloads, documents, and pictures folders of the user folder are read but not written. The same is true if I delete parallels 15 and install it again.After all, with a fresh OS and parallels 15, it works fine at first.
    OS laid catalina.

12. Bob15

Bob15 Bit poster

Parallels Team:
    I have the exact same problem as above. What was the resolution to this problem?

13. Hi, please provide us with the detailed issue description. Technical report data and screenshots will be very helpful.

14. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

I have the same problem. Win7 in Parallels will not "save" to a Mac iCloud folder. It does, but it's been intermittent, and now, I've double checked my settings, as DESCRIBED ABOVE, and it's working now. I changed NOTHING, only checked that the "checkmarks" for Parallels Desktop were there, they were. (I had already done this ages ago), Not sure why it works now. Maybe just opening up that dialogue did something?

15. Hi, what is your Parallels Desktop and macOS version?

16. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

Hi, Parallels 14, 14.1.3 Mac Catalina 10.15.6.
    Saving is working perfectly now.

17. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

I spoke too soon, the problem has arisen again.
    The files I'm working with will now not save in the Mac Directory.. they will save fine in any windows directory.
    Sigh

18. Hello, please sorry for the delay in response. Did you try the same with the latest Parallels Desktop 16 version?

19. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

I'm happy with Parallels 14. Are you giving me a free upgrade to 16 version?
    This is an intermittent problem and won't go away if I pay more money to upgrade.
    I've temporarily fixed the issue by going to directory "Info", and changing all the permissions to "read and write" and adding "administrator" permission and making that "read and write"

20. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

SOLVED! I did: On Mac menu bar click on Apple logo > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > unlock settings > on the left side scroll down and select Full Disk Access menu > on the right side put checkmark for THE PROGRAM I'M USING IN WIN7. Clicking on Parallels Desktop is good, but going for the actual program you're having trouble with solved my issue.