Parallels 15 sometimes freezes host system, sometimes won't start on mojave

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RossK2, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Marty6

Marty6 Bit poster

Same problem, been using parallels since V9. Ever since upgrading to 15 it crashes, usually every couple of days, most often on Chrome or Outlook, most recently with word. When I try to restart Parallels it freezes the Mac OS.
    I have to restart the mac several time and wait 5 or so minutes for windows to sort itself out. I tried downloading to v14 and its ok but does not integrate well with the new versions.
    If this is not fixed soon, I am going back to bootcamp and removing parallels. This has wasted far too much of my time.

2. If you decide to investigate this issue, please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Thanks in advance.

3. RogerS5

RogerS5 Bit poster

Just sent my technical report # 335593968 about this same issue. In this situations, I observed over 100% processor use by "Windows 10" and "Windows Server" in the Ressource Monitor. I also added a sample from the ressource monitor.

Attached Files:

4. RogerS5

RogerS5 Bit poster

Sending a new sample of code after I started parallels everything jammed again. You should look into it seriously since it may take a long time before it gets back to normal. Lots of time lost here... Processor was at 196% for a long while.

Attached Files:

5. ooswald

ooswald Bit poster

It was such a pain to use parallels, with all the issues described in these posts, and parallels not giving a shit about it, that i switched to a windows notebook and won't extend my parallels licences. In all these years, parallels was always a bumpy ride and it started to go down the drain when they came up with launching a new major release each year instead of fixing the underlying issues once and forever. Sorry parallels, but you did put revenue before your users, so I am out now.

CalebT and RogerS5 like this.
  6. MartinF8

MartinF8 Bit poster

This may be the same issue I'm having. I've sent a technical report with ID: 336315964

7. PaulB30

PaulB30 Bit poster

avisavis likes this.
  8. Marty6

Marty6 Bit poster

I concur, why can't these companies test their product before releasing it, instead their advise is reinstall the system, oh you did that, then send a crash report. How is mine different from the 60 others here with the same problem.
    I'm sat waiting for another disk check while starting parallels because it crashed again. This happens on average every other day and at least 20 minutes to fix each time. I will not be renewing, going back to bootcamp, at least that is stable.

9. DamienH1

DamienH1 Bit poster

Ok, new to the forum and thought I would share my experiences of client's systems from the past years.

I have seen MacOS randomly 'pull' all the memory away from Parallels, I have seen this since about 4 years ago.
    It usually took only about a minute to right itself, but it was disturbing enough for me to start warning my clients on Mac that it would probably happen. Since then I have seen it happen on about 70-80% of the macs my clients use with Parallels.

If the Mac isn't assigning a ton of memory to the VM and the Mac is going slow, then there is an issue on the Mac side of things (as windows should be insulated from the system resources by being in a vm).

I suspect some kind of allocationing issue where Mac see's the vm as not needing any ram, then when all memory is pulled from parallels it is automatically pushed onto using the MacOS page files which will slow everything down. If parallels is using swift or any other 'high' level language I would recommend moving to a lower level programming language then manually allocating the ram, BUT this may not work, we are relying on MacOS to do the right thing.

10. ParallelsU398

ParallelsU398 Bit poster

I've been seeing this problem for a while. It used to work amazingly, I used Parallels as a demo to show how fast Windows10 is on Mac. I did two things that seem to have triggered this hang issue - 1) added a password to my windows account, and installed a 3rd party VPN (pulse secure) and AV software (Bitdefender). I can't say 100% if these changes are what made Parallels hang every time I use windows, but it's so bad now, I'm got to do a fresh windows install.

11. ParallelsU398

ParallelsU398 Bit poster

BTW, just happened again, and I sent in report 337489385

12. DamienH1

DamienH1 Bit poster

Hi ParallelsU398,
    Unless you told windows to use a network server for passwordsv or something similar (active directory etc.) then that shouldn't do anything, the VPN may cause a network issue, but that should still be 'contained' within the VM and not affect the Mac side of things, however MacOS networking is notoriously shoddy so maybe they open up the core functionality to software and it could interfere through the vm.
    Bitdefender may affect parallels as it will try to find out if you have a bios virus amongst other things.

None of these issues should affect the MacOS side of things though, if you get the problems on that side like the OP, then I don't know if a fresh windows install will help.

13. MariaH4

MariaH4 Bit poster

same here:
    found this today:
    /usr/local/bin/prl_disk_tool --help
    it has problems with dylib, because the developer used multiple times binding to the same dylib!!!
    just this is crashing TEAM take care before you publish such an update.

At Moment nothing works here, also Catalina crashes after start Parallllllells
    MacBook Pro i7 16GM Memory

14. MariaH4

MariaH4 Bit poster

it is terrible! What have you done with my Mac, now also Version 14 form download today will crash my system!!
    HDD test are all ok, after restart , after uninstall (move to bin) my Mac works as normal, but just with Parallels installed and doing nothing
    my Mac crashes, no not crashing running with multiple hand breaks!

DO YOU HAVE ANYWHERE AN COMPLETE UNINSTALLER ???

15. AlexeyP2

AlexeyP2 Bit poster

Are u damn serious? No, really! Exactly the same here. Bought Pro subscription and upgraded to version 15. No my Mac started to freeze randomly when I use Parallels... Do something!

16. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

17. avisavis

avisavis Bit poster

Could you please try switching to Apple Hypervisor. I changed it recently and it is very smooth so far.

Configure -> Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor

I read about it in other thread.
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-hypervisor-vs-apples-hypervisor.337755/page-2

ParallelsU398 likes this.
  18. ParallelsU398

ParallelsU398 Bit poster

19. countrys

countrys Bit poster

Used to have a similar problem and fixed it by re-assign memories to my virtual machine

20. NickK7

NickK7 Bit poster

Running /usr/local/bin/prl_disk_tool --help returns the following results for me:
    objc[49184]: Class MethodInfo is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/libPrlXmlModel.1.dylib (0x10f629918) and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disk_tool (0x10e81c7d0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[49184]: Class DeallocHook is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/libPrlXmlModel.1.dylib (0x10f629940) and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disk_tool (0x10e81c7f8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.