No sound at Catalina 10.15.2! (Parallels Desktop 15.1.2 for Mac)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NikolayA2, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Hi, thank you for the provided information and for your private message.
    This issue is under investigation with Parallels Engineering Team. They are continually working on issue that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for fix until one is available.
    Once we get any updates we will contact you.

2. ChrisR20

ChrisR20 Bit poster

Hi, I found a fix for my setup (macOS 10.15.7, Parallels Desktop 16.5.0 for Mac, VM: Win10, 20H2, 19042.928):
    • giving the Parallels desktop App full disk access under macOS security settings (not sure if that is really needed)
    • in the advanced Sound & Camera settings of the VM I chose "AC'97" and then the "Parallels Audio Controller" did show up under the windows devices
    Hope this is useful for you -- oh and I use a thunderbolt 3 hardware audio device with the VM.
    .C

AmirK2 likes this.
  3. AmirK2

AmirK2 Bit poster

Where can I "the "Parallels Audio Controller" did show up under the windows devices".... in Parallels?

4. ErnestoR1

ErnestoR1 Bit poster

I have the same problem with Mac audio and video with Ubuntu VM (latest Big Sur 1.4). I had this issue for a long time already. It is really annoying. Audio and video stop working after a while when I open a VM. I work constantly in my ubuntu VM thus anytime I have a meeting I need to close my VM and do a
    sudo killall coreaudiod. I hope parallels fixes this issue soon. I have been considering moving to other VM tool.

5. brandonf2

brandonf2 Bit poster

I completely removed the sound hardware from the VM and it still did it. I found a workaround though: lower the RAM and CPU to 4GB and 2 cores respectively.

somehow this stopped it from stealing my audio and it made Mac faster AND the windows VM faster. Seems like there is a bug when assigning more than 4GB of RAM.

6. StevenT10

StevenT10 Bit poster

After updating to Catalina 10.15.2, Airpods stopped working with my Macbook. Apple mentioned these steps and I tried but not working. I followed this article https://geniusgeeks.com/airpods-sound-microphone-muffled/ and also followed Apple guide which is this "Make sure the speakers are connected to the audio out port on your Mac or display, as well as a power supply if necessary. On your external speakers, look for a power switch and a volume control. Turn on the speakers and adjust the volume if necessary."

Still facing the issue.

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. WomackDev

WomackDev Bit poster

I just encounter the same exact issue with version 17 on Big Sur 11.5.1 on a MacBook Pro 15 in - 2017. The only workaround was to suspend the vm and reactivate. I resolved the issue by reverting to the last version of 16 and it hasn't occurred again.

ChristophD4 likes this.
  9. LeifM1

LeifM1 Bit poster

I'm using 17 with 11.5.2 on a 15" 2017 Macbook Pro and have had this issue for some time but it *appears* that sound/mic works when I am not in coherence mode.

10. ChristophD4

ChristophD4 Bit poster

I'm using also 17 with 11.5.2 on a 15" 2018 Macbook Pro. I tried a lot and couldn't find the "trigger" inside my VM Windows 10 64bit. Today, when I changed to Hypervisor "Apple", my sound works the whole workday, so this seems to be the workaround. My Support ticket three days ago is still waiting to be answered.
    Thanks to parallels for "quick" help :/

11. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

Got same issue with macOS 11.6 and Parallels Desktop 17.0.1

12. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

It seems fine for me: use Apple hypervisor and killall coreaudiod, don't know how long can I use it.

13. JerryM6

JerryM6 Bit poster

I was encouraged by the last release note "Resolves an issue with sound sometimes disappearing on a Mac after running a virtual machine" in the 17.1.0.51516 patch but this still does not resolve the issue.

14. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

Thanks! I tried it, it doesn't fix this issue.

NathanC6 likes this.
  15. NathanC6

NathanC6 Bit poster

same - Big Sur 11.6 / Windows 10 vm
    The patch seemed to work for a few days and then it was back to 'normal' - so maddening to be on a call w/ work and then *poo* no audio.

16. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @NathanC6, Please refer to this KB article to: https://kb.parallels.com/115835 to reinstall Parallels tools and check. If the issue persists please refer to this KB articl: https://kb.parallels.com/6571 to create a support ticket and reply to this message with the ticket number, so we can assist you further. Thanks, McAllen.

17. klauserd

klauserd Bit poster

I've got the same issue with a MacBook Pro 16 and running Big Sur.
    Downgraded to Version 16 (from 17) and now it works again.

18. ZhenT2

ZhenT2 Bit poster

Hi all,

I tried the latest macOS(12.3.1) with the latest parallels desktop(Version 17.1.2 (51548)).
    Once I switched to Parallels hypervisor(from Apple hypervisor) I got the same sound issue. I think Apple hypervisor works fine, but a little slow(my feeling when compiling dotnet projects)

19. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, have you installed Parallels Tools?

20. ycc

ycc Bit poster

hi all,

After looking for all different solutions for the no voice device in win10 (including apple hypervisor, reinstall parallels tools...), I found there is no Sound & Camera in VM HW config settings in parallels app.

Just press the "+" to rejoin the Sound & Camera in HW setting and reboot VM, and sound setting in VM is back...