Leopard issues with Parallels 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkwuc89, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Infinite

Infinite Bit poster

Good luck so far.

I have had two issues but both Magically cleared up.

I installed an upgrade version of Leopard and I had the most recent version of Parralels running... 5160 I think. On first run my Mac did it's Black screen of death. Not pretty.

Second run, all was well. Actually, Spaces is awesome with Fullscreen mode. I am amazed it doesn't blow up switching. I have a desktop dedicated to XP and the rest is all OSX. Pretty awesome. After I was done screwing around I noticed that XP didn't have a network connection so I re-ran the Install Parralels drivers, and XP rebooted.

Third Run, all seems well now with my network.

2. graham.ernst

graham.ernst Bit poster

Installer failing

try moving the file onto the hard disk.... not sure if it was related but i was able to install it after the move and have not been able to install any version previously

ge

3. wmumpower

wmumpower Bit poster

I upgraded to OS X 10.5 using archive and install option. I am running Parallels 3 build 5160 on a 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo w 2GB RAM and have 800MB of RAM dedicated to running Parallels and have a 30GB VM drive size.

While Parallels seems to work with most applications, I find that Windows XP Pro running under Parallels 3 build 5160 is now unacceptably slow. Everything feels as though you have to click and wait. I can click on IE7 and it will be a few seconds before IE starts up. I use Lotus Notes 6.5.4 and it takes a minute or more for Notes to come up. When Notes replicates mail to the server everything comes to a halt until it finishes. Clicking on new mail message takes 10-15 seconds to open the message and return control to the keyboard. Opening Excel used to be fairly quick, but now may take 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I, too, experienced the Mac drives not mounting. I turned off the auto-mount of windows drives on my Mac. I did keep Parallels shared folders active on my WinXP VM.

I look forward to the next build and hope that it can be optimized to run the VM at acceptable speeds.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

wmumpower, for Windows running slow try changing the VM’s RAM. Select Memory in the Parallels Configuration Editor and decrease or increase the VM’s memory size.

Enabling virtual memory preallocation can also help:
    a. Select Preferences from the Parallels Desktop menu.
    b. Click the Memory tab.
    c. Select Enable virtual memory preallocation.

And please look at the list of the known issues and workarounds at our forum.

We are working hard to fix all the issues in the new build.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. ChrisBasken

ChrisBasken Bit poster

I'm having this issue as well. I've even rebuilt my Boot Camp partition. The Parallels installer (5160) just hangs on "Running Parallels Desktop Installer script."

Any thoughts on what's causing the hangup?

EDIT: I found the problem. I had Internet Sharing turned on in my Sharing System Prefs (using my iMac as a connection for my laptop). As soon as I turned that off, the install went through.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  6. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

New issue-- Printing using Bonjour no longer works

Update 3: I can no longer print from my Vista client OS using Bonjour printers.

All printers in client OS were gone after Leopard upgrade, so I had to reinstall. Printing appears to proceed normally from the the client OS but nothing ever makes it to the printers.

Is there an update for Bonjour for Windows I need to get?

7. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

My bad-- apparently Leopard disabled printer sharing, so Bonjour for Windows couldn't get to them. Still strange that the client OS never gave any errors when attempting to print, though..... Oh, well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  8. wmumpower

wmumpower Bit poster

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried increasing and decreasing the memory as well as enabling virtual memory preallocation. It helps, but only slightly. I tried reinstalling Parallels tools.

I reviewed the Known issues and workarounds. I installed the latest release of MacFUSE. Still cannot get the Mac to mount VM Windows disks.

Performance is still lackluster. Too slow for me to be productive. For example, when clicking the File Print command in Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard, the Adobe window shows (Not Responding) before the printer dialog box pops up.

When I try to connect to Windows drives from Mac via Finder, I only get "Connection Failed". I cannot see the drives.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello wmumpower,

Please select check box at "Connected servers" in Finder Preferences .
    Waiting for the feedback.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. dianne gonzalez

dianne gonzalez Bit poster

Windows XP on Parallels buggy after Leopard upgrade

So, I am running the version recommended by the parallels team for Leopard, but have these following issues:

1- The timeout people are experiencing when mounting the windows disk. I also continue on after closing the message, but there are other problems.

2- Windows will unexpectedly crash. I suspect it has to do with the following message in the console:11/1/07 11:40:29 PM [0x0-0x35035].com.parallels.desktop[721] The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec(). 11/1/07 11:40:29 PM [0x0-0x35035].com.parallels.desktop[721] Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.

The above error is repeating on both machines I have upgraded, both also using the parallels update and both running XP.

3- The shortcut to windows apps that I had on the dock no longer work. It used to be that I could click on, let's say, Outlook, and it would launch parallels and outlook very quickly. No, the icon bounces once and nothing happens.

4- In general, my parallels is much slower initializing after the upgrade, as is booting the guest OS.

5- I am also experiencing the networking issue when sleeping the OS, it looks like parallels will not renew its IP.

Thanks in advanced to the parallels team for upcoming updates these issues!

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

12. Garth

Garth Bit poster

Apologies for the previous empty Quick Reply.

I also get the message "Timed out waiting for the file system to initialize. The volume has been ejected. You can use the int_timeout mount option to wait longer" .

XP (SP1) then starts up OK - Although Windows states that I have just recovered from a serious error.
    Unfortunately I cannot access Windows Update so cannot update to SP2. The error message is 0X80072EE7 (Although I still have internet access in XP)

I uninstalled Parallels, trashed XP and started from scratch. BOTH problems still exist.

13. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

Leopard and 5160

I installed leopard and it crashed with build 3214. I purchased 5160 and installed it. After some initial setup issues, it installed and all appeared fine. MB Prog 3 gb ram bootcamp install with xp sp2.

One day later 5160 hung causing me to force quit parallels. On retrying paralels, it could not locate the bootcamp windows installation. Went to bootcamp and got the missing hal.dll file. Went back to parallels and no joy.

Since then I have tried
    1)recovering the registry using the c:\windows\repair copies of system, security, sam, default and software - no joy.
    2) Tried using the recovery console to run bootcfg /rebuild - no joy cannot see a windows to recover.
    3) Tried restoring hal.dll which is still there but with 0 byte length - no joy cannot write it or expand back to it.
    4) Tried renaming system32 to recreate the directory incase it was corrupted and copy all files but can't get xcopy to run in reocvery console - not a valid command.

5) tried ntfs-3g and ntfsmount to write to the windows from mac to recover hal.dll - no joy will not mount.
    6) tried xp repair install - no joy it doesn't see a windows installation at all.
    7) chkdsk - finds unrecoverable errors on c:

Any help from parallels team appreciated. I think it would be very useful to explain what files are being changed on the bootcamp partition and how we can at least recover the bootcamp xp to a usable state if for nothing else other tan recovery.

When i've finished with this post i will check the boot.ini file but I do not believe that i can edit it in recovery console - so.

Failing this, I was able to chronosync my data from the mac which can still mount the windows partition read only. I will then have to do a complete windows reinstall and reload all programs. Needless to say if i have to do all that, i won't be risking parallels agains until i can get some definitive answers.

Ideas please ?

14. brkirch

brkirch Pro

When I was using a Boot Camp partition with build 5160 in Leopard I also had Parallels hang and had to force quit it. Then when I tried to boot with Parallels again I got an error. So I restarted onto the Boot Camp partition and got the missing hal.dll error. To fix that error all I had to do was reboot and select the Windows XP configuration from the screen that shows briefly before Windows tries to boot. Then Windows booted, I ran "chkdsk /F" from the command line, rebooted and selected the Windows XP configuration, and then chkdsk ran and did repairs on the disk. Then I rebooted back into Mac OS X and ran Windows from the Boot Camp partition in Parallels. After Windows successfully shutdown in Parallels the hal.dll error was fixed.

I wouldn't recommend using build 5160 with Leopard though, build 5540 from my experience is much more stable even though it is beta because of the improved Leopard support. If it is necessary to stay with build 5160 for some reason, at least upgrade MacFUSE (the failure of the older version of MacFUSE is responsible for a number of issues that Parallels has in Leopard).

15. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

Leopard and 5540

thanks for the input. i uninstalled 5160 and installed 5540. It crashed leopard unfortunately and i hav not been able to interrupt to point to the xp install. FYI my boot ini only points to one windows partition for boot.

16. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard and 5540

i also updated to the latest macfuse (for leopard) before hand in a vain attempt to get ntfsmount or ntfs-3g working.

17. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard 5540

windows could not start because of a a computer disk hardware problem.
    could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. (there is only one selection possible)
    please check the windows documentation blah blah blah......

18. hlavender

hlavender Bit poster

Thanks ChrisBasken--I struggled with the installer script hang for a couple of hours and your edit about internet sharing solved it. I never would have tried that fix. Thanks.

H

19. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard and 5540

Using the recovery console from windows vista ultimate (not installed), i was able to use xcopy to first of all expand and replace:

hal.dll
    ntoskrnl.exe

both were replaced in windows/system32.

I also xcopy -h -s -c system32 to another directory. renamed the old system32 and then replaced the original with my xcopy. This eliminates any bad files or sectors from system32 which is where parallels seems to do some of it's work.

Now bootcamp can start xp and it boots to the login screen, however there is no keyboard or mouse support. I tried parallels thru leopard, but it wasn't able to boot -same error as before.

i am now able to do a xp repair install as it now sees the windows installation after recovering these two files. I will see how this progresses and report back to see if i ave recovered at least bootcamp.

20. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Here's what mine looks like while Parallels is running:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll
    and while Parallels is not running:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I would guess that to fix a Boot Camp partition with the missing hal.dll error you need to change the boot.ini file to what it should be when Parallels is running, then start up the Boot Camp partition through Parallels and shutdown.