Complete uninstallation of Parallels Desktop 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveS1, Feb 13, 2015.

1. PenH

PenH Junior Member

The same dock icon problem occurred with another app, and the author suggested:
    macOS will eventually remove services from apps that are no longer installed. You may be able to do it quicker by entering this Terminal command:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs -flush
    ... which worked after reboot.

2. MatthewB27

MatthewB27 Bit poster

I feel like Parallels has completely f'd up my Mac. I started to run the trial and installed. 2/3 of the way through it told me my storage was nearly full so I cancelled the install so I could potentially download it to an external ssd rather than clog my storage. My Mac rebooted itself as it seemed to struggle without the storage and then I was prompted with tons of notifications telling me to remove files etc to free up space. I contacted support and after 4 days then replied telling me I needed to download something like CleanMyMac. That comes with a fee to clean up more than 500mb so I refuse to use that.

How on earth do I just free up all the gb it's taken from my Mac?

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

4. MatthewB27

MatthewB27 Bit poster

Moved to trash then! Any suggestions what I can use to get rid of whatever it is that's been downloaded?

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I use AppCleaner when I want to get rid of something. It's not 100%, but it does lead me to the right places.

6. Avni

Avni Bit poster

I still don't have this fully deleted. It usually is an issue with spotlight when I try to open the calculator or things like that. Is there an EASY way to get this uninstalled? Very difficult for those of us with the trial that no longer have it on our machines.

7. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, kindly explain the issue you are facing with Parallels Desktop to assist you further.

8. Avni

Avni Bit poster

I had a trial and now when I click... command + space bar and search in spotlight for "calculator" I still see the Windows 10 version populate and a message that says "Parallels Desktop was not found..." etc. This is not the only application still appearing, or the only issue I have.

9. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Do you have a Time Machine backup disk? If so, Spotlight has the dubious distinction of including every old version of everything it finds on your backup, whether it's actually still installed on the boot disk or not.

10. Avni

Avni Bit poster

I do but it's on a back up drive anyway, so unsure why it would show up locally?

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

It isn't showing locally. Spotlight reports everything system-wide, especially anything still in the backup. Try right clicking on anything in Finder and looking in "Open with..." it will show multiple versions of apps: The currently installed one, as well as older ones found on the backup disk, even though they can't be run.

Even more irritating is that Time Machine *requires* the backup disk to be scanned by Spotlight, which is why the first backup of the day can take hours to complete. The Spotlight MDS processes dominate disk I/O, slowing it down considerably. You used to be able to exempt the backup disk from Spotlight, but sadly that's no longer the case... Thanks, Apple.

12. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I should also add that you may think that what the backup is seeing is the VM itself (~/Library/Parallels/*.pvm), but that's not the case. I have those files omitted from Time Machine because they're way too big. What it's seeing are the backups of the Application Menus folder, which at one time may have contained a folder named "Windows 10 Applications". It's the backup of the Parallels Link files in that backed up folder that's being seen in by Spotlight.

13. IbrahimN

IbrahimN Bit poster

Hello everyone, Please I need help. my Parallel license has expired and I don't intend to renew it. After uninstalling it, i could not open the documents that were saved in the parallel window. Please how do i access my document in?
    When I tried to open the file it said: Parallels Desktop was not found: Adobe Reader Touch requires Parallels Desktop to operate. Please install Parallels Desktop and try again.

14. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

If, when you uninstalled Parallels, you also deleted the virtual machine (VM) file that the documents were in you may be out of luck. Unless, of course, you can somehow recover the VM from a backup. If the VM file is not gone, you will need to reinstall Parallels in order to access it and your documents that are in it. There is no other way to access the VM file other than within the Parallels application.