Parallels Desktop and Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Xenos, Feb 6, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You only provided Mac description.
    Perhaps you will create ticket in support queue and provide information in ticket?

2. terror788

terror788 Bit poster

If you can tell me how to do that I would gladly get that to you. Anything to get this resolved!

3. terror788

terror788 Bit poster

John, to download build 5600 do I download the DMG (88MB) file or the transporter (15MB) file?

4. John@Parallels

5. camden21

camden21 Bit poster

Hi,

I have upgraded Parallels Desktop to build 6504 (including tools 6504), by the way recommended (permissions repair, console etc.), but I am still getting the same problems I described before. Simple games (solitaire, Minesweeper) don't work. File windows take up to 10 seconds to appear, perfomance information tools and new hardware detection don't work. (prompt to search internet for solutions bring 'no solution'). Desk top items such as clock etc. can't be found.

Problem reports and solutions gives the same compatibility issue between Vista and Parallels PCI Tool Device.

My DVD of Vista includes SP 1. Can it be installed without this service pack?

Also be wary of running the Leopard installer disc Boot Camp upgrade. I did this to Boot Camp and lost wireless conection for mouse and keyboard with Vista. No solution found on Apple Boot Camp forum? Any ideas??

6. camden21

camden21 Bit poster

Sorry, 5604!

7. John@Parallels

Perhaps it will be better to create ticket to support?

8. terror788

terror788 Bit poster

John, It worked... my Parallels works awesome now. I do keep coming up with a 'printer not connected' warning when I try to print something. Don't suppose you know how to fix that?

9. John@Parallels

Do you installed Parallels Tools?

Parallels Tools should install new drivers

It already has Service Pack in it

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  10. John@Parallels

How is printer connected, Shared Printer or USB?

11. camden21

camden21 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply,

I have upgraded to 5608. Tools installed after prompt on screen, after upgrade (same as 5604). Same problems as before. same error regarding PCI Tool Device incompatibility.

I have tried removing and reinstalling Parallels and Vista, (Vista is genuine, registered and activated), but get the same problems as before (very sluggish graphics, games (solitaire etc.), hardware upgrade tool and performance tool don't work and PCI Tool incompatibility).

I have a version of Parallels with XP, on another Mac, that works fine.

I would appreciate you help with this, as Vista is currently unuseable under Parallels, at the moment.

Incidentally, The solution to Bootcamp upgrade killing wireless mouse and keyboard appears to be that this upgrade cancels the bluetooth settings in Vista. So you need a USB mouse and keyboard to enter the Vista password and activate the bluetooth settings once again! Very frustrating!

12. John@Parallels

Can you please create ticket in support as I am going to ask you to provide me Vista logs, and this can reveal some information (not for public)?

13. terror788

terror788 Bit poster

John, I got it fixed. Printer is working, Parallels is working, it's Father's Day, the sun is shining, everythings great!! Thank you.

14. John@Parallels

You are always welcome! :)

15. camden21

camden21 Bit poster

Ticket created.

Thank you.

16. John@Parallels

Please send private message to me, with ticket number

17. camden21

camden21 Bit poster

Hi

I am having problems creating a ticket.

Trying to log in but get password error, request for password gives email address error!

What should I do?

18. John@Parallels

Please reply privately with order ID, key number number and email, I will contact sales and they provide you information

19. John@Parallels

Please check private messages

20. IanJS

IanJS Junior Member

How do I best fix the Vista SP1 mess?

Dear John,

Parallels made me happy until Vista SP1!

I could happily use Vista Home Premium on My MacBook pro since I bought it December - either in native mode booted up from Boot Camp or in Virtual mode via Parallels. Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago when I allowed Microsoft Auto Update to install Vista SP1 in the Parallels virtual machine. From then on I've had nothing but trouble and hours and hours of time wasting efforts to fix it.

The Vista SP1 within Parallels virtual machine crashed several times but eventually fixed itself, but it now runs VERY SLOWLY and takes several minutes to load.

The "Native" Boot Camp Vista SP1 has NEVER worked again. Boot Camp got broken and has been unfixable, despite dozens of attempts to fix it. This means I can no longer access certain peripherals such as my Netgear Network Storage drives which don't support Macs and won't work in the Parallels Vista VM.

I'm now preparing to install the Parallels 5608 build upgrade, and have considered cloning the pre SP1 Windows backup to the Vista Partition on my hard disk.

Question 1. Will build 5608 fix the problem and allow me to use Vista SP1 in Boot Camp and in the Parallels VM?

Question 2. Would you recommend I erase the Vista Partition and clone back the pre Vista SP1 version?

All I want is to return to the trouble free blissful days I had before Vista SP1. Any other advice?

Thanks, Ian

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008