Parallels 16 extremely slow on MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PatrickP9, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

I tried the insider ARM build of Windows 10 on an M1 in 16.5, it goes like a rocket compared to any virtualisation on Intel in Parallels on my Intel Mac! Crazy. Well I guess we will only be using Apple Silicon one day anyway...

AlejandroR3 likes this.
  2. SergeyS11

SergeyS11 Bit poster

Hey, Parallels, is there any chance you fix the problem in near future? I have Win 10 with Parallels 16.5. There are two issues:
    1. After upgrade to Parallels 16 windows is extremely slow. Boots for a long time, runs as slow as my PC in 1999. I have to wait 5-10 minutes to open page in Chrome. WTF is going on? All of this happened after upgrade.
    2. Parallels drains battery and make my Mac very hot.

3. RyanP11

RyanP11 Bit poster

Just did a clean install of Big Sur on my Mac Pro, (12 core, 192GB Ram) and 16" MacBook Pro (8 core, 64GB ram).

I experienced severe slow downs when using Parallels in Coherence Mode. I have a pretty demanding setup with 3 x 4K monitors and 3 VM's running. Nevertheless it is very fast under Catalina and very slow under Big Sur. I spent a couple days playing with every performance setting I could find and finally formatted the HD's and did a clean install of Catalina. Same VM's, but now the performance is much much faster.

The Mac Pro was "almost" usable in Big Sur, but the UI in MacBook Pro was a slideshow with the fans going full tilt. Even on the Mac Pro though, the performance hit was way too much. They were both faster when using full screen instead of coherence, but that really breaks my use case of using OS X and Windows applications side by side.

4. TCLockhart

TCLockhart Bit poster

Agree that performance has been dismal since Parallels 16. Submitted technical data 369781346.
    Doesn't look like there's much hope based on the conversations here. A shame, since I left VMware Fusion many years ago because Parallels performance was far superior.
    I don't have time to sit and wait 45 seconds plus just for Windows to finish the start-up process and then operate like I'm interacting with a remote system via dial-up, and the overall impact on on the host system (2019 MBP with 8-core i9 and 16GB of RAM) is crippling.
    It's like I've gone 10+ years back in time and using a standard hard drive instead of SSD.
    Been living with it for a while now, but can't take it anymore. I'll give it another week before I jump ship back to VMware.

5. Hi guys, could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please?

6. MarkB54

MarkB54 Bit poster

I found this thread because I was suffering the same difficulties (in particular, 100% disk time on C:). For me, turning off "expanding disk" in advanced settings/properties of the disk fixed the problem; I offer it here in the hope that this will help someone else.

7. ParaJim

ParaJim Bit poster

I've had this problem on my iMac for months, and it was driving me bonkers. We spent many hours checking Windows, eliminating programs, changing virus scanners on Mac and in VM, etc. to no avail. After reading this thread today, I disabled "Enable TRIM" and "Expanding Disk" and Windows 10 has been running smoothly for the last 2.5 hours. I haven't seen it work this fast for way too long.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 4.2Ghz Quad-Code i7; 64GB memory; SSD; Big Sur 11.4; Parallels 16.5.

KevinR8 likes this.
  8. Hi, could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs please?

9. KevinR8

KevinR8 Bit poster

Just wanted to chime in and report that disabling TRIM in parallels 16.5 settings resulted in improved performance. I wasn't able to disable "Expanding Disk" as I'm kinda limited on space, but just that change itself seems to be working so far.

I'm running a 2018 MBP 2.7 GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7 with 16GB memory.

10. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Running BigSur 11.4 and latest Parallels 16.5.0 (49183) and have noticed constant "beach balls" in my Mac and sudden frozen cursors in Windows. It seems pretty constant and way worse than Parallels 16.1.x. I'm trying to disable Expanding Disk option in my VM main drive to see what happens. Since my Mac has a SSD it seems I should keep TRIM turned on. If it works, the down side of this workaround is loosing aprox. 230Gb of space since I have my VM C:\ drive set to 512Gb.

11. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Forgot to mention my hardware:
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)2,6 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7
    16Gb RAM - Radeon Pro 555X 4Gb - Intel UHD 630 1536Mb

12. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

After a week working without "Expanding Disk" turned on, the beachballs are gone and Windows is way more responding.
    I always used expanding disk before and never got issues related to that.
    Has Parallels 16.1.x "Expanding Disk" feature became buggy?

13. PhillM

PhillM Bit poster

Mine is off and it still taxes the 32Gb MBP16 even with light windows tasks like MS project. Hopefully there is a settings solution

14. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

Is there a solution to this yet?

15. Hi, do you have a performance issue? Did you check it with just released Parallels Desktop 17?

16. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

When I am using Microsoft Teams, my call quality is bad. There's is a significant delay with audio and video, screen sharing is problematic, and it's basically impossible to use Teams to conduct business in the way we've been able to previously.

After reading on this thread, I've downgraded (today) to version 15. I haven't yet had a Teams call to test performance. Questions:
    1. When I go to upgrade, it offers me version 16, not version 17. How do I upgrade to version 17?
    2. In addition to upgrading to version 17, are there any other settings which need changing e.g.:
    a) Expanding disk
    b) Hypervisor
    c) Resolution to scaled

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

17. TJF@Denver

TJF@Denver Bit poster

confirmed ... disabled expanding disks on my win10 VM ... my choppy/slowness issue immediately went away ...

18. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Please be advised that we do not recommend converting the disk from expanding to the plain one. This feature has been deprecated in Parallels Desktop 17, so we advise just disabling TRIM (open the virtual machine's configuration > Hardware > Hard disk > Advanced.. > Disable 'Enable TRIM'). If it's not helpful, we'd appreciate it if you reproduced the issue and collected a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report). Send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply.

19. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

I've found performance to be a lot better in Parallels 17. I still get quite a bit of a janky slow experience if I tab in and out of the VM, and occasionally it gets lags that last a few seconds even if not, but overall performance moved in the right direction quite a lot after the upgrade.

20. Hello, could you provide us with the detailed issue description please?
    Technical report and screenshots will be very helpful.
    Looking forward to your reply and will be glad to help.