Can't Reserve Win10 - Parallels Display Driver Critical Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelS4, Jun 3, 2015.

1. nicwilson

nicwilson Junior Member

To re-run the appraiser, in an elevated command prompt run the following then wait:

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

bad news is even after the updates and it showing it was last run today, the error remains.

2. IanM1

IanM1 Bit poster

Hi folks,
    I have been able to reserver my W10 for my W7 SP1. Currently running OSX 10.11 beta, Parallels 10.2.2 v29105. I received the same WDDM error.

Also logged a request for support.

Ian M

Bad news, after the latest update from MS my w10 update has vanished.

Update from Parallels from my request fro assistance.

Hello IanM1,
    Parallels Engineering team is working with Microsoft to provide detailed upgrade instructions for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 virtual machines to Windows 10. We will update our knowledge base article, http://kb.parallels.com/123053 once we have any solution for Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) issue.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  3. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hello IanM1,
    Parallels Engineering team is working with Microsoft to provide detailed upgrade instructions for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 virtual machines to Windows 10. We will update our knowledge base article, http://kb.parallels.com/123053 once we have any solution for Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) issue.

JorgL likes this.
  4. LincolnB1

LincolnB1 Bit poster

Dhruba,
    For weeks now, every time I logged into Windows 7 and checked Windows Update, the message displayed saying that my copy of the Windows 10 upgrade had been reserved. Today -- the day that Microsoft started to roll Windows 10 out -- I suddenly got the same message as everyone else who is posting on this forum thread: "Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC" because "the display manufacturer" of "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)" "hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10".

Dhruba, frankly it is not good enough to say that "Parallels Engineering team is working with Microsoft to provide detailed upgrade instructions". Parallels needs to put more resources into solving this issue NOW. If Parallels Desktop for Mac users lose their free upgrade to Windows 10 because Parallels did not make the display adapter compatible with Windows 10 earlier, I can guarantee that those users are going to be angry at Parallels.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    ThomasL3 likes this.
  5. nicwilson

nicwilson Junior Member

If you check their knowledge base this issue was posted more than a month ago, how long does it take to update the driver or add it to MS list?

LincolnB1 and JorgL like this.
  6. MichaelW5

MichaelW5 Bit poster

I have the same problem (report ID: 70512799) and I have to say that it is really frustrating. The thread that should provide further useful information about the issue is absolutely useless by now and I can just hope that the Parallels support will find a solution fast.

7. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Hi Dhruba,
    Can you explain why the technical preview was no problem at all, and Windows 10 is a problem?
    Upgrading instructions? Is Parallels forgeting we are paying customers and they have to do the job by sending an update ?
    Thank you for your answer in advance.

8. Darren_Coleman

Darren_Coleman Junior Member

I made the mistake (?) of rebooting after getting the initial "Unfortunately your PC is not compatible with Windows 10" because of the whole Parallels WDDM issue, before I saw this thread. Now my W10 icon has disappeared completely and doesn't appear on boot. Is there any way to get it back or restart the whole process?

9. MilesTEG

MilesTEG Member

10. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Happened to me as well, for the time being Windows 10 is not available for us.

11. NicoG1

NicoG1 Bit poster

YES, that's the right way and it works fine ;-)
    (I do this in the morning and get an good working Win 10 Pro x64)
    Sorry, want to post this way earlier, but have an meeting where I present a new website (now in the final Edge Browser too) :-D

12. HakanN

HakanN Bit poster

13. DanielK4

DanielK4 Bit poster

I successfully installed Windows 10 in my Parallels 9 VM, including Parallels Tools. All this was done via legitimate means:

1) Make sure you've previously managed to reserve an upgrade.
    2) Uninstall Parallels Tools from your Windows 7/8/8.1 VM.
    3) On your Mac, visit the Microsoft Windows 10 ISO download page and download the edition for you.
    4) Once downloaded, mount the ISO in your Windows VM using the standard means (Devices > CD/DVD > Connect Image in Parallels 9).
    5) Launch setup from the mounted image and follow the instructions to upgrade to Windows 10. DO NOT PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALLATION OTHERWISE YOU'LL LOSE YOUR FREE UPGRADE.
    6) Windows will upgrade itself to Windows 10.
    7) Follow through the setup steps at the end. Once you're back to the desktop, you should find Windows 10 is activated.
    8) Follow the "Scenario 2: More Complicated" steps on the Parallels Tools manual installation to get Parallels Tools reinstalled.

Note that on Parallels 9 at least, shared folders (\\psf in Windows) doesn't appear to work. Coherence is a bit janky too. Everything else works fine.

14. MilesTEG

MilesTEG Member

What key did you use ? Because I must enter a license Key before the installation begins...
    (I launched from windows the setup.exe from the root of the iso mounted in explorer)

15. HakanN

HakanN Bit poster

Yo have to open the page in Windows, then you can download the "MediaCreationToolX64.exe" and when you lauch it you get and option to "Upgrade this computer now" or "Create install media" select "Upgrade this computer now".
    If you open the page in Safari you just get and iso download link.

/Håkan

16. NicoG1

NicoG1 Bit poster

Don't need a Key?!? I mounted the iso in the win8.1, start the setup.... after all and seconds befor my meetings starts i check quick the activation and there is all ok.
    (only microsoft want a security code for my microsoft account)

17. AL_

AL_ Bit poster

That won't happen. The upgrade offer is available ONE YEAR after launch. So even the most hesitant upgraders will have plenty of time for it.

Presumably Parallels 11, which - if the yearly update cycle is constant - is due in August is supposed to support Windows 10 and even bring Cortana to the Mac.

18. MilesTEG

MilesTEG Member

Look what I get with the ISO file Single French language X64 :
    Capture d'écran 2015-07-29 à 12.06.24.png
    I have to enter a licence key... I don't have any choice of upgrading or not... It just go to this after choosing to download or not the last updates.
    I'll have to try this... But the connection I'm on is limited... I'll do this WE.

19. ThomasL3

ThomasL3 Bit poster

I find it utterly inconceivable that this hasn't been resolved!

20. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Actually a strange story indeed after an okay reservation for a month.