Blackberry desktop software not working

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by quadgrande, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I configure our BB's first sync through BootCamp... It doesn't crash there for me. After that is done I boot up in Parallels from the BootCamp partition. I have to open Parallels directly from the application to get things to work as entailed in this thread: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=71216

2. kms_md

kms_md Member

I could not get the latest DM and a Sprint 8830 to play nice in Parallels 3.0 (build 4560). This is the only problem I have ever had with Parallels. My solution (inelegant though it may be) was to download the RC1 for Fusion (I paid the 40.00 licensing fee -- seemed like a pretty good deal) and use DM in the Fusion VM. I run Parallels for everything else.

3. RonC

RonC Bit poster

I am using OS X 10.4.10 on a MacBook Pro, Parallels 2 build 3124, Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.2.2.14 at&t/Cingular version, and about 67 Blackberry 8700c phones. I am having the same problems with connecting and the software hanging whilst connecting to the JVM. I have once or twice fluked a connection but could not repeat it. I have tried manual and auto USB connections. One of the times I managed to get a connection I was in full screen mode but then couldn't repeat the success next time. Since fixing/programming Blackberries is one of my main functions it is frustrating to have to shut everything down and boot my Boot Camp partition everytime I have to work on a Blackberry. I would try to do it in my Parallels Boot Camp vm except that they aren't on speaking terms and I don't have the time to rebuild my Boot Camp partition for the third time.

4. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

Wish I had the golden answer but really there isn't one. see thread below. a few of us were able to get fairly consistent sync's going.

http://forum.parallels.com/thread13380-2.html

I still have problems though. The most common is once desktop manager connects and I press sync the BDM freezes. I should note that I am using companion link to sync with and ACT database. Don't know if that plays into the problem. In any case I can usually reboot windows and get it to work.

5. mszablocky

mszablocky Bit poster

Workaround for Blackberry USB Sync

I've been able to sync my Blackberry 7250 consistently by following these steps:

First launch the Blackberry Desktop Software (4.2.2.14). Double-click Synchronize. In the Synchronize Tab make sure Automatic Synchronization is checked. Then attach the handheld to your USB connection. With Automatic Synchronization checked, the connection doesn't have a chance to time-out.

The steps for Backup/Restore are a little different. Launch Blackberry Desktop Software. Double-click Backup and Restore. In this case DON'T use Options/Automatically Backup My Device Every 7 days. Instead, attach your device. Select Backup. When you come to the Save dialog, you have already timed-out, so unplug the device. Plug it back in and click Save IMMEDIATELY! If you hesitate, you'll lose the connection. I haven't tried a Restore using this method.

I run a MacBook Pro Core Duo with OS 10.4.10 and Windows Vista Business. I'm at the latest Parallels build, 3.0 (4560). I use a Boot Camp partition.

My feeling about these time-outs is that the Mac is fighting with Parallels for the Blackberry connection. Go to System Profiler while the Blackberry is connected and you'll find RIM drivers listed under Hardware/USB. I've read other posts on this, but no one seems to know how to stop this behavior. There is also an unanswered post on Apple's Support Forum. I don't believe that Blackberry's drivers are at fault, as some others have said.

I've only been running Parallels for about a week. If any of the developers read this forum, let me tell you that this is a great product! Every feature has worked as advertised. I haven't had any of the connectivity problems I've been reading about. I've been able to burn discs, transfer large amounts of data to external USB drives, and run Retrospect backups and restores via the virtual machine without a single problem. There is some loss of speed, however.

In fact, the only thing about Parallels that I find annoying is purely cosmetic. Is there any way to stop the windows from resizing the way they do while the VM initializes?

6. rossf

rossf Junior Member

The only way I get Blackberry 100% working is with VMware Fusion. There's a lot to like about Parallels & I have been an early adopter right up to now - but I need Blackberry working and Fusion is the only option....apart from Bootcamp of course.

7. Avik Roy

Avik Roy Bit poster

I have had nothing but problems syncing blackberry in Parallels. I am running Vista Ultimate on Parallels 3.0 on OS X 10.4.10. With my old blackberry 7290, I got the JVM freeze. So I updated to the latest Blackberry desktop software (4.2), and got nowhere. Then I upgraded to a Blackberry Curve this week, installed the desktop software associated with that device, and am having the same JVM freeze. Extremely upsetting given that the whole reason I bought Parallels and Vista and MS Office 2007 was to use my blackberry with MS Outlook on a Mac!

8. Avik Roy

Avik Roy Bit poster

Well, I will have to eat my words. After trying the "disconnect and reconnect the device" trick, with automatic synchronization on, I was finally able to configure BDM to associate with MS Outlook. Now, the BB synchronizes reliably with the BDM, every time I connect. The only challenge is attempting to reconfigure BDM -- that requires the disconnect-reconnect end-around. Thanks guys.

9. agrapa

agrapa Bit poster

A similar way to make it work

I was successful at making it work this somewhat simpler way:
    I launch everything following the "regular" instructions. DM gets stuck just like it does for other folks. Every time DM gets stuck, I disconnect and connect the device after 1 second. Doing that unstucks DM. It's important to reconnect right away or DM might timeout.
    Works for me like a charm.

10. RonC

RonC Bit poster

Further to my previous post. I have tested the same software and Blackberries in VM Fusion and it works everytime.

11. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

What's wrong with this picture?

I see in the latest build (5160) that Parallels is promoting the fact that they have changed Parallels to accommodate being able to Sync to the new Apple I-Phone. I for one find that a little ironic. Now I recognize that the latest media claims over 1 million Iphones out there, and that is a big audience for Parallels to appeaze but c'mon guys there has to be a ton of various Blackberry's out there all using BB Desktop Intellisync and "PARALLELS STILL DOES NOT WORK SEAMLESSLY WITH THIS PRODUCT".

Yes I have gotten around the issues with plugging in and unplugging to get it configured and if set to auto sync when the phone connects it does sync but don't try to do anything else when it finishes, don't try to load an applications, transfer media, etc. because the BB Desktop in all likelihood is frozen. And really is all this jury- rigging to get it to work something that we should have to do anyway?

So my comments to Parallels is "What the heck is going on?" with this thread, this issue has been going on a long time and you have been seriously silent about it. So my guesses are:

1. You have tested the issue yourself and you do not think there is a problem? And we are all having problems because we all have different hardware, etc.

2. You have no idea what is causing the problem? Which also means its either not a priority to fix it or you can't duplicate it, or you don't have the tools to fix it, or?

3. It's just not important to fix or even address everyones concerns.

4. Our expectations that BB Desktop work flawlessly with Parallels is unrealistic even though it does work 100% with a standard Windows XP PC and I thought that is what Parallels promotes.

5. The problem is still in the "queue of things to be fixed" and didn't have the priority that making the Apple I Phone had to work?

So which one is it?

So far there have been hundreds of people who have read these threads but I would bet 1000's more who haven't because they don't know about the forum, can't get help from AT&T or Blackberry about this problem. You get that "well your trying to sync using a Windows VM on a MAC and we don't support that") reply and/or they are not sophisticated or pigheaded enough to try and get to the bottom of this like everyone else who is on this thread.

So I think some sort fo confirmation of what the status of this issue really should be forthcoming from Parallels as you know that your product paired with new hardware from Apple really is revolutionary and works remarkably well in many aspects and that the abundance of Black Berry phone users are only going to continue to grow and that means more unhappy BB Desktop sync issues to deal with.

And more unhappy customers....

12. mszablocky

mszablocky Bit poster

Support has deteriorated across the industry

I couldn't agree with kevinw more. When I posted, I just wanted others to be able to at least perform a basic sync without having their devices timeout. But why should paying customers have to put up with these endless problems that are associated with almost every product to hit the market. When we buy a piece of hardware or software, all most of us expect is that the product will work as advertised. Instead, we have to become our own IT department to avoid having to spend a fortune on technicians.

This lack of consideration isn't limited to Parallels. Even though I like their product in general, there is no reason why so many Blackberry customers should have to jump through hoops to sync their devices. Just look at the nightmare the move to the new OS's have caused. Palm had two years to make certain that their devices and desktop software were compatible with Vista. This hasn't happened, and I lost the use of an important handheld app. Other software companies still haven't caught up with Apples switch to Intel processors. We're still waiting for several software titles to go Universal. I've saved the best for last. About four days ago the iTunes Store began experiencing problems with delivering purchases. But get this! They aren't having problems charging for the music that none of their customers are receiving.

We as consumers really need to get the word out to these people that we are tired of helping them refine their products. That's why they pay for R&D. If the product is not ready, then don't release it.

13. RonC

RonC Bit poster

I have now upgraded to v3.0 build 5160 and the Blackberry still will not work.

14. akmedia

akmedia Bit poster

Sold my BlackBerry. Bought an iPhone. Syncs with my Mac with near perfection. Only using Parallels/Windows for QuickBooks now...

15. Jaysen

Jaysen Junior Member

Disable "Update device's date and time"

I unchecked that box and things started working for me.

OSX 10.4.10
    Parallels build 5160
    BB DTM 4.2.2.14
    exchange/bes

16. Neil Adleman

Neil Adleman Bit poster

What Blackberry device are you using?
    Does this work with a Pearl (8100) ?
    ....a Curve?

17. Jaysen

Jaysen Junior Member

An older 7520.

It exhibits all the same behaviour as described in other posts.

18. Neil Adleman

Neil Adleman Bit poster

Quote:
    "Disable "Update device's date and time"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I unchecked that box and things started working for me.

OSX 10.4.10
    Parallels build 5160
    BB DTM 4.2.2.14
    exchange/bes "

Has anyone else tried this?
    Any success?
    What device and configuration have you tried?

19. Jaysen

Jaysen Junior Member

I am now 3 days in with out a single hang up. As a test I built a new XP image, installed DTM and connected the BB 7520. Instant hang. Went intot eh DTM, unchecked the "update device's date and time" and everything now works on teh new image as well as the old.

Could be a fix for just the 7520 when connected to MBP 17, but 2 separate VM had the same solution.

20. Neil Adleman

Neil Adleman Bit poster

Sounds promising.
    Anyone else tried this with a Pearl or other device?