Parallels Desktop for Mac computers with Apple M2 chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Jun 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. WeeH

WeeH Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. Also on the same hardware. M2 Macbook Air on Parallels 18.

Pls help!

2. BrianK12

BrianK12 Junior Member

Did you have to do anything special to get Inventor to run? I'm running Windows 11 Pro for ARM on a new M1 Max Macbook Pro. I am able to install but when I run Inventor, I just see the splash screen when it starts. Unfortunately, I don't get much further. After waiting minutes, I get the pop up to sign in and when I click to sign in, that window goes away and I never get any further. Oh, I have tried installing both with the downloaded files from the Autodesk portal and via the Autodesk Desktop app. Neither works. I also do have a license so that's not an issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. FrankM29

FrankM29 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I understand that some of you already run parallels on a 2022 M2 MacBook Air, as I plan to do as well: on a 8Gb / 256 machine.
    Did you have any issue so far?
    Memory wise, of course.
    Thanks

4. AzinS

AzinS Member

Doesn't M2 support nested virt? I have M1 and can't use WSL for this reason. Don't have option to test it on M2.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Parallels Desktop doesn't support nested virtualization on Mac computers with M-series chips (including M2 chips too). As for WSL support, that's correct - due to the lack of nested virtualization WSL 2 isn't supported on these Mac computers. But you can run WSL 1 that doesn't require it: https://kb.parallels.com/129234 .

6. BrianK12

BrianK12 Junior Member

Just a follow up on my issue running Autodesk Inventor, I was able to find a fix. Microsoft released Visual C++ for ARM so I downloaded and installed that. Once that was installed, Inventor opened right up for me.

7. Eisntein

Eisntein Bit poster

A critical graphical error occurred with windows

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello @Eisntein ,
    I've found your technical report. The process of the virtual machine is crashing. We'd like to reproduce the issue locally to find a possible solution for that. Would you help us and provide a detailed scenario of what you dod to have the issue reproduced?

9. ErikR4

ErikR4 Member

Just got a 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max w/32 GB RAM. I copied my Windows 11 Pro VM from my M1 Mac Mini. Everything went perfect.
    I upped my CPU count to 8 and memory to 16GB for my VM and still working great. Great job guys.
    BTW, the battery/power efficiency on these machines is great! I've always had to be close to a plug when using a VM. This machine can go for hours.

10. AndrewMcL

AndrewMcL Bit poster

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro M2 Pro and am trying to get a clean install of Parallels 18 installed.
    I download the installer (or application file) but when I run it the installer just seems to close after downloading the installation files.
    Nothing actually gets installed, and then Parallels installer icon on the desktop simply remains with those two "||" lines.
    Any idea what could be causing it, or how to actually get Parallels installed?
    Note: I'm using latest software of everything. I do have Sophos installed, but can't see why that would be causing a problem here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11. ErikR4

ErikR4 Member

Not sure what might be going on but the download I used was...
    ParallelsDesktop-18.1.1-53328.dmg
    Double-clicking on that gives me the Parallels installer. I click install and it just worked.
    I do not have Sophos installed so I can't/wouldn't rule that out depending on the settings.
    Parallels does use extensions so maybe Sophos is the issue.

12. Theoton

Theoton Bit poster

As soon as I open the Parallels, the computer restarts with a black screen, which is horrible and unusable. After restarting, the computer will also be disconnected from the network, and the application must be closed to recover.

MacBook Air M2
    macOS Ventura 13.2

upload_2023-2-14_13-54-42.png

13. KyleE3

KyleE3 Bit poster

Running Windows 11 ARM on a M2 Mac MacBook Pro
    I was wondering if anyone has gotten this program to work? https://plutonium.pw/
    It's a mod for the older call of duty games. All the call of duty games this mod supports open and run fine outside of the mod on Windows 11 ARM. When you try their .exe listed on the website the command window is there for like 2-3 sec then goes away. Any ideas?

14. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello,
    Please click the Parallels Desktop icon on the top Mac menubar and select 'Check for updates'. Once Parallels Desktop 18.2.0 is installed, check if the issue still remains.
    If it does, kindly collect a fresh technical report right after the reproduction of the issue and send me its 9-digit ID. Instructions are available at https://kb.parallels.com/9058 .

15. AaronL15

AaronL15 Bit poster

Anyone able to get the context menu working on the virtual machine under Control Center as in https://kb.parallels.com/125344?
    I just moved from my 2017 Intel MacBook Pro to the new M2 Max MacBook Pro. I just want to see the context in my old virtual hard drive.

16. AaronL15

AaronL15 Bit poster

Did that through Time Machine restore but no context menu at all.

17. AdedejiO

AdedejiO Bit poster

Hi, I currently have this question too and i specifically need to run windows 10 for me to be able to run a particular driver I use for work. Did you get any solution to this? Are you able to install windows 10 on your m2 by any chance?

18. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello @harryordinary ,
    Would you reproduce the issue again and collect a technical report at the moment of reproduction, please? For this click the Parallels icon on menubar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

19. harryordinary

harryordinary Bit poster

20. harryordinary

harryordinary Bit poster

Did you see my answer with the 9-digit ID. We're a week in now and I still cannot run my VM..