Mouse and keyboard don't work in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by premonition, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

gag-me,

I mean in folder 'Library' you can find a folder 'Parallels'. What is the size of this folder?

Best regards,
    Stacey

2. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

this folder is 8.31 gig! It contains a winxp folder that then contains three files, winxp.hdd, winxp.mem, and winxp.pvs. The .hdd files is the large one.
    M

3. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

gag-me,

this winxp folder contains data on your VM. You may need it to back-up your VM, i.e. if you want to use your previous VM after re-installation of Parallels Desktop, you can use this files. But you don't need to send us this winxp folder.

Best regards,
    Stacey

4. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Stacey,
    Sorry to be dense, but when I do the first sudo cammand it tells me that: ~/library/parallels: is a directory. When I did it the second time, it told me the same thing and that directory is still in the 'library' folder after trying.
    M

5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Try to perform the following commands:
    sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels/*
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels/*

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

same problem.
    M

7. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Even though I couldn't remove the ~/library/parallels/ folder from the command line I went ahead and reinstalled parallels. I get the same problem when windows boots up. No mouse or keyboard control and it is stuck trying to updated parallels tools.

Help, please!

M

8. avlee

avlee Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried what you outlined to do in this thread and it did not work. I am getting the same results. My keyboard and mouse are still not working. Do you have any other suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much

9. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to use these commands:
    sudo rm /Home/Users/<user name>/Library/Parallels
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels
    sudo rm /Users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*
    (where <user name> is your User name)

Best regards,
    Stacey

10. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Stacey,
    It seems that sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels command is running into a problem removing a directory. I have only the most low level feel for UNIX. Do the contents need to be empty prior to getting rid of the directory? It has that WinXP file in there currently.
    Thanks again,
    M

11. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

gag-me, avlee,
    there may be a deeper problem in your cases. Could you please provide me with some information. I would like to know what type of Mac you are using. What are its specifications?
    How exactly did the problem appear? I mean did you make any updates? Were there any BSODs or error messages?

Best regards,
    Stacey

12. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Stacey,
    I upgraded from Build 3214. It was admittedly having problems with windows XP hanging up on startup, and thus the upgrade in the hope that all problems would go away. This is on my office mac (MacPro, OSX10.4.10, 2 x 3 G GHz, 2 Gig RAM). I have the same configuration at home running the 2 2.66 GHz chips. I haven't upgraded that one yet because I use it everyday, in the office I use the PC much less frequently.

What is the difference between using a command line removal of a file and doing it using the GUI (i.e move it to trash, etc)?

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Thanks,

M

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

thank you for information, I will investigate.

Did you try to remove 'Parallels' folder from 'Library' manually?

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

I manually removed that winxp file, reinstalled windows and all seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.
    M

15. Darklady

Darklady Bit poster

For those still unable to get an external mouse to work in Parallels, I have found a really simple solution! When you connect the mouse, you get a dialogue box telling you:

"You are trying to connect USB HID device to the virtual machine. The device connected to the virtual machine will be inaccessible in Mac OS X until it is disconnected from the virtual machine or until the virtual machine is stopped or suspended. If you connect your primary keyboard or mouse to the virtual machine, it will be impossible to use them in Mac OS X.

Do you want to connect this USB HID device to the virtual machine?
    "

Instead of clicking YES, click NO!

Your mouse pointer will magically start working on your Parallels desktop and all PC applications, as well as on your Mac desktop!!

If the dialogue box doesn't come up, close Parallels, plug in your mouse and restart Parallels to get the dialogue box.

Must be a glitch in Parallels?

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
    Darklady

16. wildd86

wildd86 Bit poster

In desperate need of help...Keyboard and mouse driving me crazy

I have gone through this thread and have followed all given instructions, but nothing is working. Basically, I have an iMac and I've got Vista Home Premium installed on Boot Camp (without any issues), however, when I set up Parallels (5160) to use the Boot Camp partition things go sour. Parallels will start up, but once it's inside Vista, my wireless might mouse and my keyboard will not work. I have tried everything! Please please please tell me what to do to get this to work.

Thanks.

17. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

gag-me, thank you for letting us know. We will investigate this issue in order to prevent such problems in the future.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Darklady, thank you for posting your workaround here.

wildd86, unfortunately, the license agreement terms of the Windows Vista Home editions do not allow users to install this OS inside a virtual machine.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Stacey

18. wildd86

wildd86 Bit poster

It's not installed in a virtual machine though. It's a boot camp install. Does that still apply?

19. Darklady

Darklady Bit poster

I'm afraid I don't know - I'm only talking from my own experience: I have Parallels installed as a virtual machine without Bootcamp, on a Macbook. Best thing would probably be just to try it? It's so simple, you just say No instead of Yes. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything or damaged anything, you simply unplug the mouse and start again.

Sorry, I just don't know anything about Bootcamp.

Regards
    Darklady.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  20. Darklady

Darklady Bit poster

Why do you need Boot Camp? Parallels works perfectly well for me as a virtual machine, running Vista Business and MS Office Professional, without Boot Camp.

Regards
    Darklady