Windows will not pop to the front or top on a mouse click in Parallels Desktop 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CristianL, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Peter Barnes

Peter Barnes Member

OK- I upgraded to PD9 and my Windows "windows don't pop to the front" problem is fixed. I am running PD9 on Mac 10.8.5 with Win 7 Outlook 2010. I encourage you to pass this info on.

2. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Give it time and the problem will return. I'm running the same configuration and although it doesn't happen as much, it will still happen.

3. Nrasser

Nrasser Junior Member

~RIP Coherence~

My two newer Macbooks are now useless in Coherence mode with any guest OS, making my favorite reason to use Parallels now a non-reason. I cannot downgrade the host OS on these machines due to other requirements so I've been (reluctantly) testing VMWare Fusion and well, it's definitely not as nice/polished IMO, but it works where Parallels doesn't. I'm still holding out in hopes they'll come up with a fix but with months of time in and three PD versions now affected by the same bug (PD9 does NOT fix this problem btw) it's not looking good. I can't buy any more Parallels upgrades until I hear that this issue is well and truly fixed.

I do feel bad about this because the good developers at Parallels got me hooked on the whole Coherence thing in the first place and I have had years of great running with excellent, highly dependable operation of guest OS machines under Parallels, but the Coherence feature has become a vital part of my productivity toolchain as a firmware engineer (on average, 10-15 windows open at any given time, about 3/4ths of them on the guest OS). I'd do my career a disservice by not trying to find a workaround for this problem.

4. Peter Barnes

Peter Barnes Member

Yes, I agree Nrasser. The problem came back and it is slowly but surely getting more frequent. Big headache for me, especially in Outlook/Office with several emails/windows open. It seems to click through the window "in front" and clicks button on the window "in back". Very annoying. Must be fixed!

Anyone have experience with Mavericks??

Mac OS 10.8.5 Host
    Win 7

5. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

It is still a problem under Mavericks, and personally I've given up on it being fixed. If they ever do fix it, great!

Instead, I've adjusted my working environment to utilize the improved full screen feature of Mavericks for most of my apps. Each app has its own full screen space, including the Parallels VM.
    Full screen mode in 10.8 sucked so I never used it and really needed Coherence mode. Now that each of my monitors have individual full screen controls, it is a great environment.

6. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

Parallels 10 doesn't fix this

This is STILL a problem on Parallels 10. :mad:

7. GWitek

GWitek Bit poster

Yup! It's a damn nightmare! Three times this year, I have permanently contaminated a document without realizing it and scores of times, ruined my work from typing in the wrong window. It is dangerous and crazy they will not put more resources on it. I myself have maybe 20 hours feeding Parallels Support information - on several different tickets. The answer is always the same - after hours of helping, "That is now in engineering, your ticket is closed". It's pure BS. If they were not the only game in town (for what we need) we'd bail in an instant. However, on balance, it is the best tool for the job - albeit with a few bugs they chronically will not / cannot fix.

8. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

Yeah, it's definitely the lesser of all the evils when it comes to coherence mode. I've tried vmware and virutal box and the coherence mode experience is even worse. They probably realize that this issue isn't going to make anyone switch to a competitor because the competitors are worse.

9. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

The Coherence mode has got a lot of improvements and fixes for PD10.
    The fix for this particular issue, which I believe can be described as 'accidental permanent window z-order screwup' has been fixed internally and should be included into future PD10 update.
    Sorry it took so long.

Please elaborate on other Coherence mode issues you've experienced in PD10.

10. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

Yeah, I should give credit where credit is due. Windows GDI+ perf in coherence mode (Esp when running Visual Studio + R#) was terrible in certain scenarios (Like GDI+ heavy tooltips). Everything would lock for about 10-15 seconds while Parallels was trying to emulate the calls (On an i7 2.2Ghz/16Gb). This still happens but the delay is down to 1-3 seconds. Still sucks but significantly faster.

Thanks for the update Stanislav, thats great news!

If you want to load test coherence mode perf, run Visual Studio + R# and code in C#. This will trigger all sorts of GDI+ calls and pretty much sums up all my issues with coherence mode in PD10. Also, reach out to the JetBrains devs about it. They are aware of the problem (And have acknowledged it: https://twitter.com/controlflow/status/426804066266513409) and would probably be more than willing to give you feedback on exactly what they are doing.

11. whfrank

whfrank Bit poster

in PD 10, for the last week, in coherence mode, overlapping Windows 8 windows just don't pop to the front on click. Same issue in PD9, and now it is also in PD10, was really hoping that the upgrade would fix the issues.

12. esyy22

esyy22 Bit poster

Any chance you have an estimate on when the update will come out? This behavior is driving me crazy. If you need a pre-release tester, sign me up. :)

13. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

I installed the latest update yesterday (10.0.2.27712) and have not seen this problem so far. Knock on wood.

14. esyy22

esyy22 Bit poster

I do have the latest, and agree that it's better with that particular problem. I've still seen it a couple of times, just not as frequent. Also now seeing a problem where the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't scroll up/down in certain Windows applications after this release (e.g. Excel 2013).

15. whfrank

whfrank Bit poster

I also installed the latest update, it is better, but still seeing it happening few times through out the day.

16. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

The fix should be included into next PD10 update.

17. whfrank

whfrank Bit poster

Thanks for the update! When is the ETA for the next PD10 update?

18. SeanFarmar

SeanFarmar Bit poster

+1 Have the same problem

19. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

Blarg! Now I'm getting it again. Was ok for about a week after this last update.

20. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

This issue should be completely resolved with Parallels Desktop 10.1 update. Please continue to provide your feedback, it's important for us.