Still over 100% CPU Usage . . . HELP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnH36, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JohnH36

JohnH36 Junior Member

There is ONE business application that I need to use Windows for - that is the reason I bought and installed Parallels and Windows 10 on my Mac. I had a 2016 12" MacBook Pro, and Parallels and Windows was devouring resources and running fans on high, so I upgraded hoping to stop this . . .
    Current configuration:
    New 16" MacBook Pro Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.3
    2.3 Ghz 8 core i9
    32GB Memory
    2TB HD

Parallels Configuration options - upgraded to parallels 15.1.2
    Processor allowance - 2 as per recommendation (although I had it set to 4 with no difference)
    16 GB of Memory allocated within recommendation
    Graphics memory is set to auto

The posting on the website says this could be caused by an "underpowered machine" and I thought perhaps that was the case, so therefore the new Mac, that by any stretch of the imagination is far from underpowered. So what else can I do?

Processor usage is still over 100% (between 105 and 150 percent) every time I boot up parallels and windows according to activity monitor, and fans rev up immediately to start cooling the processor.

RamanaB likes this.
  2. Hi JohnH36. Please select the check box for Parallels Desktop under Accessibility and Full Disk Access in Mac system preference -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy. Then restart Parallels Desktop and the Windows virtual machine and check for the issue.

3. JohnH36

JohnH36 Junior Member

That option was already in place, checked and selected.

4. Do you have the CPU issue only when your business app is running?
    Did you see a slow Windows startup maybe?

5. JohnH36

JohnH36 Junior Member

No, this issue is whenever Windows is running - even if there are no apps running. I also tried it with just Excel running - same issues. The only time the fans go off and the CPU percentage goes down is when Windows pauses in the background. You can see from the screenshot of activity monitor that even without any application running, Windows is over 100% of CPU.

Attached Files:

6. While the CPU % goes high on the Mac side, please share the screenshot of the Windows Activity Monitor to check the details.

7. GeorgeG10

GeorgeG10 Bit poster

Same here...
    prl_disp_service consumes >100%, while windows are completely idle & total windows CPU consumption is <20%.
    This has been happening since I installed Version 15.
    Kicks the fans all the time, consumes my battery.

Attached Files:

8. GeorgeG10

GeorgeG10 Bit poster

Attaching also windows side.

Attached Files:

9. Could you please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

10. GeorgeG10

GeorgeG10 Bit poster

ID: 337198400

11. GeorgeG10

GeorgeG10 Bit poster

Hi @Maria@Parallels any news about this?

12. fast-tl

fast-tl Bit poster

I too still have this issue after several support calls. Is there an update?

13. Hello, we've checked your tickets and would like to inform you that the issue still under investigation of the Parallels Engineering team.

14. Guys, do you have any snapshots?

15. SamH7

SamH7 Bit poster

I'm also having this same issue with Parallels 15, W10 VM. is there going to be a fix? Otherwise I'll have to find an alternative solution

16. JorgeP4

JorgeP4 Bit poster

I'm also having the same issue with Parallels 15, w10

17. SamH7

SamH7 Bit poster

Is there any update on this?

18. JoeyC

JoeyC Bit poster

19. Guys, if you get the same issue, could you please collect a tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?
    Also please let us know do you have any snapshots?

20. PilarZ1

PilarZ1 Bit poster

Same problem. Parallels 15 + Windows 10. Often CPU over 100% (up to 130%). Fans work non stop and MacBook pro gets very hot.