Can't install Parallels Tools under 11.2

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SethS1, May 24, 2016.

1. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Tools installation dies at 69% every time. I have tried every suggested solution on the Forums with no success: (1) completely uninstall Tools, (2) completely uninstall and reinstall Parallels, (3) try to install Tools as administrator, (4) run sfc /scannow before installing Tools, (5) using the registry patch intended for Windows 7, (6) verifying adequate disk space for the VM, etc.. Please help!
    Thanks.
    Seth

2. Hello SethS1,
    Kindly check if there is any Antivirus installed in your Windows virtual machine.
    If yes then, please uninstall it completely and restart your Windows once and try to (re)install parallels tools and let us know how it works.

3. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I disabled Windows Defender (it can't be uninstalled), rebooted, and tried to reinstall Parallels Tools. No change in result.

4. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi SethS1,
    Please take a snapshot before proceeding and follow the below steps:
    • Open Windows registry: Press Win+R -> type "regedit" -> hit Enter.
    • Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE- > File -> Load Hive -> specify "c:\windows\system32\config\drivers" -> name key somehow (say 'LoadedHive')
    • Edit -> Find, specify the name of the driver (e.g. "prl_dd").
    • Delete all entries of prl_dd in the 'LoadedHeave' branch. (Note: you will need to change owner of the branch and give it permissions 'Full Control').
    • Restart virtual machine and install Parallels Tools.

5. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

This didn't work like you described. I loaded the hive as indicated, but FIND found nothing named prl_dd in the LoadedHive.

6. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I ended up reverting to the previous version of Parallels using Time Machine, and Parallels Tools installed without a hitch. Please let me know when the newest version is ready for prime time, as I like to use the latest. It seems like Parallels often rolls out updates that aren't fully baked. Thanks.

Seth

7. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey guys,
    Try uninstalling Parallels Tools followed this steps.
    Then install Parallels Tools and check how it goes?

8. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

When I try to run the uninstaller, I get an AppleScript error.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi SethS1,
    Please open Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder, then type in:
    ~/Library/Parallels/Downloads
    and click Go
    Remove the MacLook installation file present there (maclook-ir.exe.prlupd-part or native_look.exe) and try using MacLook once again.

10. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

Now I'm really confused. Where does MacLook enter into this? There is no such file in the referenced folder. The only file in ~/Library/Parallels/Downloads is an old ParallelsAccess installer from 2014.

Can we get back on track to get this resolved?

Thanks.

11. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Could you share a problem report id, http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and we will look into it.

12. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Thanks for sharing this information.

13. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I submitted 3 reports last week (on May 24 and May 25) under my email address. Can you search for them? I'd prefer not to go through the whole rigmarole of installing 11.2, trying to install Tools, then having to restore the older version of Parallels from Time Machine. Thanks.

14. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @SethS1,
    Try uninstalling Antivirus program if any or add an exception for Parallels Access to that Antivirus program.
    If the issue still persists, please share your report id number.

15. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I just got around to trying again to update Parallels and install Parallels Tools. I am getting the same error. Problem report ID is 103323165.
    Thanks.

16. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi SethS1,
    Could you plz share a screenshot with us?

17. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

Screens shots are attached. New problem report ID is 103451914.
    Thanks.

18. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi SethS1,
    Try the below steps and let us know how it goes
    1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac
    Note: The article is also applicable for Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac & use PDRemove.zip for a complete uninstallation
    2. Reinstall Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac
    3. Run the registry fix here
    4. Install Parallels Tools from " Run --> %temp% --> Parallels Tools Package and run setup.exe as administrator "

19. DavidB23

DavidB23 Bit poster

I have a very similar problem happening. It's been happening for about 2 months, not sure I can pinpoint a date or reason. Windows 10, running on MBAir with Parallels 10, which I recently upgraded to 11, hoping this would resolve the issue, which it has not.

I have followed all procedures above, including disabling Windows Defender and Antivirus. Also specifically I followed Guna's instructions through to step 4. I had problems with step 4 as the run command didn't find any installers in the temp folder. So at this stage I ran the PTAgent as administrator.

So If I run it as regular user (which is an administrator anyway) the installer reports failure around 10-15%, but if I run it as Administrator the installer gets to 60%, changes screen size, goes to 67% and pauses there for a few seconds and then reports the failure with a window requiring reboot. The result dow not seem to differ whether AV and Defender are off or on.

I'm getting rather tired of this. All for getting Dynamic Resolution and speakers back.

Attached Files:

20. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

Tried your suggested steps...same outcome. Error report no. is 104016550. This is getting old.
    Seth