Windows 10 April Update, Version 1803 - Failed Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristopherG1, Apr 30, 2018.

1. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

I have exactly the same issue - has someone an idea how to fix this?

2. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Luckily I had a snapshot from the day before after installing the faulty april update. :)
    I've cloned my vm and did some tests - it seems that I have a resolution at least for my problem.

In the preferences of my vm I limited the CPU to one and the memory to 2GB and removed the USB- and Buetooth-entry from hardware tab.
    --> I think the last setting did the trick.
    With this settings I was able to install the windows april update (1803) from a mounted ISO-file.

Currently I'm trying to do this again but with online update and only with removed USB- and Bluetooth devices.

If this works I'll try to update my original vm...

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

I was able to install the update but after restart windows freezes completely after a short while... :-/

4. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Also after a clean install windows freezes shortly after start.
    --> It seems that it freezes (at least) as soon as a message is display (black message box in lower right corner) e.g. when you insert a dvd or iso.

5. JonathanB14

JonathanB14 Bit poster

After several attempts, 1803 installed for me by doing the following (as posted above):

1. deactivated Media Player
    2. turned off fast startup (although, this was turned back on during update)
    3. disabled anti-virus

6. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

7. ROLLINGER

ROLLINGER Bit poster

After multiple attempts to update, I did the one described in the previous messages. Thank you to the people who took the time to find the solution.
    Disable "USB and Bluetooth" and reset the profile of the VM.
    When restarting, the installation goes up to 30%, then black screen. But after a few seconds, the VM restarts, and the installation resumes at 30% and continues. Then idem at 75%.
    The installation of the update, ended up being total. And everything is working properly.

8. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Good to hear that this is also working for other people too.

9. ChrisW15

ChrisW15 Bit poster

This above is also exactly what has happened to me.
    After reading the forums here, if I do the following, will I be able to update successfully?
    Follow these steps to update my vm to 1803:
    disable usb and bluetooth in hardware tab and reset the profile settings of the vm.

10. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Just try it. :)

You can do a snapshot of your vm before making any changes.

11. RobertoR2

RobertoR2 Bit poster

Procedure also working in my case. Thank you guys. You are great.

12. ChrisW15

ChrisW15 Bit poster

These steps below worked for me, THANKS to those who found and posted this problem solver!

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1803:
    + started Mac and Win 10 vm as usual
    + created new snapshot of vm (just to be safe)
    + shut down vm
    + disabled access to USB & Bluetooth in vm Config hardware tab
    + reset profile from Dev to Productivity (and back to Dev) in vm Config general tab
    + started update to 1803
    + after about four auto restarts during update plus auto Parallels Tools reinstall, vm opened normally
    + checked vm Config for usual settings, all ok now
    + reset display resolution and text size percent in display settings for Win 10 vm (for unknown reason, the update caused a change), all ok now
    Glad this is complete; however, since the issues I had (as others did as well) were related to Parallels, doesn't it seem like the Parallels people could have indicated these steps to assist us before we wasted so many hours?

Again, THANKS to you on this forum!

SchroedersKater likes this.
  13. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

I had to do a lot of updates and clean installations until I have found out the problem.
    First Updates (online and from dvd) and clean installs failed.
    After that I've tried a clean install in a new vm - as this was working as expected I was sure that this must be an issue with the settings.

I'm glad that my steps are working by others too.

Maybe it's time for parallels to add this to their knowledgebase.

14. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

Thank you very much for this posting!

It helped me to get the update installed. But there are two minor inconsistencies I found:

- Parallels now does not show the developer setting any more.
    - Windows now occupies about 7 GB more than before.

Regarding the last point my VM is now about 52 GB with nothing really big installed. Is there a way to get it smaller?

15. Alessio F

Alessio F Bit poster

Hi all,
    My problem of black screen (during system shutdown) after update to Win April 2018, I solved it by deleting the VM and Parallels, and doing clean installation of Parallels and Windows 10 Pro (via .ISO), now seems to work all correctly and the VM it seems a lot more performing!
    Ciao ciao