Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. CarlosF6

CarlosF6 Bit poster

I have the same problem here (MacBook Pro M1 - Parallels 17.1). Windows 11 ARM stopped working...

2. CarlosF6

CarlosF6 Bit poster

This issue has to be fixed by Microsoft or Parallels?

3. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

Since I wrote the last time, I now have released Windows 11 running under Parallels 17.1. I STILL can't get Zemax OpticStudio (nor Zemax License Manager) to run. I have been in contact with both Zemax and Parallels. Zemax say that their SW runs on Windows 11 PC's, but they haven't tested it on M1 Macs. They suggested that I repair MS Visual C redistributables. I did that - still same problem. I had an on-line session with Parallel's Support Engineer, and he could not figure out why the Zemax SW does not run. Nobody seems to take a full responsibility of fixing this issue. I am continuing my saga with both Zemax and Parallels, and will report here if anything positive comes up. Again - the basic issue is that a SW that runs on Windows 11 PCs does not run on the MAC M1/Parallels/Windows11 combination.

4. davidland

davidland Bit poster

I also have the same concern as you

5. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

Continuing my post from November 5: Unfortunately I have nothing positive to report. It seems that Windows 11 for ARM and Windows for PC are different in some sense, which prevents my specific SW (OpticStudio by Zemax) from running on Win11/ARM. The SW supplier (Zemax) is not going to develop a version for Win11/ARM, so I am stuck (together with other Mac/ARM users who would like to use this SW). My only hope is that Microsoft will (somehow) merge the two Win11's (ARM and PC) so that any PC SW can run under Win11/ARM.

6. TaoZ4

TaoZ4 Bit poster

This is the problem I am having. I am signed in as a member. táo zin

7. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

It's not unexpected that not every x64/x86 program is going to be compatible with ARM. One will run into compatibility issues with Surface devices or other Windows ARM devices too.
    Nevertheless one should note that x64/x86 emulation works well in 98% of cases, and .NET x64 also works, if required.
    Also note that in the worst case, installing x64 apss that are not compatible with ARM _CAN_ mess up your system. If you are not certain, but also as a general rool, take a Snapshot (from parallels menu) before any installation of software that could cause trouble - e.g. backup programs, but actually, it can be any program that will cause trouble. I never ran into serious isseus, but I did have to manually uninstall software because the installation failed and so did the uninstaller.
    The good news is that ARM is very much on the rise. Expect many ARM devices coming in the next 1-2 years, and with that, many software companies will make ARM compatible versions. I think we are just early in the game. ARM has superior battery, and excellent fanless design capabilities, and MS, to my knowledge, are also keen on promoting ARM.
    CAVEAT: This is just me writing what I believe I have gathered from reading about all of this, double-check before you base your decisions on any of this.....

8. JoelS9

JoelS9 Bit poster

I installed Parallels 18 Technical Preview 3 on June 8. Windows 11 opens, but it is completely unresponsive. I reported this to Parallels, and they asked me to try various things, but to no avail. On June 18 I sent them (at their request) a memory dump, and I was notified that the issue was forwarded to their Development Team. That's the last thing I have heard from Parallels! Meanwhile, I installed Tech. Preview 4, but still no help. I have sent several mails to Parallels, but haven't received any response. I have now been unable to use Windows 11 for 1.5 months, with no solution in the horizon. VERY disappointing!