Steam games not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RyanM37, Oct 13, 2022.

1. RyanM37

RyanM37 Bit poster

Hi Everyone

Have downloaded Parallels 18 and have installed steam, some games run but have black icons over alot of things in game and I cannit see things properly, also Call Of Duty WW2 wont launch, the green play button is clicked but it just says running and then reverts back to the green play button in steam again.

Ive check and it says directx 12 is installed, any tips please as im lead to belive steam games should work fine in this parallels edition?

Andrey22, BurakA1 and Emjosc like this.
  2. DanielK46

DanielK46 Bit poster

I am having the same problem with call of duty. I never used parallels before so I thought it was maybe me. But since its the same game and the same problem, I'm thinking its parallels.

3. BenjaminD8

BenjaminD8 Bit poster

Has there been a fix for this? I'm on a M1 Max MacBook Pro with 64GB of RAM. I've never used Parallels before but I'm trying to play the new Call of Duty and I'm getting the same issue. I click Play and then it sits for a second. Then it shows me the Play button again as if I never clicked it.

Emjosc likes this.
  4. BurakA1

BurakA1 Bit poster

I have the same problem as well.. I tried it with different Windows 11 ARM version but it did not work.

5. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

OK, the current state of things is that Parallels and pretty much all other products currently support up to DirectX11. Prior versions of Apples Metal API (prior to Metal 3 launched with macOS 13.0) had insufficient requirements to support DirectX12. This has now changed, but I suspect the developers of Parallels will still need to create new drivers/Parallels Tools before DirectX12 will be possible.
    I am certain that this will eventually occur, but I have no idea on any timelines and Parallels has not provided an indication on one either.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  6. JohnM140

JohnM140 Bit poster

I am able to open Cyberpunk 2077 on the VM through steam but as soon as the game boots, it crashes. How often does Parallel check their forums and fix these bugs? Only reason why I got this software was to use steam...are there other vms that are able to hold up?

7. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

Cyberpunk 2077 requires DirectX12 and will not fall back to any prior DirectX API. As "NO ONE", including VMware has managed DirectX12 support in virtualization, I suspect it's more than just a few bugs. The hope is the new Metal 3 API (only available since late November) provides the necessary features to make it possible, before Metal 2 and it's revisions were insufficient for feature parity with DirectX12. It'll come, but I expect a later 2023 ETA for the developers to get it done.
    It's not like Microsoft will help.

8. AlexanderS51

AlexanderS51 Bit poster

The primary reason I installed Parallels is to run Windows-exclusive titles on Steam. One in particular that's been giving me trouble is Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (DLC). I continue to encounter the same problem as some others here have referenced: I select the game to play, the system acknowledges the command (Steam even says 'running' for a brief second before immediately quitting out). I thought perhaps it was an issue with my files (but I know the game was installed properly and all the necessary files are still where they should be), but when I go to run the game through the game files I can't activate any mods, as they force me out of the game and it refuses to reopen. Any advice or suggestions are welcome, I hope this helps Parallels improve their systems.

9. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    To help us understand and investigate this issue better, kindly perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.
    Thanks

10. CarlosS12

CarlosS12 Bit poster

Hello Pramesh Boodadoo, I'm experiencing this same issue. I just sent the report as you instructed and here's the resulting Report ID: 423394914

11. CarlosS12

CarlosS12 Bit poster

Hello Pramesh Boodadoo, I'm experiencing this same issue. I just sent the report as you instructed and here's the resulting Report ID: 423394914

12. AaditK

AaditK Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same issue trying to run NBA2K23 on the Windows 11 virtual machine through Parallels. The Report ID is 427864938. Thank you!

13. WillR2

WillR2 Bit poster

Was this issue fixed in the end? I'm trying to play Land of the Vikings on Parallels with M1 chip via Steam and it simply returns to the game's page on Steam as if I never tried to run it.

14. WillR2

WillR2 Bit poster

@Pramesh Boodadoo Can you PLEASE update us on this? You requested the information about the fault from this person, and they sent it. We only request the courtesy of a response, even if the response is 'We can't fix this'.

15. ClaraM2

ClaraM2

I experience the same issue on an Apple M1 Max MBP running Parallels Pro Version 19.2.1 (54832). Based on what I read here, Parallels has made zero attempts of resolving the issue, which is rather disappointing.

16. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and for late response.
    Please try updating Parallels Desktop to the version 19.3

There has been some changes in graphic rendering issue.

Let us know if these resolve your issue as well.

Thanks

17. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Just installed the update and everything including the old Microsoft Links 2003 still works great. Does this "update" have anything to do with being able to run games that need Direct X 12 yet???

18. tintin

tintin Member

Firstly, I'd like to say that I think that the removal of my previous posts on this thread deserves an explanation.
    Secondly, I can confirm that v19.3 has made no difference in addressing the issues I see in Steam.
    Thanks.