Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DellW, Aug 27, 2018.

1. HughT1

HughT1 Bit poster

Anyone willing to pay to find out?

2. IgorP2

IgorP2 Junior Member

It is more or less the same experience on PD15.

3. MichaelL49

MichaelL49 Bit poster

I still have the same problems with 15 as i did 14. Using the Parallels hypervisor causes my vm to be un useable due to processor and resource use age. Really want to take advantage of the parallels hypervisor, but guessing thats not on their radar right now.

4. GrantT2

GrantT2 Junior Member

Did you find any value in P15?

5. nanooq

nanooq Member

See my posting to your question in the Installations Forum. Tried the Trial Version.
    Long story short: same, same - no change. Waste of time and money and leads to more anger. Don't ! Better use it on another solution or wait until they are able to fix it.

6. IgorP2

IgorP2 Junior Member

Well it looks exactly the same as PD14. But I have read there are a lot of changes under the hood.
    For me performance was a feature so i am little bit upset that 100% CPU consuming was not fixed. I have to choose Apple hypervisor in order to get Windows running and performance is far far away from where it used to be with Parallels hypervisor.

7. FiffenF

FiffenF Bit poster

Well actually to me it seams the performance of PD15 is worse compared to PD14. Just upgraded now. When starting Windows 10 the spinning balls is really jerky. And now sometimes I hear cracking sounds when inside Windows 10. Previously I only heard that when trying to run the android emulator inside Windows, using nested virtualisation. Only tested with Parallels hypervisor so far. Not happy.

8. Jean-MarcG1

Jean-MarcG1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I face severe performance issues too, with Windows 10 VM only, while having no problems with Windows 7 VM.
    But my problems seems to be different from other guys, as my Windows VM boots almost correctly (far slower than W7 but about 2mn which is acceptable).
    I face problems with graphical elements, and the gui. It's painfully slow, lists display line after line...
    I downgraded to Parallels 13, and things are far better, even if, on some sides, Parallels 14 was faster. Lists now display far quicker, and I can use VisualStudio 2017 again.
    I noticed that it seems to be related to Parallels Tools, as I really saw the difference after installing it and rebooting.
    My config : MacbookPro 2010, MacOSX 10.13.6, 8GB ram, 512GB Samsung 850 pro SSD.

9. GregB7

GregB7 Bit poster

I've been having boot-up and runtime issues in PD14 (and now 15) since I started using it about a month ago. Very similar issues to what you've all expressed, and very disheartened to see that this discussion has been going for a while with no satisfactory response or resolution on the way from Parallels.

This morning, like usual, I tried to start the VM, it froze, so I reset it and it loaded up to the log-in screen (after doing a very quick disk check) in almost no time, then I've spent the last 10+ minutes waiting for Windows to actually load. I'm actually still waiting for everything to load, while the CPU in the VM dances around from 75-99%.

I'm terrified of every rebooting my machine (though I do regularly, at least once a week) because of the long and unpredictable delays I have to undertake in order to actually get Windows up and running again. If anyone at Parallels is listening, please fix whatever these issues are. I'm happy to send logs or anything else to help diagnose.

Mac Mini 2018, OS X 10.14.6, 32GB RAM, 256GB Apple SSD, running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit

10. ToddG3

ToddG3 Bit poster

My original comments are back on page 4. The solution that ended up working for me was deleting my VM and reinstalling Win10 VM from scratch. After doing that, everything runs great. Not sure what is being carried forward that breaks v14, but a clean VM install seems to fix the sluggishness. At least it did for me.

11. nanooq

nanooq Member

That was one of my thoughts as well and I was ready to abandon my Windows 10 VM though it would have meant a lot of work for me to get back to where I were. But since I've lost faith in the Parallels Desktop V.14+ I first installed a new vanilla Windows 10 VM on the PD. Result: same slow boot process, only a little gain of a couple of seconds compared to my Windows 10 VM that I use for some time now. So installing from scratch would still leave me with a PD that is FAR AWAY from previous performances. I won't buy a new version and report my experiences with V.14/V.15 whenever and wherever I get the chance so others do not do the same mistake.