Complete uninstallation of Parallels Desktop 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveS1, Feb 13, 2015.

1. JohnM91

JohnM91 Bit poster

unfortunately you won't get that info here...

2. PeterZ5

PeterZ5 Bit poster

As I wrote, I LOST the pvm file (hence the VM), so there's nothing to move to bin. I was looking for a solution to completely uninstall but I found it myself. Using DiskDrill did the trick. But I have to say this is ridiculous. You should provide uninstallation tools that actually work.

3. KathleenK1

KathleenK1 Bit poster

PeterZ5, can you explain how you did this? I'd really like to get all of Parallels and Windows 10 off from an installation TWO YEARS AGO. Thank you in advance.

4. JoseM45

JoseM45 Bit poster

Hello Maria or someone from parallels, I have also issues when trying to uninstall completely parallels. For example, all my word docs are still trying to use parallels when parallels application was deleted long time ago... can you help me?

5. Hello, did you use only Windows VM for opening your files?
    When you click "open with" are you able to choose any Mac applications?

6. JoseM45

JoseM45 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply Maria. I was using a Windows VM to open files but I have removed Parallels from my MAC few weeks ago.
    When doing open with i can see that the MAC's excel is the default but on finder and it works.
    upload_2020-10-27_10-35-7.png
    But, as you can see, in finder, Parallels remains as default application for my word and excel files so when I'm doing double click on these files It does not work since Parallels is uninstalled:
    upload_2020-10-27_10-34-37.png
    Somehow, my finder is not properly refreshed and is still pointing to Parallels.

7. Did you remove Windows VM? Please check the Parallels folder in your Finder -> Documents (for example) or enter Parallels at the Spotlight

8. JoseM45

JoseM45 Bit poster

It is true that the VM remains there:
    upload_2020-10-28_9-14-24.png
    But parallels has been uninstalled:
    upload_2020-10-28_9-16-38.png
    The point is that now the license has expired and I can't open Parallels anymore to remove the VM.

9. JoseM45

JoseM45 Bit poster

I just found a workaround by removing the applications from the following folder:
    upload_2020-10-28_10-15-2.png

10. You can just right click on it and choose "move to trash"

11. Avni

Avni Bit poster

Hi Similar issue my testing period has expired months ago, I just uninstalled and can't get windows 10 applications folder to go away, please help.

12. Hello, did you remove your Windows virtual machine .pvm file?

13. Avni

Avni Bit poster

I used the uninstall KB page and did what it said to do.

14. Could you please try to find .pvm file via the Spotlight? and share with us a screenshot of your results?

15. FrancoV1

FrancoV1 Bit poster

The uninstaller script doesn't work for me either, with error message
    The action "Run AppleScript" encountered an error: "Terminal got an error: /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/_n/kpcxdhd504sdld4cj3m9m9dc0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/F087985C-4188-470E-A311-482D39407578/d/PDremove.app/Contents/PDUninstaller.sh: No such file or directory"
    I would like to remove every trace of Parallest to try reinstall version 16 on Mojave after I can't use it any more doe to error
    Unable to start Parallels services.
    which has its dedicated thread in the forum
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...causes-it-to-stop-working.351400/#post-876155

16. FrancoV1

FrancoV1 Bit poster

Looking inside the PDUninstaller.sh script inside the package of the Parallels Desktop Uninstaller, I guess it has not been updated since 2014, and it tries to remove things not found in my Parallels 16 installation on my 10.14.6 system, so I don't expect it to work. Really we would need a working Uninstaller for all the stuff placed around at installation time...

17. Avni

Avni Bit poster

This is what I get:

Attached Files:

18. So, you found the .pvm file, right?

19. Avni

Avni Bit poster

no that is shown in the screen shot.

20. Screenshot shows that there is no app to open Windows.pvm file.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong