Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

@VLMaples: It's true and it's automagic. There's nothing to enable.

2. VLMaples

VLMaples Bit poster

@Junyor: It is great for cut and paste, but but does not work for undo or select all. Is it confined to cut and paste only? If more, what other features (print etc) are available with the standard apple keyboard shortcuts?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Valerie, who is thrilled to use DNS on her Mac at whatever inconvenience.

3. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

Command-AZXCV should work, according to the original post here. So, that means:

- Select All
    - Undo
    - Cut
    - Copy
    - Paste

If any of those aren't working, I'm not really sure why.

FYI, there's a new beta out just now, so that might help.

4. rfellows

rfellows Junior Member

New Beta?

Where's the link to the new beta....is it the same as the last one?

5. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

6. bzmac

bzmac Bit poster

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem than you. everything works fine when I boot windows bootcamp from Parallel, I can chose the parralel configuration by going down with the arrow, but when I am trying to boot directly with bootcap, my keyboard is stuck at the first screen asking to chose the conguration. I ned to hard reset and sometimes it works I can't explian why.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Bruno

7. YoramIH

YoramIH Bit poster

New beta released

Beta 2 (build 3094) has just been released.
    http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

Update: I am writing this update in IE 7 running Windows XP with Parallels Beta 2 from my Boot Camp partition in Coherence mode! So far it runs like a charm! Well done. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  8. blackmac

blackmac Junior Member

Have had the same trouble. That's how it worked for me.

Boot XP in Parallels, then uninstall Parallels Tools. Next remove the Parallels hardware profile (to be found in the System settings). Finally, edit boot.ini and remove the Parallels entry. Take care to adjust the default - probably to partition(1).

Now, boot XP from Boot Camp and re-install the Mac drivers from your Boot camp CD. If all fails, you may have to do a windows repair installation from your Windows installation CD first.

Now you should have a clean boot camp XP installation.

Next , start the new Parallels beta. Let it do its installation stuff. After that, coherence didn't work here. So I manually installed the Parallel Tools again, even though it's said not be necessary. However, after that, everything works as expected, and I can boot both in Boot camp and in Parallels. Also, there is no more need to choose an installation or hardware profile during XP startup. Good work!

HTH!

9. far

far Junior Member

Please provide configurable hot-key mapping

The 3036 Beta introduced Command-T to toggle between two states of the Parallels window display. I use this combination HEAVILY in my own applications. Could you please provide some way for us to configure any key combination of our choice to achieve the desired Parallels behavior? The same applies for other "Command-whatever" key combinations that Parallels decides to "reserve" for its own use.

Thanks

10. YoramIH

YoramIH Bit poster

Still activation window

Although at first this beta 2 seemed to have solved the activation troubles, I now am confronted again with the need to reactivate my Windows XP (installed in Boot Camp) license when using Parallels. :confused:

11. blackmac

blackmac Junior Member

Can you explain a little more detailed under which circumstances the activation reappeared?

12. YoramIH

YoramIH Bit poster

After booting WinXP via Parallels a warning appeared saying that the hardware is too different from the first time I activated WinXP and I have to reactivate. Afetr reading the instructions by Parallels it seems that this is normal.

After reactivating will I be able to keep using both Boot Camp to boot WinXP and Parallels??

Update: I tried to reactivate, but then I get a window telling me that I can not reactivate anymore and I will have to contact Microsoft if I feel this message is not valid.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  13. xpgamer

xpgamer Bit poster

Working Method

I finally got Parallels up and working with a Boot Camp partition, Coherence and all. In hopes of helping others, I'm posting my setup and what I did.

System: MacBook Pro
    Processor: 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory (RAM): 2GB
    Hard Drive: 120GB

Parallels: Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3094 Beta 2

Mac OS X: Version 10.4.8 With all updates installed as of Dec 22nd, 2006
    Windows: Windows XP Professional (Pro) Corporate (Corp) Service Pack 2 (SP2)

The errors I encountered before but were bypasses or fixed were:
    "Computer disk hardware configuration problem"
    "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp"

• I started with a factory install of Mac OS X. With Boot Camp I partitioned 95GB to Mac OS X and 25GB to Windows. I installed Windows normally.
    • Right at the first boot into Windows I installed the Macintosh Drivers from the burned Boot Camp CD and restarted.
    • I went to C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\ and made a copy of driver.cab and named it sp2.cab (got the tip from this thread). Then I installed Parallels Tools for Boot Camp (main) (mirror). I got Error Code 1 but it's fine.
    • I rebooted back into Mac OS X and installed then opened Parallels. I created a new Operating System by going to File, New, Custom, Windows XP, and marked that it should use the Boot Camp partition. Windows began to load (instead of an error :D).
    • Here waiting is *key*. The only thing you should do is click cancel when boxes pop up asking you to install drivers for various devices and wait until there are no more pop ups.
    • Actions from the top menu and Install Parallels Tools... I then restarted Windows in Parallels.
    • To get Coherence running, when Windows in Parallels started up again, I went to Start, Run, typed in cmd and pressed enter. Then I typed cd C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\ and pressed enter. Finally I typed cohrence.exe install (no typo) and pressed enter. These things must be typed in verbatim by the way (this was inspired by a part of this faq).
    • Finally reboot Windows in Parallels for good measure.

Hope this helps some people. :)

14. Mac2492

Mac2492 Bit poster

They fixed the command line bug... That's a relief and a bummer at the same time.

15. Ruzz.il

Ruzz.il Bit poster

Re: Beta 2

Just wanted to say I think you're really made my life better running pc on my mac than my pc makes running pc on on my. (that says it all). anyway... despite the 2 physical reboots I got stuck into to update to beta 2 (maybe I should have uninstalled p.tools first ?) I promptly got it to work.. beta 2 has been good to me. USB2 works great and something you guys didnt mention was that suspend and wake up times have improved substantially.. like 3 seconds each.. thats great compared to the 25±5 seconds of the previous beta. thanks guys :)

-Russ.

m.b.p c2d 2.33 15.4 and loving it.

16. hagen

hagen Junior Member

adding a sp2.cab file to i386 does not solve my "cannot load operating system" error immediately when BootCamp Partion starts to boot under Parallels. yes tools is gone, yes no other OS lines in the boot.ini file.

17. jtgregory

jtgregory Bit poster

Coherence

:eek: Let me first say that the new Coherence mode is remarkable and I'll fall in love with my mac all over again when all the bugs are worked out.

There is one annoying little catch in the way I was trying to use it, to explain:

I set up my windows taskbar to stick to the left side and auto-hide when not in use. So now when I want to run a windows app, I run the cursor to the left-hand side of the screen and the start menu shows up. Precisely what I expected from a killer app like parallels. If, indeed, I run a windows program the menu disappears and everything is happy.

When I don't open a program, perhaps because I exposed the taskbar by mistake, I can't take the mouse away and make it disappear. I'm sure the issue is that the pointer was still within the range of the taskbar when windows stopped getting messages about the pointer. Otherwise my experience has been absolutley seamless.

Honestly, thats the only problem I've found and if that's the only thing that goes wrong you deserve a standing ovation, nice job.

18. Gigabeat

Gigabeat Bit poster

Syncing my Gigabeat

I have a toshiba gigabeat that I use as my primary mp3 player (my previous computer was a toshiba) In any case I appreciate the update of the 2.0 usb but whenever I connect the gigabeat to the computer I get a message saying that some other program is using it and that the windows side cannot get access to it and I should try again in 5-10 seconds. Is there something that I can do to fix the problem?

19. Gigabeat

Gigabeat Bit poster

Audio CDs and DVD problems

Whenever I try to play a dvd or cd on the windows side I get a message from windows media player 11 saying that there is not enough storage space on the computer. I tried on the itunes on the windows side and it also will not play the cd. What can I do?

20. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Upgraded to 3036 and windows crashes installing Tools

I upgraded to 3036 on my system after installing it on a friends and seeing the new features. On my friends computer I installed it on a NEW Core Duo 2. It took two installs to complete. I installed once then while Tools was installing the XP system locked up. When I rebooted XP it would boot and then crash. I installed a 2nd VM and was able to succesfullt install Tools and get it running.

On my system, an original Macbook Pro Core Duo, I upgraded to 3036. About 75% through installing Tools the system locked up. I was able to reboot and get into XP and was simply flagged to upgrade tools. Now when I try to upgrade Tools, the system crashes out. I have since rolled back to 1970.

Do I need to do something different or wait for the fully tested release of 3036?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.