High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. AdamE3

AdamE3 Bit poster

@GregY thanks!
    (Unfortunately I got my laptop back from AppleCare+ completely wiped out therefore I don't know what was my PToolBox version but it was pretty recent like GregY's)

2. GregY

GregY Bit poster

Ah, when I hit "check for updates" in the prior version it reported back it was up to date and did not show a newer version. Downloaded latest version, hopefully that does the trick

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Please let us know if the issue reoccurs.

4. JoeA5

JoeA5 Bit poster

This issue still occurs on a daily basis is driving my insane... is there any solutions?

5. GregY

GregY Bit poster

I went to the website and dowloaded the Parallells updater and installed it then it stopped for good, hitting check for updates did not work.

6. Hello, are you running the latest Parallels Toolbox version 5.0?

7. GregY

GregY Bit poster

8. Thank you for your reply. Could you provide us with the screenshot of the error and with the technical report please?

9. GregY

GregY Bit poster

My issue solved by updating

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  10. YongweiW

YongweiW Bit poster

I found this discussion after upgrading to Catalina (finally).

Dear Parallel support: While it is true on paper that Parallels Toobox 2.x was not designed to be compatible with Catalina, did you notice why it was failing? It was failing while packaging a report to Parallels. It is not related to user functionality, and it was arguably a violation of user privacy as there is no option to turn it off!

So you are basically asking people to pay for a "functionality" that is irrelevant to end users. Do you really think it is good business, or it is a way to alienate your users?

11. MichaelB123

MichaelB123 Bit poster

I am using Parallels 15.1.5 and Toolbox 2.6.1
    I really like the toolbox. I did not update Parallels, because I could not find any hint anywhere that the bsdtar bug is fixed in newer versions. The way I handle it: When I start the toolbox I know that the bsdtar bug will come eventually. So when my Mac start breathing heavily, I go to the task manager, search for bsdtar and just kill all the processes right away. Looks like the problem is not coming back until I restart the toolbox.

Is there a firm confirmation, that a newer Version does not have this bug ?

12. SilverW

SilverW Bit poster

13. RyanW14

RyanW14 Bit poster

Got my new M1 Pro Macbook and installed the trial version of Parallels 17. Was surprised to wake the machine from sleep the next day to find it running hot and the battery nearly drained. Opened up Activity Monitor and found about 7 or so of these bsdtar things hammering the CPU at 100%. Killed them all and uninstalled the toolbox. Things seem better now. Is this a bug or is Toolbox no longer supported on the new OS? Will probably hold off purchasing until this issue is addressed.

14. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

There is no need to update. I run Parallels Toolbox 2.0.4 (1219) on macOs Ventura 13.5.1 without any issues simply by applying a simple fix to work around the bug. I'm invested in this version because I bought a perpetual license, so I am entitled to continue to use this version. I posted a workaround earlier on this thread here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/high-cpu-usage-due-to-bsdtar-process.348187/page-6#post-866143

Am re-posting the content here since it has been a few years:
    Hello, everyone. I have found a workaround for this problem. It is pretty simple, actually. Follow these steps:
    1. Quit the Parallels Toolbox app.
    2. Go to the /Users/_______/Library/Logs folder. (Underlined part of the path is your username).
    3. Then, scroll down to find the ParallelsToolbox folder.
    4. Open the ParallelsToolbox folder and delete all the files from it.
    5. Then, right click on the ParallelsToolbox folder and select Get Info.
    6. Change the permissions on the folder: set your user to Read Only and set Everyone to No Access.
    7. Restart the Parallels Toolbox app.
    Now, the app cannot create any files in there to run bsdtar on. All the commands fail silently. No more 100% processes after restarting or rebooting.

15. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member