Still over 100% CPU Usage . . . HELP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnH36, Feb 26, 2020.

1. SaehoonD

SaehoonD Junior Member

I didn't check the exact version of 16 when I used it as trial version, and now the trial is over and I've returned to Version 13. Can I get one more trial with the version 16.1.0?

2. RickC3

RickC3 Bit poster

This is super frustrating. Does not happen every time but far too often. Still happens after a full restart of Windows 10 and Parallels. Sometimes it calms down after letting it consume my machine for 5 minutes. It kinds of defeats the purpose of quick resume from suspension.
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.26.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.26.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.28.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.29.29 AM.png

3. patonjo

patonjo Bit poster

Hi, I have same problem with my MacBook Pro 13 2019. CPU usage over 100%, fans at max. Big Sur installed and Parallels 16.1.1, running Windows 10 from Boot Camp. After doing nothing for 10 minutes CPU goes to 50% but then if I open Start menu on Windows CPU goes up to 200%, fans start spinning crazy and temp is going up. Not possible to work, I cannot concentrate with those fans at max :(

Is there any indication where the problem might be and that you are working on it?

4. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Problem solver

Hello, did you try any steps from this KB article?

5. patonjo

patonjo Bit poster

Yes I am, but no help

6. TerrenceS1

TerrenceS1 Bit poster

I am having a similar problem. System goes to 100% at times and my app hangs. What I see is if I go and start Task Manager From the Parallels bar is that System interrupts is running at 100%. After starting task manager the system free up and runs better until it happens again. I get this error whether or not I have my application in Windows running. Help from support has been marginal. The next thing they want me to do is rebuild my Windows virtual machine. I will do that but doubt that will fix the problem. My understanding is from a Windows standpoint is System interrupts is used to interface to the hardware. Since Parallels is providing Windows access to the hardware I would think that is where the problem is.
    upload_2020-12-4_14-38-48.png

7. AaronB15

AaronB15 Bit poster

same issues as everyone else. Still no support?

8. DAWood

DAWood Bit poster

Same issue started for me Friday Dec 4th 2020. I did have the issue on first update to 16 but 16.1 seemed to fix it

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  9. OmerZ

OmerZ Bit poster

I am having same performance issues. I have parallels version 16 (the latest). Generated a technical report and sent to Parallels - 356573594

10. Maria@Parallels

Hi, did you perform any steps from this KB article?

11. Maria@Parallels

Hi, could you please add 2 CPU and 3-4GB memory and check the issue?

12. SusanR3

SusanR3 Bit poster

Just did a search on this behavior and ended up here. I had all my fans running while doing nothing. Windows Task Manager showed 3% CPU usage. OSX Activity Monitor showed 150% CPU from my virtual machine.

I hope this is not normal.

13. MilosC

MilosC Bit poster

I found out its related to graphics settings for my set up - if I use scaled option (and thats what I would like to use as any other option for my vm win7 is useless) my CPU load is very very high (around 100% until machine is paused). If I go for any retina settings its around 20%.

Macbook pro 16" 64GB RAM 8core i9 4TB SSD.
    Virtual machine win7, 2 processors, 8GB RAM, 256GB hdd with more than 50% empty, high perf.graphics off, Hypervisor - parllels, graphics memory 512MB

Attached Files:

BogdanD1 likes this.
  14. AaronB15

AaronB15 Bit poster

Yeah, did nothing.

15. DanB12

DanB12 Bit poster

I have the same problem. I bought Parallels because i need one windows app to run. Seems there is no solution ? In this case i will ask for a refund and find another solution

AaronB15 likes this.
  16. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

I have a similar issue. VM process on macOS using 200%, Windows way less...

Tech report ID: 359861531

Very frustrating. After a long wait for Apple hypervisor issues to be fixed, now this... the app is barely usable.

Attached Files:

17. BogdanD1

BogdanD1 Bit poster

ME TOO
    ID: 360308685

Attached Files:

18. BogdanD1

BogdanD1 Bit poster

for all of you having problem with parallel desktop CPU.
    Do you use a second monitor?

19. BogdanD1

BogdanD1 Bit poster

ok, according tins article:
    "The maximum utilization of every CPU unit assigned to a virtual machine in Activity Monitor counts as 100%. For example, if your virtual machine has 4 CPU units assigned, then a total amount of CPU utilization by a VM will be 400%."

so, a value of cpu usage by parallel desktop process is normal to be over 100%.
    Our problem, I supose, is hight temperaure of CPU and noise of fan.
    I make several tests an I conclude that fan becoming crasy over 70 Celsius în CPU and this is happen only when I use the second monitor, bay be becouse of graphics processor temp.

For me, this topic is solved.

First image: with normal activity and second monitor: upload_2021-1-26_13-44-48.png

Second image, no activity and second monitor:
    upload_2021-1-26_13-45-41.png

thirth image: with activity and without second monitor:
    upload_2021-1-26_13-46-39.png

20. DanielG25

DanielG25 Bit poster

I started hitting this same thing after I enabled Nested Virtualization on the Windows10 vm. I use a bootcamp vm and wanted to use the linux subsystem. The difference between nested virtualization on and off is extreme. with it on, i'm running 200-800 %cpu according to Activity Monitor even when Task Manager is showing 5%. With it off, everything drops down to < 100%. right now cruising at 50% on the activity monitor.