Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

And yes I had done a clean shutdown of Windows before doing this reclaim. The image is ok/stable now.

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

New windows build just realeased:21286

3. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit poster

Does anyone know if there is a third party anti-virus application that will work on the new preview Windows 10 Build 21286? I tried loading Webroot but it was incompatible.

4. ChristopherG12

ChristopherG12 Bit poster

Still have the networking issue with 21286 build, but I suspect the issue occurred with the Christmas eve parallels preview update rather than a particular windows ARM build. That said, working around it by running a bat at startup that just does an ifconfig /renew That's working for now.

5. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I have the same issue. I think this is a parallels issue not windows. I used to have the same issue a few versions ago in VMware Fusion and they fixed it. For now I prefer to keep it as shared networking and type ipconfig /renew each time there is a hiccup.

6. KevinH31

KevinH31 Bit poster

Success for me so far. M1 is running the Parallels tech Preview just fine. Installed the Win10 ARM64 just fine. Then installed MS Expression Web4 just fine. I needed this to edit a website for a private client. So far so good. I have not upgraded to the new Dev build either. I think my MS Expression Web4 is 32BIT also, and it runs great. I did however install Rosetta 2 from the MAC Terminal first. I have yet to type in a key code for the Win10 ARM64 preview. Does it have a time limit to the number of days it will work?

7. KevinH30

KevinH30 Bit poster

I upgraded to the latest DEV build, and was successful in publishing web pages. So, this setup works for that need perfectly now. Where do I pay? :)

8. IanP3

IanP3 Bit poster

I installed the Win 10 Pro Insider Preview linked to in post #1 of this thread. The install went well as did the windows update, so I am now on Build 21301. I upped the System Memory to 8GB and installed Chrome and Slack, which is my minimal work environment.

9. IanP3

IanP3 Bit poster

2 of my legacy Windows apps (controlmynikon and whereisit?) are working so far.

Only 2 issues so far is that the Windows photo app doesn't want to start and I get an intermittent issue where the VM doesn't get a valid IP configuration using the default shared networking options., which can be corrected using the Windows network troubleshooter.

Overall I am pretty impressed with how things are going. Next up is to try an install of the office apps.

10. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Very interesting announcement in the Windows Insider blog:

NOTE: Build 21313 will not be offered to ARM64 devices due to an app compatibility issue. We hope to flight to ARM64 devices with the next flight once the issue is fixed.

So, I hope Windows Store App problem will be fixed in the next dev build.

11. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

This problem will remain as long as Microsoft continues to ship Arm32 binaries (like the Store) and as long as Parallels does not support Arm32 binaries in VMs.

12. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Honestly, I don't know. It would be good for Parallels to provide some clarity and a workaround if possible (for example, in most cases you can replace the Arm32 version with an x86 or x64 version, but that version gets replaced each time you patch windows)

MichaelH63 likes this.
  13. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Mixing responsibilities. Parallels is working on making a stable virtualization product. They can help, to some degree, Microsoft or users, but I'd expect they are working on getting parity to the Intel VM Manager.

14. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Junior Member

Parallels
    Version 16.3.2 (50531) Technical Preview
    Continues to improve the virtual machine experience for Windows ARM.
    Microsoft store now works! Suspending and taking snapshots also works!
    Nice work Parallels.
    Only problem is no sound ! still can't find a fix for that :(

15. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Interesting, mine is working. Did not do anything special to get it working. What is your output set to?

16. JohnC68

JohnC68 Bit poster

After updating to the latest Parallels build and making sure I'm up to date on Windows 10 ARM, I noticed that when I started my Win 10 ARM a window popped up saying Microsoft Store would be updated - which it did, then OPENED! I was now able to open all the bundled Windows applications which dated themselves and they now open run as normal. Someone pulled a switch somewhere I reckon!

AlexeyY1 and ChrisW38 like this.
  17. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Anybody try to purchase a license?

18. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Junior Member

I already had a windows 10 license, so no, it would be interesting to find out if you can.

19. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Sign-in with MS account seems broken. Looks like it's a 32-bit app.

20. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

For windows? If you already has licensed Windows and you registered into insider program, you are licensed to use insider builds as long as you stay into insider program. You can even later switch to the pre-release channel and receive only stable builds. The only disadvantage that you cannot switch off extended diagnostics while you are insider.