Bootcamp Partition Not Found in Manual Configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KengS, Sep 30, 2017.

1. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

There is an update of Parallel to version 13.2.0 (43213), and I updated it, but it seems there is no improvement.... Is there any solution for this bootcamp problem?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

I understand that the boot camp partition doesn't appear in the initial VM setup window in Parallels Desktop wizard. But please confirm whether you have attempted the steps following the heading "If the option to Use Windows from Boot Camp is not present in Parallels Wizard but you are sure your Mac has the Boot Camp partition with Windows installed:" in this article.

3. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

I tried the procedure in the article, but my bootcamp volume doesn't appear....
    I can run this volume natively without any problem, but I really don't know what to do. Since I upgraded to version13 for High Sierra, but it seems i just wanted my money....

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Then, further investigation is needed. Please reproduce the scenario wherein, during the creation of a new virtual machine, the boot camp partition doesn't appear in virtual machine configuration under Hardware -> Hard Disk -> Source, generate a Problem Report ID while the said scenario is being displayed and reply with the report ID number. Expecting your kind cooperation.

5. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

Thanks for your reply. I have sent the report, which is 228670941. I am bit worried about the report, since my Parallel is Japanese version. If you need to clear some language issue, please let me know. I hope this can solve my problem......

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Thanks! We'll get back to you on this asap.

7. Hemnath@Parallels

Dear folks, kindly be informed that this issue has been reported to our engineering team and they're working on the same at present. We'll keep you posted.

tgoecke likes this.
  8. LotharG

LotharG Bit poster

9. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

I found that my startup disk control panel got some problem. It's set to Bootcamp partition, but when I want to change to OSX volume to startup OSX High Sierra, it says "The bless tool was not unable to set the current bootable disk".....
    Is this the very problem of the whole issue? It so, can anyone help me to solve this...?

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RentaroH, no! it's an issue with the virtual machine configuration. This is to acknowledge the issues you brought up have been passed on to our Engineering Team and we will try our best to address these in one of the upcoming updates.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

12. RentaroH1

RentaroH1 Bit poster

haven't heard anything from parallel for more than a month, and I am not sure when I will be able to use Parallel desktop.... Is there anyway to get the refund back...?

13. BrianS12

BrianS12 Bit poster

Is there a solution to this yet? From the thread, it doesn't look like it. I have a Late-2013 iMac running High Sierra (Version 10.13.3) and have Parallels 13.2.0 (43213). I just did a Boot Camp installation of Windows 1709 (ISO downloaded from Microsoft, installed via USB stick) on my 1TB SSD drive. I can boot natively into Windows with no issues (alt at boot to select) and Windows works great. However, I can't get anything to come up in Parallels. If I got to Disk Utility I see a "BOOTCAMP" partition, and if I go to Startup Disk I see "BOOTCAMP Windows" listed. When I do File->New in Parallels Boot Camp is not listed there, and if I go through all of the steps to set it up manually, when I click on Hard Disk in the manual configuration there isn't a Boot Camp partition listed anywhere. I can't get Parallels to work with my Bootcamp partition, and I'm not sure what to do. Please help!

14. BrianS12

BrianS12 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had a similar issue, and got help to figure it out. My problem was that I had a previous "My Boot Camp" installation that I had gotten rid of, and then re-installed (re-partition, etc.). When I would load Parallels it had a "My Boot Camp" that would come up but it wouldn't boot. I would close it, then go to File->New and then there wasn't an option for Boot Camp, and the manual configuration wouldn't work. However, when it had the "My Boot Camp" up you can right-click, then click "Remove". After that, it would go right into a setup for Boot Camp, and after letting it install the installation worked. Closing the window wasn't enough, you had to remove it from Parallels. Now everything is good again. Hope that helps someone....

JohannesB10 and ThomasC9 like this.
  15. KatherineD1

KatherineD1 Bit poster

Brian S12, that worked for me. You're a lifesaver.

16. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

@BrianS12 This finally solved it for me too. THANK YOU!!

17. daveb12

daveb12 Bit poster

I'm on the new 14 Parallels desktop pro and Mac 10.14.2. All fully up to date.
    Previously had a standard parallels installation with vm within Mac. But reinstalled a newly licensed version of windows (old licence wouldn't work) on bootcamp after reinstalling parallels on my Mac.
    I have the same problem as mentioned here, have submitted a support ticket. None of the online help with parallels or apple helps.
    Are there any systems preferences panes or similar that need to be deleted, even though Parallels states that you just have to drop the Parallels folder into the trash to fully uninstall?

18. Hi daveb12. If the option to create a BootCamp based virtual machine is not available, please make sure that the BootCamp partition is 'mounted' in the Mac 'Disk Utility'. If it is not mounted, please mount the drive and check whether you are able to create the virtual machine from the BootCamp partition.

19. MarkG20

MarkG20 Bit poster

I know this is a discussion from a few years ago but I bought Parallels 11 and didn't install it at the time. I am having precisely the issue discussed above, and even though it is claimed that this issue was fixed in Parallels 11, that is not my experienced. I'm running Mac Catalina, have already installed Windows via Boot Camp but want Parallels to use this version in Mac OS. But, the following the manual procedure as directed results in the Boot Camp partition not being found. Is there a solution to this?

I know there are later versions of Parallels, but I'm not going spend even more money if this simply doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 11 is not compatible with Catalina. You have to upgrade Parallels Desktop or downgrade macOS X to compatible version.