Install Cisco Anyconnect ARM64 version on Windows ARM VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Sikeer, Mar 27, 2021.

1. RobertBQ

RobertBQ Bit poster

Hi KevinB21 and Micke, do you mind sharing how you created the MSI? I tried using Orca to change it, but it keeps failing.

2. Micke.

Micke. Bit poster

What I did, opened the MSI-file
    did a replace of NOT VersionNT64 with VersionNT64
    There are a search and replace function, you have the same function in Notepad and Excel.
    There are a lot of places to replace/remove the NOT, so I hade to click next/replace several times.
    And then save the file and run the install.
    (I don't have Orca in front of me at the moment so maybe the menu name are different)

I think Kevin did a transformation file MST, its a more correct way to do it as you have the MSI file untouched and it easier to add and remove things in the future in the MST-file if needed.

RobertBQ likes this.
  3. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

Yeah, I opened the file in Orca and then went to the Transform menu and chose "New Transform". This then captures any changes in a separate file rather than altering the original. Then I did the search and replace as Micke said. You can just chose "Replace All" if you don't want to watch where all the changes happen. It will put a small highlight on the tables where it makes a change if you want to review. Then from the Transform menu, select "Close Transform" and it will ask you to save the file. You can give it any name. I called it anyconnect-win-arm64-4.10.00093-core-vpn-predeploy-k9-fix.mst. Save it in the same folder as the original MSI and then open an administrative command prompt and change to the same directory as the MSI and MST. Then install with:

msiexec /I anyconnect-win-arm64-4.10.00093-core-vpn-predeploy-k9.msi TRANSFORMS=anyconnect-win-arm64-4.10.00093-core-vpn-predeploy-k9-fix.mst

Or just edit the MSI directly and don't worry about all that. I used to repackage software for enterprise deployment in a former life so I'm used to using transforms but it's really not necessary for this.

RobertBQ likes this.
  4. RobertBQ

RobertBQ Bit poster

Thank you Micke and KevinB21!! I was doing it wrong :)

5. PraveenN1

PraveenN1 Bit poster

Hello,
    I ran into same situation. Have Mac M1 and have parallels. I have managed to install, but when I tried to connect, I was getting an error as what ThorstanM3 got.

6. PraveenN1

PraveenN1 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm in the same situation as you were before. Can you please suggest how did you resolve?

7. Sikeer

Sikeer Bit poster

my windows version is: 21376. and Anyconnect version is :arm64-4.9.06037. so I need downgrade windows to 21286 to install anyconect? right?

8. Sikeer

Sikeer Bit poster

how to get the 21286 of windows, the official version is not 21286 now.

9. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

10. kazikaji

kazikaji Bit poster

I am suffering from the same symptoms.
    I was able to install anyconnect, but I'm having problems with my network adapter and the connection is failing.
    I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that the network adapter is not installed when anyconnect is installed.
    Can anyone come up with a solution?

Attached Files:

11. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

If you are installing the intel version it will not work. You need the ARM installer.

12. kazikaji

kazikaji Bit poster

Taking your advice, I tried the installer for anyconnect-win-arm64-4.9.06037-core-vpn-predeploy-k9, but I get the error shown in the image.
    I am using parallels on an M1 Mac.

Attached Files:

13. kazikaji

kazikaji Bit poster

I was able to get this issue resolved.
    I was using "Build 21354", but I reinstalled "Build 21286", then installed the ARM version of Anyconnect, and the connection worked.

14. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

Right. So now you will need to scroll up and read the rest of the thread. The x86 version installs but does not work because this is not x86 Windows. The ARM version doesn't install on current insider builds because a environment value has changed, probably because Microsoft added emulation for x86-64 binaries. But the arm version does work if you can get it installed. Either you can install on a very old build and then upgrade or use an MSI editor, such as Orca, to modify the installer to work around the issue.

kazikaji likes this.
  15. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

I haven't tried it on a fully clean install, but it looks to me like the new release 4.10.01075 installs fine on the latest Insider build.

16. ThorstenM4

ThorstenM4 Bit poster

Hi,
    as I described the CISCO was now running for me very well until today. Can login to the company and get then the message "The VPN client driver encountered an error. Please restart your computer or device, then try again." and "AnyConnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again.". Has somebody the same experience. Have seen that I got a Windows ARM upgrade today. My current client from Cisco is 4.9.06037, Windows is on build 21390.co-release.210521-1658.

17. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

I'm on AnyConnect version 4.10.010175 on Windows build 21390.1000 and it is still working as expected for me.

18. BrendanO

BrendanO Bit poster

As an alternative approach, I use AnyConnect in MacOS to get on to the VPN, which passes through to Parallels if I choose the 'shared network'. Solid, reliable and consistent. No networking to install in windows as it's already done. It's AnyConnect for Mac 4.10.00093 (released 20/5/21) and I'm on M1 with Parallels Pro and Win 21390.

19. Markus12

Markus12 Bit poster

I am facing the same issues as everybody else plus I do not have the ARM version of Anyconnect. I like your solution of only using the AnyConnect Client in MacOS, but it is not passing through the VPN connection to Parallels. What are your settings to get it passing through the VPN connection?

20. AltitudeDashboard

AltitudeDashboard Junior Member

Is there any AnyConnect version working in Windows 10 arm on Parallels as of August 28 2021? I need to connect to company's VPN and I don't want to install AnyConnect on macOS.