Parallels Desktop for Mac computers with Apple M2 chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Jun 8, 2022.

1. AzinS

AzinS Member

if you need nested virtualization (which i need for WSL2), it won't be supported in M1 Max. It seems it is still the limitation in M2 as well.

2. BasicGoodmorning

BasicGoodmorning Bit poster

I hope they solve it with the new M3 chips

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. Jean-PascalM1

Jean-PascalM1

Hello I have a Mac Studio M2 max and I installed Linux art in virtualization and I encounter a problem regardless of the version of Linux impossible to open Appimage files while under an Intel MacBook Pro without going through Parallels it opens without pb can you help me thank you in advance

4. EvgeniT

EvgeniT

Hello everyone. I am on a Macbook Pro M2 and am on Parallels 19. It is really strange. When I start it - it immediately starts the CentOS Vm that I have installed but no matter what I do I can't open a Parallels Desktop Manager. I would like to open it and clone a couple of more VMs to create an environment. No matter what I do (there is no icon in the top right corner, or when I try from the Parallels left side to open something) it immediately opens the VM. Well I want to be able to clone it and give it a name or whatever.

Looking for suggestions.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Parallels Desktop is fully compatible with Mac computers with Apple M2 chips :) @EvgeniT , would you open a ticket at https://parallels.com/support so we could investigate the issue in detail, please?

6. ThangT1

ThangT1 Bit poster

Hello,
    I have Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 192GB RAM running MacOS 14.0 but when I installed Parallels Desktop 19. I only can create a MacOS VM with the command and I can create only 2 MacOS VMs. Is there any way to create more MacOS VMs with Parallels?
    Thanks!

7. TuD1

TuD1 Bit poster

I am using a MAC Studio M2 Ultra and using Parallels 19 to create VMs. However, I am having an issue when trying to create the third VM. When I turn it on, it will turn off a previous VM. And only a maximum of two VMs can run. Does anyone have a solution for this situation?

8. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    We could not find a valid subscription under your current email address. Please respond to our private message.
    Also , to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

9. globalt8

globalt8 Bit poster

10. hnsnls

hnsnls Bit poster

Hello,
    I have Parallels Pro installed on a MacMini Pro.
    With several backup programs (including EaseUS, Aomei) I get a blue screen with the message "Inaccessible boot device error". I don't know how to fix that and then I just restore an old Windows 11.pvm. I then lose work again. Is there a reliable backup program?
    In the Parallels environment on a Mac with an Intel chipset that I used for years, I have never encountered these problems.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

11. DaveH16

DaveH16 Bit poster

I feel your pain.

The only way I've gotten it to work is to save the source on a shared drive (IE a documents folder that both the Mac and Windows can see). And then install VS Code on the Mac with the Maui plugin, and load the project into VS Code on the Mac side, restore the nuget packages, recompile and launch the Android Emulator on the Mac side from VS Code. There is another discussion in a different thread about ideas on how to get the Android Emulator working, but right now on Apple silicon it is not a thing when running on the Windows side because nested virtual machines don't work.

FWIW, if you want to publish your Maui project to Apple then you still need a Mac.

12. LUXURYR1

LUXURYR1 Bit poster

Seamless Harmony: Parallels Desktop for Mac Redefines Performance on Apple M2 Chips. Elevate your virtual experience with unparalleled speed, efficiency, and compatibility, as the power of Parallels meets the innovation of Apple's M2 architecture. A perfect fusion for a superior computing journey

13. JeffE3

JeffE3 Bit poster

Having lost my previous Parallels environment to a flooded Mac (!) I have a new M2 Max Powerbook with Ventura 13.5 and cannot find a way to recreate my system. I restored my system from a backup disk, repurchased Parallels which appeared to be expiring, and when I follow the instructions to create an ARM machine the first thing to happen is that the specified user folder is not available. Apparently when I first installed Parallels some years ago it ended up in a user directory whose name was my name with a "1" added. I cannot create a user with that name on this system - not allowed. Am stuck with no way to download and install Windows 11 for the new virtual machine. There must be some way to get a clean start?...

14. JeffE3

JeffE3 Bit poster

OK - answering this myself: I needed to change the preferences in Parallels - there it is possible to change the directory for the parallels documents!

15. SJZ

SJZ Bit poster

Just want to ask if Parallels could collaborate with Apple and hint to them nested virtualisation is a big need for many users. Many Hyper-V and security features on Windows 11 now require it. Linux users also would be thrilled to see it implemented to explore more options on software development. This feature is available on hardware since M2 and Asahi Linux even implemented it before Apple. I surmise Parallels' communication with Apple might be more consequential compared to my feedback to Apple again and again.

16. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

FWIW... I've been running Windows 11 Pro with Parallels, on my M2 Pro Mac mini, and I thought I'd install the new Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Devices apps, but I got an error message, "This product isn't compatible with your PC's processor."

17. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

As these already exist (more or less) on Mac machines, I'm going to assume you're trying to install the Windows version of them. If so, are they ARM64 versions of the software? If so, are they 64bit? I don't bother trying to run Apple apps on Windows when I already have a machine that runs them much better than on a virtual machine, but YMMV.

18. SJZ

SJZ Bit poster

I beg to dissent. In fact, M2 has the hardware capability of nested virtualisation, which is different from M1. M2's updated instruction set ARMv8.6-A provides the levy to do so. Asahi Linux, the famous project on Apple Silicon's Linux solution, has achieved its goal of supporting it on Linux. See the post from its founding developer: https://social.treehouse.systems/@marcan/109838053800961073

19. AdolfoS1

AdolfoS1 Bit poster

Good morning,

I just bought M2 Pro from Apple with apple silicon with the intention of having inside two virtualized machines with parallels, in which to have two development automation environments for iOS.

This environment requires each VM to have two mobile devices integrated by USB and to be able to sign with my appleID some of its features.

I have been doing some research and it turns out that there are limitations to this: https://kb.parallels.com/128867

with previous versions there was no problem with this, is there any alternative to solve this problem?

20. RobertH76

RobertH76 Bit poster

Nice pieces of information!