Cannot log into Xbox app through Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Hunter4, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Hunter4

Hunter4 Bit poster

Hello,
    Just got Parallels, and while I was getting everything configured on my MacBook I went to the Xbox app to just see what I could do there. When it loaded and saw I needed to log in (somehow not logged in already even though using the same microsoft account signed into the computer), I went to the upper left hand corner to sign in, went to 'sign in' on the drop down menu, clicked sign in, drop down menu goes away and nothing loads/changes. Is there something I am missing? Thanks!

2. StevenT13

StevenT13 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Alright, so I might have found the issue here and it works with both the app from the store and the one from the xbox website.

So first of all, make sure that you have full access as an admin in Windows 11.

Also, on Mac OS, make sure that under :
    Settings > Privacy and Security > Files and Folders, Parallels have full access.
    Same thing under Settings > Privacy and Security > Full Disk Access.

Now, on Windows 11, close the Xbox App (make sure that it's closed even in the bar near the clock). Open Powershell as Admin and run this command :
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

What it'll do it's to delete the Gaming Services. Once that's done, reopen the Xbox App and it should run fine. Let me know if it didn't work.

JohnL8, IanR7, JayS12 and 1 other person like this.
  3. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I encountered a similar problem. I am signed in, but nothing loads in the library tab or ability to access cloud gaming without "premium." On Windows 11 22H2 (running on an M1 MBP), I did not have a problem initially with the Xbox app showing my "library" and such. There was an update in the Microsoft Store for the XBox app and I updated it at which time it also installed the Xbox Identifier app that is now necessary for some (all?) games. However, I am back to the same old problem I had once before on the 21H2 version where the XBox app will load but will not show my library (the menu tab is missing) as well as the "recently played" will show a flashing list like it is trying to load but can't. Also can't connect to my XBox for cloud gaming. I have done everything from the official MS fixes even though the ARM version of the Xbox app is supposed to be working and ready. I've done the app reset and restore for both that and the MS Store app, deleted cache, deleted and reinstalled the apps per the official MS instructions in this lengthy tutorial to no avail:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-library/6c460902-28a4-424b-9e4b-c0c10aed1d51

That didn't work for me even step-by-step. I am thoroughly convinced by the posts elsewhere that the XBox app for ARM on Windows 11 is basically a NO-GO for anything. The issues with this app have gone on for many months, especially with ARM processor versions. My Steam works fine, however.

4. Tweetatoo

Tweetatoo Bit poster

Did you get to solve the problem?
    Could some representative of Parallels comment on the issue?
    XBOX App does not want to login at all!

5. Ivan44

Ivan44 Bit poster

I am also experiencing this exact issue. Parallels please give us an update on how to resolve this issue!

6. EmmanuelN2

EmmanuelN2 Bit poster

Found the solution on another fourm:

-DO NOT USE THE XBOX APP IN THE MICROSOFT STORE.

-DO NOT OPEN THE MICROSOFT STORE.

- If you installed the Xbox App from the Microsoft Store, you must un-install it.

-Go directly to this page and download the Xbox for PC App: Xbox App for Windows PC | Xbox

-Run it, allow changes.

-NOW you sign in, allow it to "sign in everywhere on your device".

Here's why this works, and why this is NOT a Parallels issue: simply put the version of the Xbox app in the store is different than the standalone installer. It doesn't work, the installer does, as it installs the THREE "apps" needed for this to run: the Xbox app itself, Gaming Services, and most importantly the Xbox Identity Provider app. Installing the Xbox app from the store will not install the other two services required for this experience to work.

Anyone who has spent any time with Windows should understand that desktop apps and store apps are very different (EG OneNote). There's your tools and information boys, enjoy.

BrandonB10, RossD6 and AbimaelL1 like this.
  7. JosebaE

JosebaE Bit poster

I just downloaded parallels to test it and I have the same issue. I thought it was a problem related to the test version, but it appears that to doesn't work properly in the full version either.

8. Nate3

Nate3 Bit poster

I may have a simple solution for you. I was trying to hours to solve this problem. What I did was I uninstalled the xbox app and then DON'T download it from the Microsoft store. Instead, go to the xbox website, sign in, and then download the xbox app from the website. Go through the install process. It finally logged me in automatically.

LanceR1 and JosebaE like this.
  9. JosebaE

JosebaE Bit poster

Thx Nate, just tried it and works flawlessly.

10. JonS28

JonS28 Bit poster

WORKED FLAWLESSLY! I was having the same problem as everyone else. You are the man EmMANuelN2!
    For everyone's reference I'm running Parallels on a MacBook Pro with M2 chip with Windows 11 22H2 installed.

11. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Are you folks just getting logged in? I've not had an issue with that from the start. My issue is I can log in fine, but my "recently played" list never loads and just flashes. I can't see my games in the Xbox app. And this is even uninstalling, rebooting, installing from the Xbox website, etc. This is on 22h2 Windows 11 pro (release) on an MBP M1 with parallels desktop 18.1.1

12. TylerR8

TylerR8 Bit poster

I've tried these steps, but every time I got to install the Xbox installer it just says installation failed. I already signed into the Microsoft store before seeing this post. So I assume that is breaking it. Does anyone know how to fully reset parallels so I can start from the beginning again and not open the Microsoft store

13. SeanE2

SeanE2 Bit poster

This is the answer. Same situation for me. On a MacBook Pro M1 Apple Silicon running the ARM version of Windows. The Microsoft Store version of the XBox app would not sign into my Xbox account. I would just click Sign In and nothing would happen. Uninstalled that, download the app directly from Microsoft and used the installer. Worked straight away after that.

14. LanceR1

LanceR1 Bit poster

Nate3 you are the man!

15. JohannaL

JohannaL Bit poster

This approach worked for me, as well - thank you, Nate and EmmanuelN2

16. MarkL60

MarkL60 Bit poster

I am hoping that someone can help. I have installed Parallels on my Mac Mini M1 and installed Windows 11 (Build 22H2) and activated Windows. I have installed the Xbox App from the xbox website, not the Microsoft Store. When I launch the app, I get the black screen with the xBox logo, and no further - just hangs like that. I have gone through all the suggestions like removing and reinstalling Gaming Services, uninstalling the app and reinstalling, everything. This has been bugging me for 2 days now as the reason I bought Parallels was to install MS Flight Sim, and I just cannot get to it at all. Any ideas? Anyone got any new things to try?

Thanks!

AndrewW36 and StevenT13 like this.
  17. StevenT13

StevenT13 Bit poster

Same issue as MarkL60 here !

AndrewW36 likes this.
  18. StevenT13

StevenT13 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Alright, so I might have found the issue here and it works with both the app from the store and the one from the xbox website.

So first of all, make sure that you have full access as an admin in Windows 11.

Also, on Mac OS, make sure that under :
    Settings > Privacy and Security > Files and Folders, Parallels have full access.
    Same thing under Settings > Privacy and Security > Full Disk Access.

Now, on Windows 11, close the Xbox App (make sure that it's closed even in the bar near the clock). Open Powershell as Admin and run this command :
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

What it'll do it's to delete the Gaming Services. Once that's done, reopen the Xbox App and it should run fine. Let me know if it didn't work.

JohnL8, IanR7, JayS12 and 1 other person like this.
  19. StevenT13

StevenT13 Bit poster

Also, does anyone happen to know why I can only run games in cloud gaming (I have the Ultimate subscription) and I'm not able to download and install the games ? (I'm trying to download Forza Horizon 5).

Thanks !

20. MarkL60

MarkL60 Bit poster

Thank you Steven!!! Worked like a dream!!!

21. MarkL60

MarkL60 Bit poster

This is where I am at now- I own MS Flight Simulator, but I cannot get an install button on the XBox App. I have run Dxdiag and confirmed that my Parallels Windows 11 has all the requisites for Flight Simulator. I have also made sure that the XBox App is running as Administrator, so I'm not sure .