Can't install Parallels Tools under 11.2

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SethS1, May 24, 2016.

1. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi SethS1,
    Please refer to this article to disable all the third party apps and services . Follow this article to install Parallels Tools manually ( Follow Scenario 3: Most complicated)
    Thanks,
    Guna

2. Guna@Parallels

Hello DavidB23,
    Try the below steps and see if that helps you
    1. Open the Start menu, type in 'cmd' (Command Prompt) without quotes, right-click on the application and choose Run as Administrator.
    In Command Prompt type in: sfc /scannow (hit Return/Enter) and wait until the operation is completed.
    2. Follow this article to install Parallels Tools manually ( Follow Scenario 3: Most complicated)
    Thanks,
    Guna

3. DavidB23

DavidB23 Bit poster

I tried to follow this procedure to the letter, however there were some things that didn't work...
    - The sfc /scannow did not find any errors.
    - Windows did not allow me to delete every file for %temp%, even after reboot
    - The Parallels Mounter would not work in Parallels 11 so instead I moved the file over across Google Drive.
    - I ran the Setup from the copied and extracted folder. it got to roughly the same spot, shortly after it adjusted screen size, and then started reporting Rolling Back action, after which there was a dialog reporting unsuccessful install, and that I should restart. I t created a log, which I've attached. Note that there seem to be 3 major events in this log: Initial startup, first install attempt and second install attempt.

Attached Files:

4. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello Davidb23,
    Please follow the below steps and check how it goes:
    1> Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager
    2> Expand the node that represents sound device and uninstall the sound drivers.
    2> Restart the Windows and reinstall Parallels Tools.

5. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

Guna, the most recent suggestion didn't work. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Seth

6. DavidB23

DavidB23 Bit poster

Guna, the most recent suggestion did work for me, however the procedure wasn't quite as you listed it for Windows 10.

What I did was a search for Device Manager, then expanded Audio and deleted everything in that node, and expended Sound and deleted everything in that node, then restarted. I then ran the Windows Parallels Tools Setup.exe again from when I previously copied it to my desktop and this time it worked successfully.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. David

7. Guna@Parallels

Hello @DavidB23
    Awesome! Feel free to reach us anytime. We are here to help you.

8. Guna@Parallels

Hello @SethS1,
    Have you tried the following steps?
    1> Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager
    2> Expand the node that represents sound device and uninstall the sound drivers.
    2> Restart the Windows and reinstall Parallels Tools.

9. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I had success yesterday via a different path. The update reminder popped up in Parallels, so I decided to give it another go. Here are the steps that worked.
    1. Uninstall Parallels Tools in Windows Control Panel before updating to 11.2
    2. Let Windows reboot, reset the VM within Windows, reboot Windows again, then shut down Windows
    3. Install the 11.2 update via the update reminder popup (previously I'd tried installing it via the downloaded file)
    4. Launch Windows - in my case, the Windows desktop was black and the mouse didn't work, but...
    5. I used keyboard shortcuts to launch the Parallels Tools installer on my D: drive...and it worked!
    6. Reboot Windows
    I hope this helps others dealing with the same issue.
    Seth

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  10. Guna@Parallels

Hello @SethS1
    Glad you found a solution and it worked. We really appreciate your interest in sharing the troubleshooting steps.

11. Alessio2

Alessio2 Bit poster

Still does not work...

12. Guna@Parallels

Dear @Alessio2
    Did you get any error message while installing Parallels Tools?
    Kindly let us know the version of Parallels Desktop and Windows you are using.