Windows cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by 4everJang, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Hello, do you have the latest Parallels Desktop version?

2. AndrewW19

AndrewW19 Bit poster

I have:
    Version 16.0.1 (48919)

3. AndrewW19

AndrewW19 Bit poster

Hold on, it is working for me now. I installed 10.15.7 last night and now it works. So, I think that it doesn't matter which update it is, but simply installing an update will fix this issue. iirc, each macOS update triggers some sort of routine that there used to be a manual way to do, but it was removed in modern macOS versions. Sorry, I don't recall what it is, something similar to a permissions fix, I think...

4. Lucasv2

Lucasv2 Bit poster

For me, it doesn't even install/create a network for my windows 10 vm. How do I fix this?

Attached Files:

5. Thank you for your reply.
    Did you get the "Network Initialization failed" error message?

6. Hello,
    did you try the following workaround:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine and quit Parallels Desktop.
    2. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal), copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
      sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist && sudo killall -9 configd
    3. Then prompted, enter your Mac's password and press Enter (Terminal doesn't show the password as you type).
    4. Restart the Mac.

7. Hello guys, we would like to inform you that Parallels Desktop update 16.1.0 has been release recently.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build and check the issue.
    Please share any results with us.

8. AlPG

AlPG Bit poster

It does not work for me. Parallels version 16.1.0, wifi connection not working since I installed this version with Ubuntu 18.04 VM. Tried both Shared network and Default adapter.

9. MichaelJ27

MichaelJ27 Bit poster

If it helps I have found a temporary solution. Within windows you will need to disable the network adapter and then re-enable it. Doing this seems to resolve the issue 'for a while'. Personally, I am looking for an alternative to Parallels. This issue is such a headache

10. EugeneS4

EugeneS4 Bit poster

I have also just installed 15 on a new Macbook Pro with a new Windows 10 product key new install and have no internet, but I do have internet access for the first 30 seconds or so on Windows 10 after activation. If I don't activate my copy of Windows 10, it seems I have no trouble with the internet. More perplexing still, after spending over an hour with tech support.
    Regards, Eugene

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2020
  11. TedB3

TedB3 Bit poster

I have the same problem that everyone else is having. Extremely frustrating. This has been going on since March. I use parallels to log into my office network (medical EHR) so I can work from home. Completely frustrating, especially since I purchased the subscription. I have been using parallels for at least five years. It is now completely unusable. I spent quite a bit of time with service including letting them log into my computer. Can I get a refund (plus payment for the many hours of lost productivity)?

12. JanU

JanU Bit poster

i have too same problem.. "Network Initialization failed" error message, can any say me how to fix it? Rly i want need inetrnet on windows.

13. adsaf

adsaf Bit poster

Hi,
    I've the same problem, connection works on mac but not on windows.
    Macbook air 2020, Big sur, parallels 16.1 windows 10.1.
    tried every tipe of connection possible but nothig, windows is offline.
    ethernet unplugged but i don't know how to plug-in (no ethernet port) wi-fi doesn't work.
    help me please

JanU likes this.
  14. TedB3

TedB3 Bit poster

I have solved the problem on my virtual machine. Maybe it will work for you too.
    My virtual machine is a descendant of a clone of an old Dell PC. The clone has been updated many times and has been on Windows 10 since January 2020 (and now Big Sur on the Mac). I use it to run an electronic health record that requires Windows on a VPN (Sophos). It began being very unstable in March after an update. Even the browser would go off line and then it would automatically run some self-diagnostic protocol and reset the Network Adapter. It would then work for a few minutes and then stop again (during which time the EHR would also function). I let the parallels engineers log on to my macbook and they tried to fix it several times. We switched the adapter to WiFi which seemed to make things better briefly--wishful thinking--still a disaster.
    Finally, last week, I took things into my own hands. Reasoning that there could be something leftover from the clone's previous lives, I went about the task of uninstalling old programs (and programs from startup).
    IT WORKED!!! My virtual pc is now completely stable on the internet.
    I wasn't very organized about what I uninstalled so I am not sure which was the offending program but I do remember uninstalling programs from Cisco and Citrix.
    Lesson: Uninstall old unnecessary programs, that worked for me!
    (I wish the Parallels engineers had thought of that.)

15. InOrbeTerrumNonVisi

InOrbeTerrumNonVisi Bit poster

Go to tools at the top
    Choose network
    Choose the type of connection ie wifi
    Whatever connection that is established on the Mac should work in windows now
    Hopefully this helped you

16. JanU

JanU Bit poster

I found a solution for anyone who has a problem with their Internet connection in Windows, try this.. :) I hope to make your day better

Attached Files:

CraigD2 and JuanA7 like this.
  17. IfyE

IfyE Bit poster

FIXED/PROBLEM SOLVED ✅
    For those of you having problems with either Mac not connecting to WiFi or virtual machine not connecting to WiFi or both not connecting to WiFi, please watch this YouTube video and follow every step. It fixed my issues of parallels and my mac not connecting to the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  18. Magnus2

Magnus2 Bit poster

The Internet connection on my Windows 10 VM, running on Parallels 15, has been working fine for years. Today it stopped working, just out of the blue. The Internet on the Mac side was still working normally, and I hadn't changed or updated anything since I last used the VM a few days ago.
    After changing from "Shared Network" to "Bridged Network / Default Adapter", it started working again.
    Any ideas why this suddenly happened, when it's been working fine on "Shared Network" for years?

19. Magnus2

Magnus2 Bit poster

Now, one week later, the internet on the Windows side suddenly stopped working again. Just "for fun" I tried switching back to "Shared Network" instead of "Bridged". Now it started working again. So, opposite to one week ago, with no external changes whatsoever...

20. MichaelP18

MichaelP18 Bit poster

Didn't work for me - running Windows XP, all working fine last week, on the latest PD 16, suddenly lost connection so cannot update files, etc. Very annoying and no real answers coming from Parallels Desktop themselves.