Problems with parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KOADOG, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Matt.W

Matt.W Bit poster

I'm in the same boat, same hardware. It now takes about 30 seconds just for the Apple logo to appear on the grey boot screen, this was always instant.

Just bought PD7, considering getting a refund since I'm in the 30 days.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Why don't you stick with PD7 and request a refund of Mountain Lion? I upgraded to Mountain Lion on my iMac and left my Mac Air on Lion. There's not much difference and since PD7 works perfect on Lion I'm keeping Lion and giving Mountain Lion a few weeks for Apple to iron out the kinks.

3. Matt.W

Matt.W Bit poster

Well I also bought a new SSD for when I was going to clean install Mountain Lion and I was enjoying having my very fast boot/shutdown. I didn't care much when PD7 made my old disk HDD boot slower, but I do now.

4. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I would clean install PD7 because my Mac Air has never gotten slower with any PD version but I do clean installs every time.

5. Matt.W

Matt.W Bit poster

I did do a clean install of PD7, it was a clean install of Mountain Lion, partitions erased, nothing was transferred from Lion as I did a clean install of everything.

6. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Sorry, I meant a clean install of PD7 with LION and then wait for Apple to fix all the bugs with Mountain Lion before upgrading. The only reason I upgraded my iMac to Mountain Lion is because it was on Snow Leopard when I bought it recently and Lion was not available anymore.

I won't upgrade my Mac air until ML is running smooth.

7. Matt.W

Matt.W Bit poster

I keep images from clean installs of OS's, so I backed up my current drive and restored a clean Lion install, installed PD7 same issues, very long boot times. The issue only appears after PD7 is installed.

8. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

possible sudo fix for slow shut down

Hey guys.

I noticed the following. My current shut down takes ~40 sec. (no wonder)

BUT if I open up Activity Monitor and force shut the process "prl_disp_service"*** the shut down is almost instant, no long-time-grey-screen.

How about someone creating an Applescript that when clicked kills that process and then tells Finder to shut down? Then we would have like an icon on the desktop which ment instant shut down.

Let's here what you guys think.

*** (I think it's this one, but my MBP is in service at the moment due to dead battery *yay for 24month of warrenty* so I'm on a different machine right now)

9. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin Member

Nice find! Force-Quitting the "prl_disp_service" does indeed make shutdowns/reboots *noticeably* quicker. Scripting this should be trivial, but in my opinion, we shouldn't need to do this in the first place. Also, killing the "prl_disp_service" doesn't seem to return the boot-up speed back to normal. Perhaps disabling or delaying the extension at boot can make a difference, although I'm not sure that if it were disabled, it would then be loaded when the primary application is launched -- it's obviously required for normal operation.

10. JPearn

JPearn Member

I can't believe I posted about the same problem with slowdowns of startup / shutdown I'm having a year ago on page 2 of this thread !! I hope it will be fixed soon, running Windows 7 in Coherence mode is awkward with the window manager not functioning correctly . . .

11. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

Does PD 8 solve the problem ???

Have anyone tried installing Parallels Desktop 8? Maybe the slow boot and slow shut down will be solved in PD8?

12. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Has anyone installed PD8 period? What are your opinions?

13. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

Also, what OS are you running?

I had roughly the same problems under Lion as well as Mountain Lion.

14. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

I tried PD8 as soon as I could get my hands on. Never had performance troubles with PD7/Lion nor PD7/Mountain Lion. PD8 has some glitches so far but still none performance problems. Changed my hardware recently to MBP retina - again no performance problems. My XP VM boots indeed faster than before (no glue if that makes the advertised 30% performance gain or not). Win 7 VM is not faster than before. What changed is the time to suspend the VM and wake it again - this is significantly faster than with PD7 on the same hardware machine.

15. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

Inemo:

In this thread: People who had their MAC OSX boot up and shut down times destroyed by PD7 or lion.

But hey, thank you for sharing!! That is indeed nice to know.

16. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

@ spaceranger:

I fully understood the topic. But you're right - my post was mistakable as I wrote about VM performance too. Sorry about that:)

To clarify: I never experienced host performance problems nor boot or shutdown issues, neither with PD7 nor PD8.

17. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Thanks for the info. This issue about time to start and shut down doesn't affect me as I keep my computer on all the time and when I'm not using it I just close the lid and open it when I need to use it (Mac Air totally SSD). The iMac I put to sleep when I'm not using it. I don't know why so many people shut their computers down so often. I wonder if they also completely turn off their iPads or just put them to sleep when they're not using them.

18. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

is 'ASAP' over yet?

It's been 1 year and 2 days.. come on, please, all was good with PD6 but PD7 ruined boot up and shut down.

And I'm not talking about the virtual machine, I'm talking about my MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 high end 8GB ram.

PLEASE

19. Spaceranger

Spaceranger Bit poster

Here is another nice (but pricy) find: upgrading to Parallels Desktop 8 pretty much solved the issue for me....