New Macbook Pro Oct 2008 & USB Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by essay182, Oct 25, 2008.

1. DGoldman

DGoldman Bit poster

I did - at least I think I did - I sent an email to support and have received some suggestions - which have not worked yet....

2. jamone13

jamone13 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue

The only devices that work over USB are mass storage devices, everything else I've tried (USB -> Serial adapters, JTAG programmers) are not being recognized inside of the VM, they are showing up on Devices -> USB but checking them there does nothing.

MacBook Pro (late 2008)

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. essay182

essay182 Bit poster

I hope we'll see an update soon that addresses this issue. Looks like lots of people are having the same problems.

5. lynskyrd

lynskyrd Bit poster

USB device recognition

Same issue here- MacbookPro (Late2008)

Only seems to recognize USB harddrives- no camera, no USB > RS232, USB > Parallel, even memory sticks not being seem. The devices show up in the Parallels menu- When I enable them- no sound from Windows acknowledging "seeing" the device. Funny though- works fine in a Demo version of VMWARE- I actually imported my Parallels XP image to VMWare- loaded their tools / drivers, rebooted- everything works- Hmmmmm.

6. brett@vitaz.net

brett@vitaz.net Bit poster

Don't like Fusion, but...

I have a FTDI UC232R-10 USB to Serial adapter, and this problem screwed me big time yesterday. I require serial communications for my job. I got my shiny new replacement MacBook and was not able to load my projects. I know it's not Parallels' fault, but that didn't do me any good yesterday. I don't like Fusion, and if I have to switch, so be it. Please fix this today so I don't have to! I already submitted a ticket, but waiting 3 days is not an option.

7. brett@vitaz.net

Sayonara Parallels

For all of you plagued by this problem:

VMWare Fusion works fine.
    I just finished testing, and all of my USB devices work properly.

8. lynskyrd

lynskyrd Bit poster

<< "I know it's not Parallels' fault" >>

Then who's fault is it? -- VMWare got it right- and the unibody MacbookPro came AFTER Fusion. It's a flaw in the Parallels software design. I'm sure they will resolve the issue. I do like Parallels better but only because I know it. My trial of Fusion runs out in 10 days- So Parallels has 10 more days as far as I'm concerned. I administer a large network with over 400 pcs & macs- 42 Mac users. Now not all of them need to run Windows and not all of them have bought the new unibody yet- but 4 of them already did- and 2 of them discovered today about the USB thing. Not happy campers. I showed them Fusion running their RS232 based PAL programmers on my MacbookPRO. And now they are running the 15 day Demo. I'm hopeful that I won't have to spend another $70 just to do what I used to be able to do.

So... DO you still think "It's not Parallels fault" ???

9. John@Parallels

We are working on this with programmers
    But it is really not our fail as USB implementation is fully according to IEEE specification,
    the problem is any device which is not fully complain that specification

10. lynskyrd

lynskyrd Bit poster

<< "But it is really not our fail as USB implementation is fully according to IEEE specification" >>

John,

I think you need to read my initial post again... VMWare's Fusion 2 apparently had no problem with devices "not following" IEEE specs. Parallels "sees" the device- it shows up in the device list when you plug it in- it just isn't "telling" Windows about the device. This is a Parallels issue; NOT an IEEE compliance issue. Are you going to blame Apple next?

As I posted earlier- I have no doubt Parallels will find the problem- It just needs to get done.
    Do your company a favor- Just say that the programmers are working on it and will have a fix shortly.

Regards.

11. John@Parallels

Actually, I am about it near around, to trace what is not working,
    But I am describing situation,
    We have several test builds with fully free USB specification, and testing them, probably we will do the same,
    One build for user who wants free USB implementation, another is for people who want strong IEEE USB specification

12. essay182

essay182 Bit poster

Is this issue fixed in Parallels v4??

13. majekal1@yahoo.com

majekal1@yahoo.com Bit poster

Yet another dissatisfied customer

Recent pc convert...Purchased parallels v3 two weeks ago from a mac store only to find out there is a version 4 that I have to pay to upgrade to. After trying everything listed in your documentation I still cannot get my usb port to work. I sent a request for help and when I tried to log onto your website to follow up on my ticket # it tells me my email is invalid. And to talk to a live person it will cost me $30. This is a racket. I will not recommend your product...can I get a refund?

14. lynskyrd

lynskyrd Bit poster

/* "One build for user who wants free USB implementation, another is for people who want strong IEEE USB specification" */

I CANNOT believe what I'm reading. John- It's NOT a USB compliance issue- look at the symptoms. Look at the common denominators. ALL and ANY USB device- other than USB harddrives, are not available to the virtual machine. Parallels sees the device and recognizes it- the problem is that Parallels v3 (5584 and/or 5608) is not sending the device info to the WinXP based virtual machine. It has to be the way Parallels is interfacing with the Macbook Pro hardware. If it was a USB compliance issue- then my older White Macbook would be having the same problem. If it was a USB compliance issue- the devices wouldnt work with VMWares's fusion 2. The devices work on my new MacbookPro using VMWARE- and to top it off- I imported the Parallels .hdd into Fusion2- and my USB > RS232 devices work perfectly, my USB memory sticks work perfectly, my camera works, my cheap little Intel webcam works; - The SAME MacbookPro using the SAME virtual environment. Where is the confusion- what more information can I give you to get you to understand.

Your company needs to have this resolved by next week or I'm activating my VMWARE Fusion 2 trial to a fully registered product. Judging from the disaster that version 4 is- Hasta La Vista baby. You guys started out great too- what a shame.

Regards.

15. essay182

essay182 Bit poster

So has anyone testing parallels 4 with the new macbook pros yet?...

16. brett@vitaz.net

4.0 Works

This problem seems to have been resolved for me by upgrading to version 4.0.
    Now, how about a free upgrade for my troubles? : )

17. murraywoo

murraywoo Bit poster

I have raised a thread about this (#616996) and got two responses that don't answer the problem. Any help appreciated, please.

18. warnergt

warnergt Member

Add me to the list. My external USB drive doesn't mount in Windows XP Pro since I went to Parallels 4.0.
    I tried all the suggestions above. Nothing fixed the problem.

19. warnergt

warnergt Member

20. cc0773

cc0773 Bit poster

Is this fixed yet?

Are there any updates on this issue? I've been waiting 3 months for a PD3 update to fix this issue!