Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aderium, May 30, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What is the difference between the regular build and the 'Nova Development' build?

2. sparker

sparker Member

Ubunto? I think you meant Ubuntu......

Steve

3. rft

rft Member

@John/Parallels: I now installed 5604, and I STILL HAVE A FLICKERING SCREEN RIGHT FROM THE START. Whatever you changed did not help anything concerning the severe flickering I get right from the first graphical boot screen (as described in my previous posts).

4. wkharris

wkharris Junior Member

Linsay -

I appreciate your comment here but I have to say that on my 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro and a 8-way 3Ghz MacPro this screen issue only started for me with 10.5.3. Since I have downloaded 5602 yesterday this issue seems to be resolved.

I use Parallels on and off throughout the day on both machines between 4 - 7 hours each day, and have found it far superior to VMware. Concerning updates and features I have found Parallels to be significantly more proactive and aggressive in their product then VMware. I too when Leopard came out - made the switch to VMware due to the problems that people were experiencing with Parallels.

IMHO - I would not be too quick to jump over to VMware - Yes the product is stable but on my two machines it was noticeably slower then Parallels in running both Windows XP and 32 bit Vista. Beyond having no where near the feature set of Parallels, anyone jumping should check out the performance of shared folders! This was the real deal breaker for me - Try having a shared folder within the VM that say points to your Mac Downloads folder. The first time you doubleclick to access the folder - I was seeing a good 5 - 8 sec lag before the folder would become avaialble within the VM. To be far - I have not gone back and tested this with the new release that EMC just posted. Just my two cents.

Well.... I'll get off my soapbox.... :)

5. biglar

biglar Pro

5604 has solved the flickering problem for me.

IMAC, Leopard 10.3, Parallels 5604. 2gb memory.

6. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

5604 seems to have fixed things

I downloaded v5604 and just let it install over v5600.
    I restarted my late 2006 17" MacBook Pro.
    I turned on parallels and turned on my boot camp XP Pro vm.
    It fired up the parallels tools installer and installed something but did not require a restart of the vm.
    My machine is working quite happily.
    Not a flicker to be found.

Knock on wood...

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is still 5602, please unmount 5602 dmg before running 5604 installer

8. John@Parallels

Please use kb http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790
    I am sure the build is still old

9. John@Parallels

Thanks, corrected

10. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

John,

Can you provide the proper sequence of steps to perform moving from 5584 to 5604, and whether Parallels has a recommendation for updating from OSX 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 before or after these steps are completed?

Appreciate your response

11. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

I did the following:

- Uninstalled 5600 (I NEVER install on top of an existing Parallels install. Bad things seem to happen to me when I do).

- Installed 5604

- Updated Parallels tools in each of my VM's.

So far it seems to work for me. No artifacts or anything.

12. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Fixed for me. 5604 did the job.

Old Marine. You may want to backup the VM to another drive as I do before doing anything. Just incase somthing goes wrong.
    Use the uninstall in the 5584 package to uninstall 5584. Unmount (by dragging to the trash) the 5584 package.

Restart.

Download and install 5604.

Open the VM in Parallels and install Parallels tools. (started automatically in my case)

That's it.

13. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

Lindsay

- thanks for that feedback - I run a daily backup of both my VM and OSX so I think I am good to go given the steps you outlined. Probably will wait to get the update to 5504 complete before updating to 10.5.3 as that seems to be a logical progression.

Glad to hear that 5504 has solved this problem.

14. rft

rft Member

I did exatly that. It did not help. I STILL HAVE SEVERE FLICKERING RIGHT FROM THE XP BOOTSCREEN. And btw. if you think, that these additional manual steps are necessary to ensure a clean upgrade, you should fix your installer/uninstaller to include these steps.

I now think that I have a differnet kind of flickering than a anumber of the others reported before. I have looked at youtube video, and my flickering looks much more severe: only the regions that are redrawn by the system appear shortly on the screen the rest remains black. If Parallels Tools is not installed, the mouse cursor is always redrawn when it moves, so I get a horizontal band that is as wide as the screen and as high as the mouse cursor that is visible. The rest of the screen is black.

15. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

so and what is about the german users? when can we expect 5604 for international users?

16. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

So if you go to Parallels Desk Top/About Parallels Desktop it shows Build 5604?
    Did you uninstall the previous version first?

In my case Parallels Tools tried install automatically when Windows was first opened.
    The only way Parallels Tools would have not been installed would have been if I cancelled it.

I had flashing and elements remaining on the screen but no "black" areas.

Are you having any screen issues in Mac OS? If not it sounds more related to Parallels.

17. Archibald

Archibald Bit poster

John,

How quickly will you support all the international users?

I'm working with the German Mac-Version of Parallels, Build 5584, so I cannot upgrade to 5604 English to get rid of the flickering.

The last German upgrade from 5582 to 5584 lasted ages, although Build 5582 had this major copy/paste and drag&drop bug.

Please provide International versions of 5604 asap. Your prodcut is an important productivity-tool "for the rest of us!"

Regards
    Archibald

18. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

i second that! you should think about getting rid of the parting between international and english users. If I'd have known this, I had ordered an english version of parallels....

19. rft

rft Member

Yes the severe flickering I see, definitely appears in build 5604.

As I said. I did exactly what was proscribed in the referenced article (full uninstall with additional manual removes, which actually were not necessary).

No screen issues in Mac OS X, so the screen flickering is definitely a bug in Parallels.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I've asked before and I ask again, what's the difference between the 2 downloads provided, one says ND (Nova Development), what does that mean? (and more importantly, does it make me a sammich while I slalom away from trojans and spyware in my Windows VM?)

EDIT: Nevermind, searched the forums for 'Nova Development' it's the retail box seller in the USA, so it must be just branding, and it won't make me a sammich... that's the saddest part.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008