Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Thank you , I need to collect information from more people, mean while you can provide
    following information:

* Parallels Desktop version and build: Parallels Desktop- -> About Parallels Desktop
    * an XML file with a copy of system profile: Applications --> Utilities --> System Profiler --> File --> Savea
    * Guest OS full version with SP included (if they are);
    * a copy of /home/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM name>/<GuestVM>.pvs
    * Archive of /Library/Parallels/bugreports/ (right click on folder --> Create Archive)
    or ~/Library/Parallels/bugreports/

* /Library/Logs/panic.log
    or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log from the Mac side;

2. allometry

allometry Bit poster

I have had no issues with the 5602 build and parallels tools. I have an increase in performance and correct video rendering.

Thanks for the release!

3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Tools in this new build (5602) behaves the same way as in the previous makeshift fix i.e. resolution works when xorg.conf is edited, but mouse scrolling still does not work, at least on my Mac.

4. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Just to clarify the above...I CAN scroll with the mouse, but not with the scrolling button on my Apple Mighty Mouse

5. bchapman

bchapman Bit poster

Experiences with 5602

Forum members,

While I am an Ubuntu user on other platforms, this is my first attempt to run it under Parallels.

I upgraded to 5602 and was able to install Hardy into the VM with no issues. I installed the Parallels tools and am now able to resize the desktop with no problems; I'm able to move in and out of the window without ctrl-alt. All done without editing xorg.conf. This is better than I expected, so thanks for this!

However, like the previous poster, no right button events or scrollwheel events seem to be recognized. As well, I cannot copy-paste from the Mac desktop (10.4.11) to the Hardy Heron desktop. Are these limitations standard?

My apologies if these are RTFM questions.

Ben

6. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

Hm, interesting to know. BUT non-English user still have to mess around with Built 5584 and still waiting for localized versions....

7. scottlf

scottlf Bit poster

Right-Mouse Problems

I upgraded to the latest build of Parallels (5604) and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 8.04. The Parallels Tools installation went off just fine.

However, right-mouse-button clicks don't register (I tried with several mice), nor does my scroll wheel work.

Cheers,
    Scott Foglesong

8. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

5604?? When was that released?

9. mfox

mfox Junior Member

I had the exact same result, right down to trying another mouse. I tried editing xorg.conf and making it like my Ubuntu Gutsy virtual machine, which doesn't have this mouse problem. It didn't give me back the right click or the scroll wheel. The good news is I discovered that the cmd key on the right side of the keyboard will bring up the contextual menu one normally gets with the right click.

Other than this problem, I'm pretty happy with version 5604. It fixed the flashing menus that happened after the 10.5.3 upgrade was applied and gave me my full screen on an openSuse 10.2 virtual machine.

10. John@Parallels

Bellow is copy of my post in thread http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21247

Hello all,

I will try to answer to all questions for past 2 days
    1. For whom it didn't help, please reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790
    We tested in every possible combination, and we are sure that flickering problem is resolved - and at last if problem is still there, please create ticket in support, with subject flickering - just give a call and ask assign to John @Parallels.
    I will be able to trace those tickets during weekend

2. About localized builds, we are doing very hard work to localize Parallels Desktop as soon as possible, I hope I will be able to provide some information in Monday

3. About hidden link - we are working to improve autoupdate, and again I hope, I will be able to answer in Monday about this

Please provide additional questions, if I missed something

11. zerxez

zerxez Bit poster

Hi newb here does Parallels run in Hardy or no?

We are setting up demonstration systems on Ubuntu computers. We chose Parallels because it works very well with the Macintosh systems we sell.
    We installed Parallels 2.2.2222 into the Ubuntu systems so that Windows can be shown to run in Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy and have failed miserably. Can we do this for our customers or should we drop Parallels sales in favor of Fusion or just charge an installation fee for Virtual Box?
    Many of our customers are business' that want to get away from Windows and want desktop systems that are either Macintosh or Linux based. We recommend Macintosh for customers willing to pay the price for the elegance of the Mac. We recommend Linux for those that are a bit more technically capable and want a less expensive solution. However there all always cases where a few machines need Windows capabilities. Parallels works very well for Mac...what you guys recommend for Ubuntu?

12. dullerm

dullerm Bit poster

Issues with Parallels Tools resolved

I managed to resolve the issues I described I'm having with this version of Parallels Tools (not being able to click, remaining dirty pixels etc.). I did a clean install of Ubuntu in a fresh VM and there I did not experience these problems. I then compared the two VMs a bit (my original Ubuntu VM grew at least from 7.04) and finally the only change I made was replacing the "old" xorg.conf with the one from the fresh install. This solved my issues also in the old VM.
    I can also change resolution of the VM on the fly (e.g., by changing between fullscreen and window mode).
    However, I also cannot rightclick or scroll. The rightclick (set to two fingers and working flawlessly in Mac OS, my Windows VM, and the Ubuntu VM without Parallels Tools) is mapped to a middleclick and scrolling just does not work.

13. John@Parallels

Build you are using is old
    Please use 2232

http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-2.2.2232-lin.tgz
    http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-2.2.2232-lin.i386.rpm
    http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-2.2.2232-lin.deb
    http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-Wst-2.2.2232-Win.exe

14. martinsbm

martinsbm Bit poster

Same as others - System Report

Removed Build 5600, and Installed Build 5602
    (reinstalled Parallels Desktop as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790)
    Mac OS 10.5.3
    2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Ubuntu Desktop V8.04, Kubuntu, Xubuntu
    - Installed Parallel Tools
    - Resize dispaly, full display working
    - Mouse scrolling does not work
    - Mouse Right-Click does not work

Flicker is gone, I think.

Parallels Tools in this version seems to fail if loaded on Ubuntu Desktop V6.06.

Thanks to John for continuing efforts.

15. martinsbm

martinsbm Bit poster

Sorry, mis-stated. Parallel Tools failed in Kubuntu.

kubuntu-kde4-8.04-desktop-i386.iso used to install.

16. John@Parallels

17. dullerm

dullerm Bit poster

Tested 5604: no improvement for right click and scrolling and erroneous behavior was recreated by reusing old xorg.conf-prl-backup. For details, see below:

- installed build 5604 over build 5602
    - reboot Mac OS
    - start Ubuntu 8.04 VM
    - installed Parallels Tools -> X server restarted
    - logged on again, tested mouse -> the old, erroneous behavior is back! (cannot click, artefacts left after dragging a selection rectangle on the desktop...)
    - verify after a reboot of the VM -> still same erroneous behavior

OK, so it must be the xorg.conf again... Indeed, it looks exactly the same that I replaced with the "new" one from the fresh Ubuntu VM, as described in my last post. Is it possible, that Parallels Tools installer creates the config file from xorg.conf.prl-backup if it is present? Because on my machine this file exists and is very old. Anyways, "fixed" xorg.conf again this way:

- shutdown gdm
    - remove xorg.conf.prl-backup
    - remove xorg.conf.failsafe, xorg.conf.failsafe.bak and other crap
    - remove xorg.conf (yes, I'm really pi**** by this nasty problem :))
    - sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (creates a blank xorg.conf as it is default with Ubuntu 8.04 now; most sections are empty)
    - install Parallels Tools again
    - restart gdm
    - resolution is only 800x600 but that can be fixed easily. Mouse now working again, however scrolling and right click (middle clicks instead) are still not working

18. John@Parallels

Please compare with mine:
    # X.org configuration file generated by Parallels Tools

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbVariant" "intl"
    Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
    EndSection

# Parallels mouse driver
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Parallels Mouse"
    Driver "prlmouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
    EndSection

# Parallels video driver
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Parallels Video"
    Driver "prlvideo"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

#Parallels monitor
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Parallels Monitor"
    VendorName "Parallels Inc."
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

#Parallels screen
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Parallels Screen"
    Device "Parallels Video"
    Monitor "Parallels Monitor"
    Option "NoMTRR"
    DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

# Server layout
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Parallels Screen"
    InputDevice "Parallels Mouse" "CorePointer"
    # Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection

19. mfox

mfox Junior Member

John: my mouse section in xorg.conf is the same as that listed in your last message. Does your mouse's right click and scroll wheel work, or is this something you are still attempting to fix this so it works with Ubuntu 8.04?

20. Frank STENGEL

Frank STENGEL Junior Member

Same thing here: xorg.conf is the same as John's however (using xev) the mouse's right button sends a button 2 (middle?) event and the scroll wheel does not work (xev detects a MotionNotify event, but that is perfectly normal...).

I tested with an optical USB mouse and a BT mouse. I did not use the Devices menu. That is the mice were shared between the Mac side and the parallels side. If I use the "Devices>USB>Apple Optical USB Mouse" menu item, the the mouse is totally unuseable (basically: no mouse)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.