High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. We didn't meet this issue at the latest Parallels Toolbox version. Could you please collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here.

2. AdamC6

AdamC6 Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem here. Two bsdtar process using both 100% cpu
    Catalina 10.15.4 and parallels Toolbox 2.6.1 on MBP 15. 2018
    Here's the support ticket number I just sent you: 336728232

Thank you

3. Ivano2

Ivano2 Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem here. 30 bsdtar process using both 100% cpu
    Catalina 10.15.4 MacBook Pro 2018.
    Parallels Last version 15.

Now I use a open source solution for virtual machine. I'm sorry for that. It was a really nice product that worked well.
    But I think There is not solution for this problem I don't have found nothing for repair this problem. Bho I hope one day someone will find an patch

4. ShawnT

ShawnT Bit poster

Once again, after a reboot, 8 bsdtar processes sucking up all the CPU, the cooling fan about to fly away, and the only fix is to manually quit the processes in Activity Monitor. Getting ridiculous that this is still an issue, and who knows how long it will continue to be a problem? It would be nice to see some action on this soon please. Thank you.

5. tekscrivener

tekscrivener Bit poster

In my case, I believe the cause of the hanging bsdtar processes was improper permissions on the ~/Library directory (no read/execute permission for group or other). I had about 8 of these processes running. I used Activity Monitor to stop them and suddenly my Windows VMs ran at full speed. I've changed the permissions on ~/Library to rwxr-xr-x (with group 'staff'). This is consistent with all the directories underneath. I don't know yet if this will stop future bsdtar processes from hanging, but it might explain why the developers didn't see this bug in Catalina testing. Maybe a fresh install of Catalina gets the ~/Library permissions correct, but an upgrade from Sierra (my case) does not. Or maybe it will still fail because the bsdtar process is unable to read the files it's trying to archive (even though, oddly, it's able to create empty tar.gz files in that directory). This also raises another question. Why is this logging behavior not user-configurable? It seems clear that what's happening is that Toolbox periodically tries to archive the old log files when creating a new one, but I'd like control over how many log files to keep and when/if the log files are archived. All of this is happening invisibly, and it should be a setting in the Toolbox preferences.

6. Kevin_Jordan

Kevin_Jordan Bit poster

Same issue here. I'm running Desktop version 15, but my toolbox was version 13. I have a permanent license for version 12 too. I uninstalled the toolbox, reinstalled the trial and was greeted with a message that says my product keep doesn't support the latest version and I had to downgrade the product. I tried to do that, which went nowhere. I'm happy to try a 7 day trial to see if the new version of toolbox works but there's no way that suite of miniapps is worth $20/year. I've now wasted an hour on this, but happily the old version is off my machine. if I need a tool, I'll reinstall version 13, use it quickly, and just get rid of it again. Pretty tacky to not have product support for a pervasive issue like this.

7. PeterB43

PeterB43 Bit poster

I had the same problem. Latest version of OS catalina & Parallels etc. The Parallels toolbox was causing my laptop to overheat constantly (MacBook Pro - 2014). I ended up resolving the bsdtar problem by changing the toolbox settings so that it didn't start up when I switched the laptop on. This completely stopped my laptop from overheating which was a huge relief. It took me about 2 hours to realise that it was the Parallels toolbox that was causing the actual problem in the first place. I had 8-11 bsdtar processes running at over 100% cpu usage. I was getting really worried about my laptop overheating as it was affecting its performance quite badly in everything else which was becoming a serious problem. Now I have no problems at all since I have disabled the toolbox. Clearly this is a serious problem with the toolbox bsdtar process and needs to be fixed before I will ever use the toolbox again.

8. MichaelJ30

MichaelJ30 Junior Member

Same issue here

9. DanielG20

DanielG20 Bit poster

I still have this issue. I reported it as well but the only workaround is to quitting bsdtar from activity monitor. This happens every two weeks. Everything is up to date.

10. Hello, please let us know your Parallels Toolbox and macOS versions.
    Thanks in advance.

11. DanielG20

DanielG20 Bit poster

macOS Catalina version 10.15.4 (19E287)
    Parallels Toolbox version 2.0.4 (1219)

12. Parallels Toolbox 2.0 doesn't compatible with the latest macOS.
    Could you please update your Parallels Toolbox to the latest build and check the issue?

13. DanielG20

DanielG20 Bit poster

I have the latest:
    upload_2020-4-20_21-11-52.png

14. DanielG20

DanielG20 Bit poster

I went into my account and my toolbox expired on 01/2020. I didn't know that. I guess I have buy an upgrade.

15. Aleksandr33

Aleksandr33 Bit poster

I have the same issue.
    See attached screenshots.

16. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

Hello, Maria. Can the Parallels team make a small release for those customers on a perpetual license of Parallels Toolbox? The last version for use with the perpetual license appears to be 2.0.4 and I rarely use those tools. I'm not asking for all the latest and greatest features and capabilities where I have to pay $20/year. I'm not asking for any change in functionality but for the Parallels team to make a small compatibility fix for macOS Catalina users such as those of us who have posted on this thread. I'm not sure if I speak for everyone on this thread but I certainly am not interested to upgrade to version 3.9. Thank you!

17. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

Hello, everyone. I have found a workaround for this problem. It is pretty simple, actually. Follow these steps:
    1. Quit the Parallels Toolbox app.
    2. Go to the /Users/_______/Library/Logs folder. (Underlined part of the path is your username).
    3. Then, scroll down to find the ParallelsToolbox folder.
    4. Open the ParallelsToolbox folder and delete all the files from it.
    5. Then, right click on the ParallelsToolbox folder and select Get Info.
    6. Change the permissions on the folder: set your user to Read Only and set Everyone to No Access.
    7. Restart the Parallels Toolbox app.
    Now, the app cannot create any files in there to run bsdtar on. All the commands fail silently. No more 100% processes after restarting or rebooting.

18. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

19. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

I found a workaround for this issue that involves changing the permissions for a folder in your user Library. I've confirmed this solves the problem on my side. I'm running Parallels Tools 2.0.4 on Catalina and had the same exact problem. Here is the permalink to my solution: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/high-cpu-usage-due-to-bsdtar-process.348187/page-6#post-866143

Maria@Parallels likes this.