Parallels 10 Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gernot Leitgab, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Lanny_Collins

Lanny_Collins Bit poster

+1

I believe that this is the first discussion thread in ANY forum where all participants were unanimous in agreement on the topic.

2. Matthias_Meier

Matthias_Meier Bit poster

I really hope they will fix this.

3. Nick_Zahorcak

Nick_Zahorcak Bit poster

I'm with everyone else on this one, it's annoying to have the extra icon. Make it an option to turn it off.

4. Alper_Rozanes

Alper_Rozanes Bit poster

Hi all,
    I'm actually surprised at how such a minuscule nuisance of an extra icon can not be fixed even after the first request.
    I've been a PD user since version 4, having purchased all upgrades except one of them, and just upgraded to 10 couple of minutes ago.
    The very first thing I noticed was the extra icon, and wanted to turn it off immediately.
    So Parallels, is this a joke? Are you seriously not going to consider adding an extra option to change it and try to brush-off so many people?

5. WindowsUser

WindowsUser Bit poster

I opened a support ticket and they weren't very helpful. Remove the second icon, Parallels. Or give users the option to remove it. Ultimately your software should please your users...

In fact, as it is now, the icon causes a serious bug. When I drag Parallels Desktop to Desktop 2 on my Mac and then at any point during my regular computing CMD + tab over to this unnecessary separate icon for my virtual machine, Parallels/Windows goes completely black and is unusable until shutting down and restarting the VM.

6. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Bit poster

add my voice to the list - just upgraded tonight and 1st thing I did was notice this incredibly annoying "feature".

7. IvyKim

IvyKim Bit poster

As someone who likes an uncluttered dock, I am in absolute total agreement that there should only be ONE icon for Parallels in the dock. If the initial installation of P10 must include the extra icon, there should be a simple way to remove it.
    Parallels, why do you delay in responding to polite requests from five pages of posters?

Andrew_Busin and James_Toothman like this.
  8. James_Toothman

James_Toothman Bit poster

Agree 100% ... the extra Dock icons are highly annoying!!!

I will not upgrade to Parallels Desktop v10.x unless this new "feature" is removed, or can be disabled. One running application needs only one Dock icon, IMO. Parallels 9.x works well for me and is not annoying, so I see no compelling reason to "upgrade" at this time ... and several reasons not to.

9. Todd_Stern

Todd_Stern Bit poster

+1 here - absolutely useless "feature"

The extra icon is a pure waste of space. I am currently operating a linux and windows vm. I see absolutely no reason to have a third icon that lets me choose between the two vm's which are ALREADY IN MY DOCK!

I count well over 75 user complaints at the time I'm typing this. Most of whom seem frustrated enough to move on to something else, or at least they are going to investigate other options. These are only your "vocal" users. I wonder how many have read this thread and haven't even bothered to add their voices, since it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

I am in the position of making the software decisions for our company. I control 5 other mac workstations, with operators at varying levels of ability. I have absolutely no intention of installing p10 on their machines until this ridiculous "feature" is removed, since it will undoubtedly cause no end of confusion for some of my "less-than-pro" users.

I have been a loyal outspoken fan of parallels since version 4. Since version 4 I have been directly responsible for 32 parallels license upgrades / purchases. I can tell you I will be investigating VMware Fusion and Virtual Box, both of which will handle the lightweight Windows applications I need to virtualize (and who I am certain are looking for any competitive advantage they can find)

Now, do some math... ask yourself how many users in this thread are in similar situations, and are more than likely controlling more machines than I am. And then remember that most people tend to install the same software they use at work, at home.

JesusB2 likes this.
  10. PierreT

PierreT Bit poster

+1 ... I have used Parallels since version 7, even though my company standardizes on VMWare. I have purchased out of my own pocket every single version from 7 - 10. This is the first time, I had to come to the forums scratching my head. Please make this go away. If anything it lacks elegance, and shows of what feels like a very broken user experience.

Now since I doubt parallels gives much weight to forum posts, I'm going to open a support ticket about this, and I encourage everyone here to do the same. Engineering works based on the # of requests that come in, not based on the number of messages in a forum thread.

11. Andrew_Busin

Andrew_Busin Bit poster

I'm shocked to be honest
    Just updated from P9 and didn't find a way to get rid of the second icon, then discovered this thread
    It's here since Aug20 and there is still no sign that the second icon will be removed
    I'm about to roll back to P9 and ask for refund, NOT gonna use a system with this level of support, NOT gonna pay money for that!

12. Lior_Gabay

Lior_Gabay Bit poster

Please make this configurable!!! this is super annoying specially for mac users who cant stand this kind of crap.

JesusB2 likes this.
  13. Newell_Seal

Newell_Seal Bit poster

Annoyed enough to look for a solution. More annoyed there is no solution and no comment that one is forth coming. Seems silly they can give two viewing options for the icon but they can't add a third that says DON'T SHOW. I have been supporting the product with my purchases since version 3.0. I can also demonstrate my displeasure by spending my money on a different product.

14. Ed Stembridge

Ed Stembridge Junior Member

Adding my voice to those vigorously opposed to this poor UI/UX choice. It completely flies in the face of established UI standards for *every* platform. This is the kind of thing that makes me think the person or committee that came up with the idea doesn't actually use the product.

I've been running Parallels Desktop on my work laptop (Fortune 50 company), and VMWare on my personal computer for years, and until now, never felt there was a substantial difference in performance or UX that would make me want to switch both computers over to the same VM. Parallels Product Manager - *this* issue is a big enough "bur under the saddle" that if it's not removed by the next paid update, I *will* move my work machine over to VMWare. Parallels Marketing Manager - you're well aware that it costs much less to *keep* a customer than to acquire a new one. Based on the virtually universal hatred of this poor UI/UX decision, do you really want to start loosing customers who, until this point, were quite happy with the product?

15. Marcin_Kapelko

Marcin_Kapelko Bit poster

Parallels 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, vmare fusion 7, no kidding, the parallels support is unbelievably horrible and I hate these 2 icons in my minimalist's dock. What the?

16. Артём_Сапегин

Артём_Сапегин Bit poster

It makes Coherence mode useless. I only need Internet Explorer but now I have three icons in my Dock: it's 1/3 of my usual Dock.

Attached Files:

17. Nathan_Lapierre

Nathan_Lapierre Bit poster

Agreed.

The extra dock icon is unnecessary. Please add an option to bring it back to the old dock style.

18. Andrew_Busin

Andrew_Busin Bit poster

Processing my refund for parallels 10, shall use p9 for a while, but won't buy any new versions

19. Demis_John

Demis_John Bit poster

Just to add an opinion, I think understanding VM configuration, preferences etc. is much cleaner with the separate dock icons. And it makes sense that clicking the Parallels icon shows the main VM control center with a list of all VM's. Overall i think it's a great change that makes more sense to me conceptually - I'm launching Windows 7/XP or whatnot, and the dock shows that.

I just wish that sleeping VM's would not wake upon clicking their dock icons.

20. Dima

Dima Bit poster

Please add an option to show only one icon in the dock just like it was in version 9. Also, I must say, those parallel lines on the icons are not appealing at all.