Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. RCBOOKS

RCBOOKS Bit poster

Do a lot of copying from parts of web pages in Mac/Safari& Firefox , pasting into an EXCEL file on my Windows. Worked great, until recently. Is there a setting that I somehow changed? Any ideas??

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Have you restarted your Guest OS?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  3. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

It would appear that Security Update 2007-009 breaks Parallels clipboard synchronization, at least on 10.4.11. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm running Parallels 3.0, build 5582.

Dan

4. khennes

khennes Junior Member

My clipboard sync is also broken, and I am also running build 5582 on a Mac with OS 10.4.11. The cut and paste worked yesterday, but today after installing the Apple Security Update 2007-009 the cut and paste from Windows XP to Mac or vice versa is a no go.

I have restarted Windows, relaunched Parallels, restarted the Mac, reinstalled Parallels Tools, and disabled and re-enabled the clipboard sync in Parallels Tools to no avail.

5. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Hmmm...I have 5582 working with 10.5.1 with no issues. Maybe it could be the security update. Let's see if anyone else can chime in with some insight.

6. bowbot

bowbot Junior Member

Hi,
    I am having the exact same issue. PARA build 5582, OSX 10.4.11 with latest security update. To clarify though the failure is 1 way: I can copy from windows and past to OSX but not the other way.

any fixes in the offing?

7. khennes

khennes Junior Member

bowbot is right - I can in fact copy from Windows to the Mac, just not from the Mac to Windows.

8. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

What key sequence are you both using to copy paste from Mac to PC?

9. khennes

khennes Junior Member

I generally use Apple+C, Apple+V. (I have the keys mapped in my Windows VM so I didn't have to retrain myself to use the CTRL key, and this has worked for me in the past.) Today when I started having trouble, I did try using the right-click menu to select "Copy" and "Paste" as well as Apple+C, CTRL+V and CTRL+C, CTRL+V and this didn't seem to help.

When I select the clipboard sync in the Parallels Tools menu, the "current clipboard" text box is blank even when my Mac clipboard contains text...but I don't remember if this used to display properly even when it was working.

10. binuraman

binuraman Bit poster

Parallels Team, please help us out

I too face the same problem. After the latest security update on my Mac (Mac OS 10.4.11), I found that I'm not able to copy any text from Mac to Windows.

I tried updating Parallels Desktop to build 5582, but no use.

I'm able to copy text from Windows to Mac, but not from Mac to Windows.

Dear Parallels team, try to fix this asap because I need this facility soooo much, otherwise which it's too difficult for me to work on.

11. joewoody121

joewoody121 Bit poster

/bump

This is also broke for me after applying the last patch.

Clipboard synchronization is incredibly important to my job. Please, please, please fix this!!!!!!

12. cbbarkin

cbbarkin Bit poster

This is a disaster

Seriously I have to work in Outlook and various windows only apps to do my job and I'm dying - having to save everything to text files or retyping huge chunks by hand. Parallels please help us!

Parallels Desktop 3.0 - 5582
    2007-12-18 08:37:58 -0500: Installed "Security Update 2007-009 (Universal)" (1.0)

13. joelschou

joelschou Bit poster

Same problem here.

• MacPro
    • Parallels 5582
    • OS 10.4.11

I installed the Security Update before going home last night. Copy-paste didn't work today when I fired everything up from scratch. One of my coworkers is running 10.5.1 and everything is fine for him.

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

Please uninstall Parallels Tools. Then reboot VM in Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly when Windows is starting) and delete Parallels folder in Program Files. Restart Windows again and reinstall Parallels Tools.
    Is it possible to find out which security update exactly causes this problem?
    On Leopard Windows XP works without any issues for me too, with all security updates, PD build 5582.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

At this point in your instructions, there is no Parallels folder in Program Files. Please advise.
    _

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

This means that Tools have been uninstalled successfully.
    Does reinstalling Parallels Tools change anything?

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

No, it does not.

If you would like to replicate this problem, run Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac, build 5582 on a fully patched 10.4 machine.
    _

18. khennes

khennes Junior Member

No change here either - Cut and paste AND drag and drop from Mac to Windows still don't work (Windows to Mac works fine).

I uninstalled Parallels Tools, restarted Windows in safe mode, tried to delete Parallels folder (but there wasn't one), restarted Windows in normal mode, and reinstalled Parallels tools.

Same as the person above, I installed Security Update 2007-009 (10.4.11 Universal) from Apple on my MacPro and am running Parallels 3.0 for Mac, Build 5582. My Mac is running 10.4.11 and my Guest OS is Windows XP.

19. dkindler

dkindler Bit poster

AAAGH! I have the exact same setup (and problem) as khennes. Any way to uninstall Apple's security update?

20. cybertubby

cybertubby Member

pasting into windows VM doesn't work, as of yesterday

I tried uninstall/reboot/safemode/remove Parallels/reboot/reinstall.

The problem was not helped. Still cannot paste into windows.
    (Can paste in reverse.)
    I also did the security update for OSX.
    Build=5160.
    OSX=10.4.11 with recent updates.
    MacBook Pro.

(Parallels revenge for my complaining that you can't paste graphics??)

Costly to me... trying to finalize a report in WinWord (need Mathtype)
    using output from OSX R.