Parallels Tools 4.0 install fails: Cannot install Shared Folders Driver

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ddolezal, Nov 24, 2008.

1. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

Please try this solution:

1) Please unzip the attachment to some place and start virtual machine.
    2) Right-click to the CD-ROM Icon on parallels VM window and choose "connect image". Select the unzipped prl_fs_drv.iso file. As well the image may be connected through VM configuration
    3) After Windows is booted, log on to it as Adminitstrator or some other user with Admin-rights, open the CD-Rom content (usually drive D:\ ; My Computer -> D:) and select install.bat. After that you should see several messages and invitation to reboot.
    4) Please reboot the VM and try to install Parallels Tools. This time it should work.
    5) install.bat should log all actions to the c:\temp\setup.log. If something will go wrong with the solution, please

forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=33055

Please inform us about the results.

2. Mike Minutella II

Mike Minutella II Bit poster

I migrated to a new MACBook Pro and purchased Parallels 4. I moved my VM to the new MACBook and let Parallels update the VM. When installing the tools I kept receiving the "failed to install parallels Shared Folders Driver" error. After a troubleshooting and performing manual uninstall/re-install I Googled my way to this thread.

The above fix worked , thank you

3. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

prl_fs_drv.iso didn't work here, still no way to install tools. I've tried everything else stated in this thread to no avail. I had left Parallels for VMWare, yet hoped to come back due to the better feature set, but still see Parallels is as unstable as it has always been. Why hasn't this been fixed before you went gold on P4 - the threads here on this issue are going back several months...

4. bitstomper

bitstomper Bit poster

still no internet

I have tried a few different things to connect the VM to the internet. Tried the patch and although Tools is installed (I think) I do not see it, not under the start menu/all programs, nor in the Tools folder. All I see there is: uninstall, ShellIntHook.dll, PTIAgent, prlhosttime, pr_cc and a few folders, but not a tools .exe file.
    And so although I did have internet before, it is dead now.
    This is my setup log file:

Call VMLSetPolicy()
    BackupDriverPolicy(1)
    RegQueryValueEx(POLICY_STR)...
    value [1] 00 00 00 00
    RegSetValueEx(SAVE_POLICY_STR)...
    RegSetValueEx(POLICY_STR) success
    RegOpenKeyEx(CU_POLICY_STR) failed, rc 0x2
    CU_POLICY_STR: SHOULD analyse ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
    Backup hash...
    Set: can use hash
    SetPolicyToIgnore(1)
    open(CURRENT_VERSION_SETUP_KEY)
    query(PRIVATE_HASH_STR)
    find()...
    make()...
    open(CURRENT_VERSION_SETUP_KEY)
    set(PRIVATE_HASH_STR)
    open(DRIVER_SIGNING_KEY)
    set(POLICY_STR)
    open(HKCU, DRIVER_SIGNING_KEY)
    not exist, ignoring
    Driver signing policy successfully changed to 'ignore'
    Trying to install 'prl_fs'...
    ...c:\tmp\drivers\prl_fs.inf was copied to C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem15.inf
    HrInstallNetComponent():...
    HrInstallNetComponent(): Install()...
    Apply():...
    ...done
    Action succeeded.
    Call VMLRestorePolicy()
    RestoreDriverPolicy(1)
    value [1] 00 ff ff ff
    LM_SIGNING_KEY restored
    RegOpenKeyEx(CU_SIGNING_KEY) failed, rc 0x2
    Restoring hash...
    Driver signing policy restored
    [SetupAPI Log]
    OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3, v.3264
    Platform ID = 2 (NT)
    Service Pack = 3.0
    Suite = 0x0100
    Product Type = 1
    Architecture = x86
    [2009/03/08 14:37:29 3484.1]
    #-198 Command line processed: c:\tmp\prl_net_inst.exe -InstallClient c:\tmp\drivers\prl_fs.inf prl_fs
    #E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\tmp\drivers\prl_fs_x86x.cat" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
    [2009/03/08 14:37:32 3484.25 Driver Install]
    #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): prl_fs
    #-198 Command line processed: c:\tmp\prl_net_inst.exe -InstallClient c:\tmp\drivers\prl_fs.inf prl_fs
    #I022 Found "prl_fs" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem15.inf; Device: "Parallels Shared Folders"; Driver: "Parallels Shared Folders"; Provider: "Parallels"; Mfg: "Parallels"; Section name: "DDInstall".
    #I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000000 to 0x0000c000.
    #I023 Actual install section: [DDInstall]. Rank: 0x0000c000. Effective driver date: 11/13/2008.
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\inf\INFCACHE.1".
    #I063 Selected driver installs from section [DDInstall] in "c:\windows\inf\oem15.inf".
    #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E973-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I060 Set selected driver.
    #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
    [2009/03/08 14:37:33 3484.27]
    #W334 Failed to verify catalog when scanning file queue. Error 1168: Element not found.
    #E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\windows\inf\oem15.inf" for driver "Network Client" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 1168: Element not found.
    #-024 Copying file "c:\tmp\drivers\i386\prl_fs.sys" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\prl_fs.sys".
    #E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\tmp\drivers\i386\prl_fs.sys" for driver "Network Client" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 1168: Element not found.
    #-336 Copying file "c:\tmp\drivers\i386\prl_np.dl3" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\prl_np.dll" via temporary file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET6.tmp".
    #E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\tmp\drivers\i386\prl_np.dl3" for driver "Network Client" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 1168: Element not found.
    [2009/03/08 14:37:33 3484.42]
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_PROPERTYCHANGE.
    #I292 Changing device properties of "ROOT\MS_PSCHEDMP\0004".
    #I306 DICS_START: Device has been started.
    [2009/03/08 14:37:33 3484.41]
    #I292 Changing device properties of "ROOT\MS_PSCHEDMP\0002".
    [2009/03/08 14:37:33 3484.39]
    #I292 Changing device properties of "ROOT\MS_PSCHEDMP\0000".
    [2009/03/08 14:37:33 3484.40]
    #I292 Changing device properties of "ROOT\MS_PSCHEDMP\0001".

Tried: sudo killall -hup pvsnatd

And I get: "no matching processes found"

I have had this problem before but do not remember how it got fixed.

5. imok

imok Junior Member

I had the same Shared Folders failure issues after i Uninstalled Tools because Coherent was not working when I upgraded to XP SP3 and could could not reinstall them. After a few frustrating hours I finally located this fix.

You should put this in KB to make it easier to find. Also, I could not find a way to email a support ticket request. I logged in to my account but there is no link to open a ticket.

Thanks

6. Michael Bowlus

Michael Bowlus Bit poster

Hi. I'm encountering the same problem when I try to install Parallels Tools. I'm running the latest versions of XP Pro, Parallels 4, and Mac OS X Leopard. Windows is installed on a Boot Camp partition.

I tried the fix suggested at the top of this page to no avail. The Parallels Tools install still ends with an error message, "rolls back" the action, and forces me to restart.

My setup.log can be accessed here:

http://sdcc17.ucsd.edu/~mbowlus/setup.log

Thanks in advance for any tips!

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Please try to remove the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1
    To do so, please click start -> cmd.exe and type in the appeared window "del C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1" (without quotes)

Warning! This is Windows XP only solution. This should never be done on any other system (like Vista)

8. joehhh

joehhh Bit poster

Failed to Install Parallels Shared Folder Driver

Hi,

First, copy and paste wasn't working (in either direction Mac<==>Windows). So I found "reinstall parallels tools will solve that". So i tried that. However, now during the install process I get "Failed to Install Parallels Shared Folder Driver" then the whole thing rolls back.

Now, my Windows is royally messed up
    -- small screen
    -- super-fast mouse
    -- no shared folders
    -- etc

My system:
    -- mac osx 10.5.7
    -- parallels 4.0 for Mac, v 4.0.3844
    -- windows xp 2002 sp3

I'm not happy about this. Please help.

Joe

p.s. this is step 1 in my eval to see if my other 30+macs in my org should use this. whew, not a good start.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    try the solution in the message above (posting #47, http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=369075&postcount=47 )

Most likely it is due to corrupted Windows-file.. It is a rare condition.

10. joehhh

joehhh Bit poster

This worked!

Deleting the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1 worked perfectly to address the shared folder error when installing Parallels Tools on WinXP -- THANK YOU.

Dear Parallels: please add this to your instructions....or, better yet: add it to your parallels tools install script. Either way, save your customers time and hassle (== $$)

11. AMITABHS

AMITABHS Bit poster

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to find any attachment... can someone help me out here?

TIA

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

if it was a support-request, most likely the attachment was lost somehow. The same attachment is here: (post #4 of http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=33055 ) -
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=142852&postcount=4

But this solution was outdated few time ago and it is slightly more generic just delete the infcache.1 -

13. AMITABHS

AMITABHS Bit poster

thanks very much for your help i found the attachment and used it and it worked like a charm! thanks again!

14. xsportdfence

xsportdfence Bit poster

Elric:

I am having this same problem - it is with reinstalling the tools. It fails to install the Parallels Shared Drive folder. My ticket number is: 792335. Can you help me?

15. Steve Marcotte

Steve Marcotte Bit poster

This solution for shared folders problem worked for me

After dismal response from Parallels support I did more searching on my own and found this solution. It worked perfectly for me.

Note that the instructions say to 'select install.bat' but I think they mean 'open (double click) install.bat'.

16. TimothyB

TimothyB Bit poster

I am running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 32-bit in Bootcamp on a Mac Pro. I just installed Parallels 5.0 build 9220. I have been attempting to install Parallels Tools in my "My Boot Camp". It fails when I get to the Shared Folder Driver install and then it rolls back. I have attempted some of the remedies listed above to no avail. Since this is a new version I'm not sure they apply.

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

We'd appreciate if you could post a problem report. To do so, please click menu of Parallels Destkop "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

18. TimothyB

TimothyB Bit poster

I have just submitted the problem report. It's id is 768707.

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hello Timothy,

indeed, you have reported a bug. Just after your report we have found the problematic place in code.

Am I right that you are upgrading the VM from Parallels Desktop 4.0 to 5.0 ? If it is so, please uninstall Parallels Tools using Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall Program.

Then reboot the VM and try to install it again.

Let us know if this won't help.

20. TimothyB

TimothyB Bit poster

My install is clean not an upgrade, both the host and Boot Camp "guest" are fresh.