Windows 10 for ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by DonaldB4, Dec 17, 2020.

1. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Not necessarily. You can use the Insider Preview without activating it. If you have a Windows Pro license from an old Intel Windows that you are no longer using, you can use that to activate the ARM version, though.

2. P.v

P.v Bit Poster

I downloaded a VHDX image. Created a new virtual machine from Parallels Control Center. Walked through the wizard, clicked the large tile "Create New - Install Windows from a DVD or image file". The wizard automatically found the VHDX file and from there it installed Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview without any problems. Your Mac user should have admin-rights though, otherwise it will not run smoothly.

3. FrancisF1

FrancisF1 Bit Poster

Hi. For how long will this "Insider Preview" work? I got it up and running ok but will this continue to work indefinitely? I expect not.

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I activated my copy and can't say for sure, but I think it will work indefinitely. At least if you keep updating to the latest builds which are released frequently.

5. Aidyn

Aidyn Bit Poster

Ok, I've installed Windows. Now I can't install Netframework 3.5, have anybody do this? I'm getting 0x800F0950 error, and I've search all over the Internet, but I can't resolve this problem for 3 days. I think that it is because of arm64

6. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Keep an eye on this thread. No solution yet, though.

7. CathyC

CathyC

Is there an Insider Preview version for Windows home? That's the one I have a product key for. I installed Windows 10 ok in Parallels, but can't activate it because it is Windows Pro instead of Windows Home.

8. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Unfortunately not. However, you don't necessarily need to activate Windows as long as you keep updating to new builds and don't need some customisation options (themes, fonts).

9. CharlesS17

CharlesS17 Bit Poster

I am also having problems with the Windows 10 ARM preview. I go to the MS download page, but can not get onto the tab to the program. I think it may be because I do not have any version of Windows installed, so I am not recognized I do not want to try to purchase and download a "regular" version of Windows 10, and then get the preview, because I am concerned it might cause problems on the Mac (also, MS might just refuse to do it because it's incompatible with the Mac). Microsoft could offer no assistance, nor could Apple. Anybody able to help?

10. Marcv5

Marcv5

11. Harry12

Harry12 Bit Poster

Die Preview-Version(Windows 10 Pro - Evaluierungskopie Build 21365.co_release.210416-1504), die ich installiert habe, ist ja eine Pro(es gibt ja wohl keine Home-Version) und ich habe ja nur den Home-Produktschlüssel. Seit gestern steht bei mir auf dem Windows Startbildschirm "Windows aktivieren - wechseln Sie zu den Eistellungen um Windows zu aktivieren"!!!! Kann ich aber mit meinem Home-Schlüssel nicht. Ich habe immer alle verfügbaren Updates installiert. Was für Konsequenzen hat ggf. diese Meldung und was kann/muss ich machen???

12. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

What kind of error? Could you post a screenshot?

13. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Solange immer die neuen Builds installiert werden halten sich die Konsequenzen in Grenzen. Ein paar kosmetische Features (Themes, Fonts) stehen nur zur Verfügung wenn Windows aktiviert ist. Ansonsten kann man aber auch ohne Aktivierung die Insider Preview nutzen.

14. Harry12

Harry12 Bit Poster

Ihr Wort in Gottes Ohr:)

15. ChristianC8

ChristianC8 Bit Poster

Windows 10 Pro Build 21370.co_release.210424-1611 corrected the problem. Updating Windows corrected the problem without a reinstallation.

16. FerdinandR

FerdinandR Bit Poster

I have followed the instructions for setting up Windows 10 ARM64 under Parallels 16.5. When it asks for the Windows VHDX file, I select the file I downloaded (build 21354) and parallels gives me an "Unable to detect operating system" error. If I press Continue, select Windows 10, Productivity, and Create, I get "operation failed. Failed to execute the operation."
    Any ideas how to get past this problem?

17. Harry12

Harry12 Bit Poster

Seit einem Windows Intelligence-Update am 19.04.21. synchronisiert sich die Zeitanzeige nicht mehr automatisch, muss nach Neustart immer manuell synchronisiert werden. Dabei ist es egal, ob nur Windows oder auch Parallels runtergefahren wird. Ich habe den Windows-Zeitgeber in Dienste von manuell auf automatisch gestellt und auch mal den Zeitgeber von Windows auf Internet umgestellt. Ohne Erfolg! Auch nach einem Update am 01.05. auf Build 21370 keine Änderung. Ist dieses Problem in Windows und/oder Parallels begründet und wie kann man ggf. eine automatische Zeitsynchronisierung wiederherstellen.

18. JamesY7

JamesY7 Bit Poster

Hi Phil, I'm getting the same error as you. If you hear anything, can you please let me know. Thank you, James

19. PhilS9

PhilS9 Bit Poster

Hi James,

I replied yesterday but my reply seems to got lost somehow....

I got it working a while ago.... hopefully this screenshot helps?

I think the forum objected to me linking to the Windows image I tried to include yesterday.

regards,
    Phil

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 10.25.03.png