Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BillH3, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

2. NigelB3

NigelB3 Bit poster

Hi, I have the same issue. I have tried all the fixes suggested above, but nothing works. I have even, in desperation installed a trial version of 12 (moving from 10).
    I am seriously on the verge of sacking Parallels and buying a cheap PC. I am sick of paying for upgrade I don'r need and when they don'y work it make me even more cross

3. Please send us the screenshot of your Task Manager from the Windows side?
    We will be glad to help you with the issue resolution.

4. NigelB3

NigelB3 Bit poster

You guys have taken far too long to reply to my enquiry, this is not really any kind of support. I had to become my own tech support. I sorted it myself because of the lack of response. I reinstalled everything, window, parallels, tools etc, including the latest version of Parallels (which I didn't want to do). I will pay for this upgrade but will be buying a windows machine for when I need it.

5. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

For your future reference, Parallels offers a variety of options to reach support, including Twitter, Facebook, Forum, phone, email, and chat click here.

6. MikJ

MikJ Bit poster

Hi, i've had the same problem - I have just unlinked the mac and reinstalled the Toolbox as advised. The Security tab inside the Parallels configuration did not have an option to uncheck the unlink checkbox. I started up Windows 10 and it is now telling me that my Activation code is now invalid. I have just raised this with Microsoft support and they told me it is a Parallels issue. Can you please assist? Thanks

7. MikJ

MikJ Bit poster

Ok, now i have managed to uncheck the box, and the full version of Win 10 has opened up. Unfortunately it still has the error message:
    Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop

8. Hi, as I understand you've already reinstall Parallels Tools, right?

9. MikJ

MikJ Bit poster

Hi Maria
    Actually I have just reinstalled Tools and it is working perfectly. Not quite sure what went wrong there, but all fixed now .
    Thanks

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Glad you are able to fix the issue by reinstalling Parallels Tools. It might occurred because of incorrect MacOS Desktop folder synchronization settings.

11. LucimeireV

LucimeireV Bit poster

Thanks! This worked for me. But I used keyboard and mouse. So it's necessary not only to updated Parallels from Mac, but also within Windows 10.

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are happy to hear that you have resolved the issue. Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

13. HannahS

HannahS Bit poster

Hi there, I'm having the same issue and when I reinstalled and then restarted my Mac machine - I tried accessing my Windows 10 and now I can't. It won't let me access or click on the Start menu or ANY icons, functions. I'm slightly panicking and hoping you can give me quick feedback because I need to access my Visual Studio for a project due Monday.

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you to reinstall Parallels Tools which will resolve the issue. You can also refer to this article.

15. Linolil

Linolil Member

I ran into the same problem, with following symptoms.
    • Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop error
    • Needed to use CNTR/ALT to move cursor away from windows
    I did the following;
    • Reinstalled tools on the Win10, no help.
    • Reinstalled tools on Mac, no help.
    • Reinstalled tools on Win10, finally worked.
    The referenced instructions need updated to match our current environment. The biggest errors being in Terminal window screenshot. I would suggest rewriting it from scratch to make sure you catch everything. It added a lot of confusion and a couple of hours to my repair exercise.
    • /Users/Parallels/ does not exist on my machine
    • /Users/-myname-/ contains a Parallels directory and a "Applications (Parallels)" directory, but no Desktop link pointing to anything.
    The real question is;
    • Why the heck did this happen in the first place?
    I used the desktop to run quicken on Thursday. Allow Windows to install some updates that evening was broken Friday morning.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Linolil, please be informed that the update for Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.2.1 (41615) addresses this issue. Parallels strongly recommend keeping your copy of Parallels Desktop up-to-date. To download the latest update go to Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates

17. Linolil

Linolil Member

Hate to pop your bubble, but I was running Parallels 12.2.1 when this started. I ran "check for updates" multiple times during this exercise. Also, that would not change the fact that the documentation is way out of date.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Linolil, the error Windows cannot access \\Mac\home\desktop error occurred at the Windows start up or when you are trying to open shared files?
    CTRL+ALT is the default shortcut for Release Input in Parallels Desktop. It has been secured for this function in order to avoid confusion.

19. Linolil

Linolil Member

I was trying to run an application that opened shared files -- i.e. Quicken
    I then tried to follow some instructions on updating the parallels tools.
    I only mentioned CNT/ALT to demonstration that the tools were missing, as normally I do not need to use that short cut to leave the Windows context.

20. FELIXW2

FELIXW2 Bit poster

I was happily running latest built of version 12.2.1 whit all connections to my mac folders when I made the mistake to press update to Version 13 by accident. (Unsing latest Version of Windows 10)
    In Version 13 I was not anymore able to connect to my folder and got \\Mac\home\d... error. All de and reinstalling parallel tools.
    Also to go back on Version 12.2.1 does not solve anything. I can remember in an earlier Version there was ne same trouble costs me hours.
    Now I am already spending 5 hours and not finding a solution. The update to V 13 costs a lot of money and only troubles.
    Support PLEASE help !!!