Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DellW, Aug 27, 2018.

1. DellW

DellW Bit poster

Hi y'all

I've upgraded to Parallels 14 and ensured that Parallels Tools has updated in my Windows 10 guest VM. Ever since the upgrade, I'm experiencing severe performance problems in my windows 10 VM such that it is essentially unusable. The CPU usage is spiking to 100%, but by the time I'm able to bring up the Task Manager, it goes back to normal. However, almost nothing in IE is useable. Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem?

Thanks
    Dell
    Madison, AL

Parallels User likes this.
  2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @DellW, can you please send us a technical report collected when you notice high CPU usage, via Windows 10 menu bar > Help > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here, I will take a look.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you very much, @MarkB24, but please we need a report while the VM is working and experiencing the issue, so required performance counters for CPU will be collected. In your report VM is stopped, plus you have two Win10 VMs, not sure which one has this issue. Or do they both have?

5. RolandW1

RolandW1 Bit poster

Hi, I have very similar problems, and it started right after the upgrade to 14. I can start the Win10 VM but logging on takes minutes now, sometimes it does not work at all and I have to trigger a hard VM stop. When the VM is finally up and running, the CPU load on my MacBook Pro (2016, 2.7GHz I7, 16GB) goes over 100%, and many apps freeze, including the native macOS apps. Wish I could go back to pre14. Any idea how to fix these problems? Happy to provide all data needed to get this done. Regards, Roland

6. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @RolandW1, let's start from collecting technical data report when CPU usage is high. Go to Help menu > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here, I will take a look. Thank you.

7. GuilhermeT

GuilhermeT Bit poster

Hello, I'm going through the exact same problema. Just sent technical data: Report id 273343814
    The situation is unsustainable, can we rollback to version 13 until the issue is resolved?

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @GuilhermeT, thank you for the report. CPU usage spikes are directly related to Windows programs using CPU. Parallels Desktop itself does not use CPU nearly at all.
    So, before upgrading to PD14 you had no CPU spikes at all? How frequent they are now?

9. GuilhermeT

GuilhermeT Bit poster

Hi,

Yes, they happened, but only when there was actually something running that was CPU intensive, and It would not freeze the machine, just make things slower. Now, it happens even when I ctrl+tab to change application, and it freezes the hole system making it unusable.

att,

10. AFC

AFC Bit poster

Also upgraded to v14, CPU running constantly >150% and internet speed dropped from >800 mb/s to <2mb/s. On the mac side speed still normal. something seems to be running in a massive loop.

11. RolandW1

RolandW1 Bit poster

ok, will work with my VM until I have experienced some time of performance problems, and will collect technical data then.

12. WhoducenF

WhoducenF Bit poster

Thanks, i just missed that point of upgrading now I will do the same. Cheers!

13. AshtonM1

AshtonM1 Junior Member

I am in the same boat. I use a Windows 10 vm for work. After upgrading, the same programs are logging almost 100% CPU usage when this wasn't the case before upgrading to v14. I can tell without a doubt the upgrade made this change. Even clicking on a button within firefox is delayed a few seconds, or typing takes a while to catch up. I created my own thread and uploaded my logs, although CPU usage was fine at the time of the log capture. Hoping this can be narrowed down as it totally seems like an issue with something running in Parallels. I thought it was the display memory not being adequate.

273081265 is my technical report #. Coherence mode seems to be getting more delayed now as well.

14. RolandW1

RolandW1 Bit poster

273949078 is the report ID.

15. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

16. OliverS9

OliverS9 Bit poster

Hello all,

same here, but even scarier... it slows down and after a couple of minutes crashes my whole Mac and I get a black screen of death. Now that I downgraded to v13 everything is fine again.

Best regards,
    Oliver

17. GuilhermeT

GuilhermeT Bit poster

How did you downgrade? I didn't know It was supported by Parallels.

18. OliverS9

OliverS9 Bit poster

19. GuilhermeT

GuilhermeT Bit poster

For those having performance problemas with v14, I just followed this KB (https://kb.parallels.com/en/8913) and rolled back to v13. Will wait a few months before upgrading again.

20. AshtonM1

AshtonM1 Junior Member

I downgraded this morning to Parallels 13 and immediately saw improvement in the clicking functionality (delayed click is gone) and speed improvements in my VM.