Windows 10 Default Browser

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LaurenceH, Jul 18, 2016.

1. KaiS1

KaiS1 Bit poster

Yeah, the VM is configured correctly, with all of them set to "Open in Mac".

I am an administrator account, and I did have "Share Mac applications with Windows" checked. Sharing Windows applications with Mac should not be necessary (in fact, neither should be with the "Open in Mac" option being available), but I enabled it anyway and that did not make any difference. However after toggling both, I reinstalled Parallels Tools, which did make them show up, but while Safari is now an option for .url, Chrome is not (and neither is Firefox, which I also have installed on OS X):

[​IMG]

And while "use Safari" would not actually be an acceptable answer to the problem, I tried setting it to that anyway just for testing purposes, and it didn't actually make any difference - links still opened with Edge after a restart.

Look, I do appreciate your help in trying to get this fixed, but what it comes down to is that the "Open in Mac" for web and email links is supposed to do exactly what I'm asking of it (and it did, prior to being broken in as of Windows 10 Anniversary Update). And if Parallels will not fix it, then it leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth, especially since it appears to have also affected Parallels 12, and they did in fact update that. That gives the impression that they will only support each version for barely a year and drop it as soon as a new version is released, and if that's the case, I don't think I will stick with using Parallels anymore, despite having used it since 8.

2. Martin9

Martin9 Member

don't blame me if I overread it but did you try to set url-association to "Safari (MAC)" while Chrome is set for standard browser in OS X? Probably it will open in Chrome even if set to Safari? If that doesn't work I agree to your position. Actually I didn't plan to switch from 11 to 12 either but did it by mistake...so while a new Mac OS is free every year I have to pay 50 bucks every time Apple brings an annual update...

3. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

I agree 110%! Please do not think other wise. I am a parallels product expert which is just a user of parallels that is knowledgable enough that the moderators feel i am able to be a first line of help to other users with issues here on the forums. You should only have to check open in mac and be done with it and it should work. This is why we as consumers pay for Virtualization Software. I just want to help you get it working until you or myself can get the development team involved in a permanent Fix that involves no workaround or hoop jumping. I am very sorry that you are having these troubles to begin with and i will do my absolute best to get this fixed the right way. If i only had access to the source?:rolleyes:;)

Martin9 likes this.
  4. KaiS1

KaiS1 Bit poster

I did try setting it to Safari (Mac), but that didn't seem to work either.

Yeah... I've thus far been able to just live with it because my primary Windows VM on my workstation is running basically 24/7, so outside of very occasional host reboots or Windows updates, it's not a big problem. But it's still an annoyance, and not one that I should have to pay $50 to get fixed.

5. DustinHullett

I agree and you won't because this will work just fine in parallels 11 because that's what I was running two weeks ago and never had a problem so I know it is possible in PD11.

6. KaiS1

KaiS1 Bit poster

Parallels 11 got an update, but this remains unresolved. :mad:

7. DustinHullett

try going to your Vm configuration settings > Options > Applications > uncheck Share Mac Applications With Windows and reboot the Vm
    Now go back and check Share mac applications with windows then see if you can set your defaults.
    Sometimes the defaults file associations for parallels get broken and this should reset them in your windows VM
    report back to let me know if this help. Thnaks

8. KaiS1

KaiS1 Bit poster

Nope. I had both "Share Windows applications with Mac" and "Share Mac applications with Windows" disabled (because they are unnecessary with the "Open in Mac" setting), so the above results (Chrome on Mac not being an option, and selecting Safari on Mac still resulting to reseting to Edge) were with a "fresh" setting of the Share Mac apps with Windows option.

9. GaryP5

GaryP5 Bit poster

I have the latest version of Parallels 11, and have same issue as above with continual reset to Edge as default browser. Are parallels planning to release a hot fix for version 11 or NOT. Have tried all the fixes and suggestions above with the exception of the 'block' method.

it would seem mean not to fix this given Parallels know this is an issue and made a fix for version 12 PDQ.

10. KeithLa

KeithLa Bit poster

Another Parallels 11 user here checking in to report this same problem, no solutions discussed in this thread work for me. My current understanding is that Parallels 11 is touching the Win10 browser default every time it starts the VM, which Win10 then detects and reverts to Edge due to a new hash-based security check. Registry solutions (e.g. by Ramesh Srinivasan on winhelponline.com) to block that Win10 behavior did not work for me.

I do not wish to pay to upgrade to Parallels 12 to get this fixed, since 11 works great for me. Parallels should fix this in 11.

11. ChristophK1

ChristophK1 Bit poster

@KeithLa i have Parallels 12 installed and it's still bugged. Every solution mentioned in this thread didn't work for me either. Hope this will get fixed soon

12. Niloo

Niloo Bit poster

Hi there!
    I have tow parallels on my Mac . I downloaded trial windows and then I bought today. But I can not transfer my software from trial to new one. Or I might merge tow parallels.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.12.21 pm.png
    Regards

13. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Having this problem with Edge always returning as default browser on restart. Latest PD 13.2. Reproducible on multiple machines and Win10 VMs. I think it started after recent Win10 patches. Haven't found a workaround that works yet. Parallels probably needs to be updated. They haven't released a patch in ages. Anyone else seeing this issue again with latest PD & latest Win10?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. DavidA21

DavidA21 Bit poster

I have the same problem, running Version 13.2.0 (43213) with updated Toolbox.

I didn't have the problem with Version 12?

15. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Opened a support ticket, they claim they can't reproduce this in their lab, so I have to schedule a LogMeIn session with them. Hard to believe, since I've reproduced it on multiple VMs and multiple Macs. But we'll see.

16. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Reproduced the problem for first level support. On to level 2...

17. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Support has confirmed this problem is due to changes in Win10 Fall Creators Update. Parallels will have to issue a fix in an update. It's in the dev queue, no ETA yet.

18. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Here's a brilliant workaround! Use this great, free tool on startup to reset the http & https protocol handlers to Parallels' Open on Mac:
    SetUserFTA http://kolbi.cz/blog/?p=346
    For Open on Mac app, the config would be (protocol, ProgId):
    http, Prls.IntAppFile.Http
    https, Prls.IntAppFile.Https
    If you read the instructions, there are several easy ways to configure it on startup. The easiest is probably just to create a config file and then run SetUserFTA from a shortcut in your Startup folder (in Start Menu):
    C:\<path>\SetUserFTA.exe C:\<path>\<configfilename>

19. johnrellis

johnrellis Junior Member

Thanks DoniK for the detailed update.

The default browser in my configuration also gets reset to Microsoft Edge every time after Windows reboots. I have to reset it in Windows by doing Start Menu > Settings (gear) > Apps > Default Apps > Web Browser > Open In Mac. This just started happening to me in the last week or two.

In the VM configuration, I have Options > Web & Email > Web Pages set to Open In Mac.

Parallels Desktop for Mac 13.2.0, Macos 10.13.3, Windows 10 Home (with the latest updates as best as I can tell).