Microphone not working on Windows 10/Parallels 15

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KathleenM1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KathleenM1

KathleenM1 Bit poster

I've spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get my microphone to work on the windows side. I do get audio through the headsets, but no input goes to the microphone when operating from windows. Several different microphone inputs work fine on the Mac side (running Catalina). I've checked privacy settings on both MAC and Windows and both are showing as being fine. I looked at the drivers on the Windows side under Device Manager and it shows as High Definition Audio Device. Any suggestions? I've worked through most the troubleshooting guides - many of which do not look like they are for Parallels 15 - but have not had any success. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. JohannesG

JohannesG Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem, can not use the Mac microphone from the Windows 10 installation, as well as the webcam of the Mac. the MAC speaker is working properly.
    If I use a USB headset and assign the USB port directly to Windows, then this microphone also works.

The MAC microphone is displayed as ready for use in the device manager under Windows. The security settings in the MAC OS also allow microphones and webcams for parallels. Use is also permitted in Windows.

3. RobertS58

RobertS58 Bit poster

Same issue here. The microphone actually works intermittently, but can find no reason why. Works fine in MacOS

4. TedG3

TedG3 Bit poster

I had to "allow access to the microphone and camera on this device" within Windows. I found it in Settings -> Privacy. Then along the left hand side you can select camera and microphone and change the settings.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. RandyH4

RandyH4 Bit poster

Thanks, but neither solution worked. In my device manager I do not have "Parallels audio controller" as my microphone, just a "high definition audio device", does that matter?

6. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue?

7. RandyH4

RandyH4 Bit poster

I struggled with this for DAYS! The only option was to swipe my MacBook clean, reinstall the OS, and then Parallels from its backup file. Yes it's drastic but the remote assistance Parallels provided was AWESOME! They walk you through each step and make you feel comfortable with this big move. Since doing that I've had no issues. Lesson learned, backup, backup, backup! It will save you a lot of grief.

8. David Esp

David Esp Member

Solved my own "microphone not working" issue - as explained in this thread.

Maria@Parallels likes this.