Parallels Desktop for Mac computers with Apple M2 chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,
    Unfortunately, we don't know if support for nested virtualization will be implemented in Apple's framework in the future.

2. DanielB80

DanielB80 Bit poster

Wondering if there's still no way to provide a type and serial # for a OSX VM with the m2? I need to enrol a vm with Jamf.

3. studioe

studioe Bit poster

Hi there,
    New here, if it's not the right forum sorry, thanks in advance for your help!

I have an issue with a program (TurboCad v28 - x64) so I thought I could get some help around here.
    I'm using a MacBook Air 2023 with M2 chip, 16GB of RAM and Ventura 13.4.1.
    I need this windows program, this is why for the moment I'm in trial period with Parallel Desktop 18.3.2 Pro Edition with windows 11, just to see that everything work (I have a PC but with this new mac I hoped I could solve everything with a virtual machine).
    No issue with Parallels installation, everything super smooth.
    I installed TurboCad but when I launch it, I get a "exception not handled, the program will close (it's in french so I'm guessing this is the right translation).
    Any idea of where the issue comes from and how I could solve it?

Thanks again

4. harryordinary

harryordinary Bit poster

Seems you cannot run macOS vm from an external disk. Reinstalled on my m1 local drive and it works now..

5. Jeanc13

Jeanc13 Bit poster

Yes you can , just move the .pvm file to the external disk

6. harryordinary

harryordinary Bit poster

I do that with all my VM's like debian, opensuse etc and that's working great. However not for macOS Monterey, it just won't run like that on my m1 mini.

7. Jeanc13

Jeanc13 Bit poster

What Format you use for the external drive? what parallels version are you using?
    I'm running Ventura pvm on external nvme with 6gb of ram attributed and it's very slow compare to windows11 and linux ( i've got 16gb of ram on my mac mini m2)

8. harryordinary

harryordinary Bit poster

Hi, I run Parallels 17 on macOS Monterey. The format of the drive is APFS.

9. rumours

rumours Bit poster

you can't run your macOS Vm (arm64) on an external drive which isn't APFS-formatted: https://kb.parallels.com/128867

10. RobW16

RobW16 Bit poster

I am using exFAT format for the external drive and I am using Parallels version 17.1.0

11. yAk1

yAk1 I forgot my password Junior Member

Yesss it is hot. I use M2 24 gb 1tb ssd I have win11, kali and ubuntu... And I don't like to choose a password for my vms also I dont want to start with parallel user name. Also do you know what is root password? One more another annoying thing, linux never goes grub with -e button!

I really need help but this forum also complicated!

12. koushikn

koushikn Bit poster

Hi I am unable to install windows 12 on my Mac Pro with apple chip.
    I have downloaded the parallels. when I try to install it, it hangs with no access to proceed to install windows.
    I want my money back. this is absolute waste of money for parallels and also the money I paid for windows

13. koushikn

koushikn Bit poster

when I try to install parallels and windows, the software hangs and does not allow me to install windows. I am using MacBook Pro with apple chip. This is waste of money I paid for parallels based on their advertisement and paid for windows subscription which I can not install. I want my money back. I have attached the screen shot of what I see when I try to install windows

Attached Files:

14. yAk1

:)) hehehe nice joke! probably you downloaded some viruses there is no windows 12! Not yet! If you are sure you have some connections on the network, I highly recommend to you delete that file! Windows 12 comes 2024!

15. koushikr

koushikr Bit poster

Sorry, typo error.

yAk1 likes this.
  16. koushikr

koushikr Bit poster

Fact remains parallels dosebt work on Apole chip?? I have posted the picture of the software not working. Do I get a refund?

17. yAk1

Try to click "play" putton on the screen. It automatically stops (I think you can change it from configurations), if you dont do anything on VM because it use from your machine!

18. yAk1

Have you ever tried to put old windows versions? Does it work smoothly? Yes I am talking about XP, 7, 8 and etc...

19. rara5678

rara5678 Bit poster

Hi,
    Does anyone know how to change the System Manufacturer and System Model?

I wanna change it so it's not detected as a virtual machine. I used to use a windows laptop running vmware workstation, and the command for that is SMBIOS.reflectHost = "True" . Is there a similar command for Parallels?

I use a Macbook Air M2 2022 and Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition.

If anyone has any input or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

20. BasicGoodmorning

BasicGoodmorning Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    I'm using a MacBook Pro with 64GB M2 Max and I purchased Parallels. I installed Windows 11 and Visual Studio 2022 within Windows. I'm working on a Maui project, and I need to open the Android emulator. However, I keep getting errors because Hyper-V is not available, and I can't run the emulator. If this is a common and unresolved issue, I will return the Mac and cancel my Parallels subscription.