Build 41591 will not install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RyanM7, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RyanM7

RyanM7 Junior Member

I did boot in recovery mode and reinstalled macOS, same result.

Paul - 41591 is the build I have been having trouble with, is there a newer build that resolves this issue? I am not sure what to do next.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RyanM7, there might be an issue with "Launch Services database corruption"

Follow the instructions below to rebuild LaunchServices database:

1. Open Terminal.app on the Mac.

2. Paste the command below in Terminal:

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain system -domain local -domain user
    3. Type your Mac password when required, then hit Enter.

Note: the password will not be seen at this point.

4. Close Terminal window and restart the Mac.

Install/upgrade Parallels Desktop again.

3. RyanM7

RyanM7 Junior Member

I think I did that earlier in this thread, but I did it again, restarted, same result. Still need to force quit the dock icon.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RyanM7, it might be occurred due to the wrong permissions to the necessary folder on the Mac side.
    1. Open Terminal application (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal);
    2. Copy the following command, paste it into Terminal window and press Return:
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Preferences/Parallels
    3. Try to run Parallels Desktop now.
    NOTE: Also, there might an alias called 'Parallels' in the /Library/Preferences directory instead of a folder called 'Parallels'. In such case please remove an alias.