Parallels Desktop for Mac computers with Apple M2 chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Jun 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tony F.

Tony F. Bit poster

Hello, I could use some help - please excuse my ignorance around Parallels/Virtualization with the new M-class Chips - here's my question/situation:

I currently have a 2017 Macbook Pro Intel Quad-Core i7. I have a Parallels subscription and I'm running Windows 10 on it because there is some software I need to use that is PC only. Unfortunately for me, my Macbook Pro is dying (boo) and I've decided to purchase the new M2 Macbook Air (yay). I understand the premise that the M2 Arm architecture is different than Intel and I understand that I can install Parallels on the new M2 Macbook Air - but... is it possible for me to just take my Parallels VM Windows File from my old computer, move it over to the M2 and just run it so that the VM OS, and all of it's installed software that I have in it and need, just runs? Or do I have to install a new Windows version on the M2 and re-install all of the software again? It would be so convenient if I could just run the VM file I have on my old Macbook on the new one I'm purchasing. Probably not that easy right? Sorry for being a noob around this.

And direction would be appreciated. - Tony

2. Soarsz

Soarsz Junior Member

sorry, it was armx64

mwhalenhtc likes this.
  3. Tony F.

Tony F. Bit poster

help

4. ParallelsU966

ParallelsU966 Bit poster

Hi.
    I am setting up windows 11 on my macbook air M2 2022 that I recently bought. When i set up the the virtual machine, i go through the steps, but i stop at the internet step. It will not show me any internet options.
    [​IMG]
    I have tried telegram support, and I have gone through some of the kb.

Attached Files:

5. NoahG2

NoahG2 Bit poster

Cross posted from another part of the Parallels forum:

Hello everyone, recently I set up Parallels on my M1 Mac mini and was overjoyed to find Autodesk Revit 2023 functioned smoothly. As I am in the market for a new laptop, I am again considering Apple as a primary mobile workstation.

Yesterday/today I created a Windows 11 ARM VM on my new M2 Macbook Air and installed Autodesk Revit.
    Three times I have received a video driver error in Revit, detailed by Autodesk here. I have attempted to switch the graphics driver in Windows settings as suggested in the article.

I suspect this is related to some environmental difference with the M2 chip, as I had not experienced this error in weeks of working on an M1 Windows ARM Revit installation.

I realize some hiccups are expected with new architectures. Wondering if and when Parallels will officially support M2.
    I also realize this issue could be unrelated. Please drop some advice if this might be fixable!

Thank you
    Noah

6. paolol1

paolol1 Bit poster

Anyone of you as experience installing office 365 inside a VM with windows 11 running on Mac book air with m2 chip?

7. JamesJ23

JamesJ23 Bit poster

has anyone using MAC PRO 13" with a M2 chip got this working and running windows 10?? most specifically m2 chip running window
    if YES please advise so i can get it running too. FYI new user to both MAC and Parallels.
    thank you!!

8. EvanH1

EvanH1 Bit poster

I am having an issue installing parallels-tools on my m2 with kali-arm64. I trie dto post my parallels-tools-isntall.log file but for whatever reason it got me blocked?
    The error code appears to be a problem with this line in particular:
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64

9. Jean-JacquesR1

Jean-JacquesR1 Bit poster

10. CharlesC8

CharlesC8 Bit poster

I think the M1/M2 laptops are only going to run the ARM version of Windows 11 so you might be out of luck. What I am doing is install the ARM version of Windows 11 and then install a program to make Windows 11 look / run like Windows 10.

11. TonyM4

TonyM4 Bit poster

Hi

I run parallels primarily for Quicken and Excel. Currently I'm using a 2018 MacBook Pro, i9 with 32GB of memory. I'm thinking about moving to a new MacBook with Apple silicon. It's my understanding that I can run Win11 but what I don't know is will it be a problem, will it run slower, will it be faster, is there a memory size I should get, would a MacBook Pro with an M1 be better or is MacBook Air with an M2 just as good or better.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Tony

12. JohnP63

JohnP63 Bit poster

why does the amount of time factor into 16GB versus 24BGB RAM?

13. JohnP63

JohnP63 Bit poster

What is the correct M2 Air configuration to purchase to run Parallels full time with no processor throttling or machine running hot?

14. DanielD24

DanielD24 Bit poster

Literally what are you talking about? Offense not intended but you realize the only way to support multi-arch VMs like that would be to run exclusively through QEMU to emulate x86_64 instruction sets and translate? There are other solutions that do that - just look up M1 QEMU, but those are not a type-1 hypervisor like Parallels.

15. ShelleyF

ShelleyF Bit poster

Hi
    Hoping someone can help. I've bought a Macbook Air M2 for my son. He wants to use Formula 1 Manager and Fortnite on it. I have downloaded Paralells Windows 11 and bought the games but I get an error message when I try to open both games.
    Can anyone let me know what to try next please? In case you haven't guessed I'm new to Macs. Thanks

16. MarioT5

MarioT5 Bit poster

Hello Everybody!
    I am currently running parallels on a m1 16gb macbook air and as I am using a lot of huge and calculation-heavy Excel spreadsheets in Windows 11 I am thinking about buying the new M2 with 24gb RAM.
    Does anybody here has experience if the performance will improve noticeable when using M2/24gb instead of M1/16gb?
    As I am using the recommended settings (= 6gb RAM for parallels) I am also wondering how much RAM is parallels recommending for the 24gb RAM M2 machine?
    (before using the recommended 6gb I used 8gb and I had strongly felt that the 6gb run much smoothier than the 8gb - any thoughts on this?)
    Every comment is highly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mario

17. AliH7

AliH7 Bit poster

Hello, I hope you are doing well. I have a MacBook M1 8gb of Ram. I download the free trial to see whether it is worth it and it definitely is expect for one issue. I need Autodesk inventor for schooL. I downloaded Inventor but it runs delayed or choppy once the design gets more complicated. I assumed that it might be cause of the ram. I was wondering whether that if I bought the pro version, would that helps with the issue. I heard I can configure the pro version for CAD software which is nice. If so, is there a student discount for the pro version and just incase it doesn't help can I have a refund just in case.

18. Kaden1

Kaden1 Bit poster

Hi, I am running parallels 18 on a brand new MacBook Air 2022 M2 and I was able to download Minecraft on my M1 MacBook Air (2022) but am unable to download it on my M2. I get the error "this product is not compatible with your pc's processor" just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix that. So far its literally my ONLY problem with parallels 18.

19. JasonR26

JasonR26 Bit poster

Hi I'm running parallels 18 on an m2 MacBook Air. With the recent Xbox app update it now finally shows up as downloadable from the Microsoft store. However after I download and run it it just sits there pulsing the Xbox symbol endlessly. Any thoughts on how to make this work?

20. phorim

phorim Bit poster